U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:30 PM

96 posts, read 24,550 times

Advertisements

How much does an external hard drive have to fill up for it to start lagging due to too much space being used? What would be the percentage? I have 7.27TB of space, I am 1 TB away from filling it up half the size of 7.27. What is the percentage of the total of space I should fill up the external hard drive to guarantee lagging or slowing down of the external hard drive does not occur due to having too much space used?

Old 06-05-2017, 08:50 AM

10,756 posts, read 18,031,029 times
You can fill it up without issue. The only drive that will cause significant performance issues when close to full is the system drive, which is the one your operating system is installed on.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:54 AM

14,567 posts, read 16,581,200 times
Doesn't matter. It's all 1s and 0s whether they mean anything or not and takes the exact amount of time to spin the drive to where the meaningful data is stored whether there's 1% free space left or 99% free space left. The only thing that will make it "lag" is fragmentation. The old rule of thumb was somewhere around 10-15% free space to prevent fragmentation and give you some room to defragment. But that's an old rule of thumb that goes back to the dark ages. I'm not sure how applicable it is on multiple TB drives. Defragging isn't something we really think about anymore anyway. Windows just does it in the background.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:02 AM

4,643 posts, read 3,979,219 times
I might be the old school. I think you do not want to go past 90% on the old spinning platter type drives. Do not know about solid state drives.

You might mention the type of drive.

If you are slowing down have you run the defrag program and deleted old unused files?

Old 06-05-2017, 09:19 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,716,253 times
The reason for leaving 10% or so free is for scratch space for de-fragging. You gotta put those fragments somewhere while you move them around, ya know.

Contrary to popular belief, modern OS like Win 10 still de-fragment. It just takes place in background during idle time, as malloric said. But you still need space to do it.

SSD do not need de-fragmenting because the whole concept does not fit SSD architecture. In fact de-fragging one can shorten its life while giving no benefit.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:24 AM

10,756 posts, read 18,031,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
The reason for leaving 10% or so free is for scratch space for de-fragging. You gotta put those fragments somewhere while you move them around, ya know.

Contrary to popular belief, modern OS like Win 10 still de-fragment. It just takes place in background during idle time, as malloric said. But you still need space to do it.

SSD do not need de-fragmenting because the whole concept does not fit SSD architecture. In fact de-fragging one can shorten its life while giving no benefit.
That depends entirely on who you ask. There are just as many tech blogs claiming you shouldn't as there are claiming you should.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:15 AM

4,169 posts, read 9,427,649 times
SSD doesn't having moving parts but it comes with it's own issue that affects performance, garbage collection.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:50 AM

2,304 posts, read 3,498,341 times
File access delays come from when there are a lot of non-contiguous sectors being read, or
there isn't one section of contiguous free sectors large enough for the file being written.

The delays come from the system having to wait for the drive head to move, and the electronics to wait for the platter to spin around to the right place on the disk.
However, on newer drives, but both the head movement and platter rotation are FAST so this is pretty minor.

This was one of the primary reasons to deFragment the drive, to reduce or eliminate the fragments and have the files all one continuous read or write.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,716,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That depends entirely on who you ask. There are just as many tech blogs claiming you shouldn't as there are claiming you should.
Just proves there a lot of ill informed bloggers. Fortunately Windows has gotten pretty good at recognizing SSD and not de-fragmenting them. As others have pointed out, SSD don't have rotational delays AND they don't have sequentially arranged sectors.

You NHDave, can defrag your SSD as you wish. The only harm is reduced drive life, in theory, but not probably in practice. Flip side is it won't help anything.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:09 PM

96 posts, read 24,550 times
Seagate told me when it gets close to full it can slow down the external hard drive but they didn't give me a percentage. So I guess base on what I'm reading here I will try to fill it up to 80% the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or