Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:54 AM

147 posts, read 162,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge14 View Post
Hello,
I actually moved into my house two years ago. The house was built in 2014. I need help with the current wiring in my wire enclosure that's located in a closet. How would I be able to tell if the house is fully prewired with CAT 5e cables?
Two rooms currently have ethernet wall jacks and I can confirm they go to the wire enclosure in my closet. If the cables do run to the bedrooms how would I locate them in the walls?

[Mod edit: deleted/OP request]
Get a wireless router and you problem is solved.

Last edited by elnina; 03-03-2021 at 12:30 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 02:52 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Your pictures seem to only show Cable TV coax, and landline telephone wiring. Do you currently have Internet access ? If so, where is its modem and/or router ?

The 2 jacks you mention in the bedrooms, are they 6 pin or 8 pin ?
Quote:
Yes, there are coax cables and CAT 5e cables. Is there any reason you think the cables on the left side are landline?

Because they connect to a module (the H616) meant to distribute 4 landlines to 6 telephones ( like in a small office) Just because the cables are Cat5e, does not mean they are wired and used exclusively for Ethernet. They can also be wired differently and used for phones.

http://www.homecontrols.com/homecont...616_Manual.pdf

I believe one CAT 5e cable comes from the telephone company and is hooked up to the patch panel. I do have internet access with Cox, I came here to ask a few questions before moving my router and modem into the enclosure, they are currently upstairs in a bedroom.

The two jacks in the bedrooms are definitely 8 pin.

At this point it is hard to guess where the other end of those 2 cables are.
BTW, what is the purpose of the black box with coax cables in the bottom of the enclosure, and the 2 spliced wires near it ?

You may need to contact the original installers to figure this all out

Old 04-11-2017, 04:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Would the telephone outlet box be located outside or are you referencing the enclosure I took a picture of? This does make sense, as I stuck a camera in one of the holes in the enclosure and saw a bunch of wiring, but all the cables seemed to go into the enclosure.

EDIT: I have a CAT 5e cable labeled "alarm", I use ADT for my security system. Does this have anything to do with them?
I'm talking about the outlets in the rooms you are wanting to wire for ethernet. Take the cover off the telephone outlet and see what's in there. If there are extra cat 5 cables then that's for ethernet connections.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
BTW, what is the purpose of the black box with coax cables in the bottom of the enclosure, and the 2 spliced wires near it ?

https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-DV...y/td-p/4553821

Old 04-11-2017, 04:07 PM

OP, you might want to add a link to this thread in

http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/

There are some pretty sharp people over there.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:43 PM

11 posts, read 27,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Thanks, I actually meant how would I be able to find the wires inside the walls without tearing the walls apart? Would the wire tracer do the trick?

Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:

The black box belongs to DirectTV to amplifier the coax signal I believe.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm talking about the outlets in the rooms you are wanting to wire for ethernet. Take the cover off the telephone outlet and see what's in there. If there are extra cat 5 cables then that's for ethernet connections.
The only rooms that have ethernet jack wall plates are the two rooms, the rest of the rooms do not have any ethernet jack wall plate installed. Most of the rooms DO have coax wall plates, I took them apart to see if any CAT 5e cable was behind there, nothing was there expect for the coaxial cable.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:29 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
First, as has been said but obviously missed, those CAT5 cables are being used as phone lines. Unless you want to disable your phones (and apparently alarm) system, those lines are not viable to use for Ethernet. The tricky part is that even if You don't want to use those lines for phone/alarm, will someone else in the future? Will they balk at buying if it's not fully functional when they look?

As for Finding the wires, there are devices (tone and probe) that Can work to do this. But I expect that you'll have phone jacks around the house that are pre-wired with those CAT5 cables, pull those plates off and check/verify.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
First, as has been said but obviously missed, those CAT5 cables are being used as phone lines. Unless you want to disable your phones (and apparently alarm) system, those lines are not viable to use for Ethernet. The tricky part is that even if You don't want to use those lines for phone/alarm, will someone else in the future? Will they balk at buying if it's not fully functional when they look?

As for Finding the wires, there are devices (tone and probe) that Can work to do this. But I expect that you'll have phone jacks around the house that are pre-wired with those CAT5 cables, pull those plates off and check/verify.
I don't have any phone jacks in the house, only Cat 5e wall plates. The telephone patch panel you see in there was used for CenturyLink (DSL) I believe.

I will look into the tone and probe tool, thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers