Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:50 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina
OK. Debsi you are a genius!!!
I too switched the Linear - oldest first to Hybrid and got white blank page! So, that's it!! That's the problem! I guess, no one is using it.
I switched to Hybrid Elnina and tried to open this thread "what is the last movie you have watched?" (11k+ replies) and I got a 500 error (Internal server error) so there is another problem with the site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 04:33 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Debsi, the Rep I just gave you, is LONG,
to wit: "How weird. when I used IE too a few years ago, >same BLANK-screen<.
I'm convinced Programmers have no clue, & so us Newbies get blamed for everything. Sigh. *Thank you for pointing this out*."
ok,
so I am not totally crazy after all; maybe just partly it comes with living on planet earth
Well don't look now, but it was a programmer that helped you today.

And it ain't an easy job writing perfect code that works every time for every version of every operating system, browser, forum software, individual forum account settings and individual browser preferences, but it sure is our goal as a profession. (I didn't write any of the code in use on this forum.)

Old 05-17-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Okay, - but then Explain another observation (which I had no way of knowing back in Jan. when I 1st. joined):
Back in January, I could access threads that had under 2000 posts (as per this/here thread I started).
Each month I started noticing... that I could Access... increasingly longer threads, & therefore I could also post in.

iow, now in May I can access threads with 4000-6000 posts. But still not the A good thing happened today!, & therefore no longer threads.
Now here's the thing:
That "Hybrid" display mode, I have NOT changed since my start, so how do you explain this progression??
I can't explain it, I don't know what's going on under the hood. I did find several hits when I googled the name of the forum software and hybrid error. It's called vBulletin, and it's not unique to city-data. It's commonly used forum software. I have no idea if there is a good fix for the problem or not.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:08 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I switched to Hybrid Elnina and tried to open this thread "what is the last movie you have watched?" (11k+ replies) and I got a 500 error (Internal server error) so there is another problem with the site

I am a little confused myself...
Will report it to Senior Mod Yac.

Last edited by elnina; 05-17-2017 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM

678 posts, read 438,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I can't explain it, I don't know what's going on under the hood.
I did find several hits when I googled the name of the forum software and hybrid error. It's called vBulletin, and it's not unique to city-data.
It's commonly used forum software. I have no idea if there is a good fix for the problem or not.
Thank you for all your research Debsi.

So I've gone to the "LINEAR - oldest first" mode, like you & many others. And I don't like it one tiny bit.
which
when you think of it, can be good, as most likely I will rarely post, except maybe pictures...

The reason I liked the HYBRID-mode: I can see who replied to whom, and so much easier to follow...

Thank you again.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all your research Debsi.

So I've gone to the "LINEAR - oldest first" mode, like you & many others. And I don't like it one tiny bit.
which
when you think of it, can be good, as most likely I will rarely post, except maybe pictures...

The reason I liked the HYBRID-mode: I can see who replied to whom, and so much easier to follow...

Thank you again.
Happy to help.

My way of organizing my view is to use Subscribed Forums view (which you set up on the very bottom of the My Settings sidebar). It's nothing like what you're looking for, but it works for me to "dull the roar" of information. I use the little blue arrow on the right of each thread I'm interested in to view the latest unread post.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Well don't look now, but it was a programmer that helped you today.

And it ain't an easy job writing perfect code that works every time for every version of every operating system, browser, forum software, individual forum account settings and individual browser preferences, but it sure is our goal as a profession.
(I didn't write any of the code in use on this forum.)
oh No, no less in a Rep to you, saying silly things, Please forgive me.

so maybe leave it in Hybrid-mode; - and when I want to post in "a Good thing happened today", &
some others, I can momentarily change it to "Linear-oldest first".
One advantage to the Linear is that the page loads like instantaneous.
But in Hybrid, it sits there like it's had a stroke before it eventually finds its way...
There are other forums with that same problem. Maybe sometime someone will Fix that.
Again, please accept my Apology. And thank you for helping me out with this one.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Happy to help.
My way of organizing my view is to use Subscribed Forums view (which you set up on the very bottom of the My Settings sidebar).
It's nothing like what you're looking for, but it works for me to "dull the roar" of information.
Yes, I already tried "Subscribed Forums", & a bazillion... plus threads showed up. Why?
Passionately interested in too many subjects, the perennial story of my life LOL

Quote:
I use the little blue arrow on the right of each thread I'm interested in to view the latest unread post.
Well, I tried to narrow down the list to only 4 - But now, only one Forum shows all the threads, &
I haven't yet figgered out how to start over.

You do realize that (as opposed to being clairvoyant only here & there), ALL we need to do is
learn... to be Clairvoyant on command..., as then we would not need puters.
===
I have lots more computer questions, would you help me in a different thread, Debsi?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Maybe sometime someone will Fix that.
I have reported it to Senior Mod Yac, and the computer gurus are going to check what's going on.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I have reported it to Senior Mod Yac, and the computer gurus are going to check what's going on.
Thank you ever so much for sticking with this, Elnina.
But too,
now you know that ^ problem is not me, nor my computer.
(even as I remain dumber than dumb re puters). ..............Trying to *keep peace*,
I tend to accept far too often responsibility...
where I had nothing to do with all sorts of bizarre situations.

on top of that I could not post for hours, because the Malewarebytes Database update was causing
both protection & scans to fail. Thank God it got fixed over night. That program fully protects against EVERYthing...

Have a *wonderful* day !, and weekend, everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers