Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times

Advertisements

I use a laptop for its portability and space-saving at work. At home, for work related things, I use my iMac (the giant one); for casual surfing I use my iPad.

I will use whatever technology is made available to me. I prefer NOT to use a PC (I never got over XP being discontinued....

I'm just an Apple person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 09:16 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
I don't use anything but a laptop, and hate the touchpad for navigation. I just use the arrow keys and PgUp / PgDn. Using a mouse means having to take your hand off the keyboard. To me, that's a big nuisance.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:10 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
My main problem with laptops is I absolutely hate the fact that you have to use your finger as the scrolling component. It annoys me and its much easier to use a mouse. Also I hate the fact that you have to either put the laptop on your lap, or bend over and hurt your back when you put the laptop on a table. Lastly I hate how the keys are steeped inside the keyboard instead of outwardly.

Unless somebody gives me a laptop for free... I'll never buy a laptop, and I don't see why people do.

Am I the only one who hates laptops?
So plug a mouse in. So plug a keyboard, mouse, and external keyboard in.

I love laptops. They make my job infinitely easier. I also don't sit there for four hours at a time and work on a laptop. If I'm at my desk (work from home but out in the field nearly every day) the laptop is docked. I played around with cloud computing but had too many problems with it as the software I use really isn't meant to be used by multiple users so I was constantly cleaning up duplicate copies of files or on rare cases having work overwritten and Google Drive and Office both have tendencies to get stuck and stop syncing... just lots of wasted time.

If you never move the thing, I have no idea why you'd buy a laptop though. They're slower and more expensive than a desktop. The point is that I can put it in my bag, take it to meetings, get 45 minutes of work done at a coffee shop between appointments. Then I can get home and drop it on the dock, one connector, and I've got external monitors, keyboard, mouse, speakers, headphones, wired Ethernet and it's just like a slightly under-powered desktop. Fine for my needs as I'm not doing any heavy photoshop or video editing or CAD where having a lot of processing power is important.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
The pad and eraser are strictly backup devices for those rare and brief times when a mouse isn't plugged in, in my usage. I use a dock with three monitors, a wireless keyboard, and a good wireless Logitech mouse (I think it's the G602). Those occasions when I have to be mobile I still always bring the mouse. In fact, the trackpad is disabled on my work laptop.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 AM

296 posts, read 644,643 times
user Laptop most of the time, I can even lay down and lay it on my chest, or put it on a desk with an external mouse.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The problem is that very few laptops support it.
Most laptops sold in the Windows 10 era (last 2 years) fully support multi touch.

Touchpads are amazing today. If you haven't used one lately, you need to give them another try. Using 2 ginger on a touch pad to scroll a web page is WAY easier any much more ergonomic then gripping a mouse and using a wheel.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:03 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
My main problem with laptops is I absolutely hate the fact that you have to use your finger as the scrolling component. It annoys me and its much easier to use a mouse. Also I hate the fact that you have to either put the laptop on your lap, or bend over and hurt your back when you put the laptop on a table. Lastly I hate how the keys are steeped inside the keyboard instead of outwardly.

Unless somebody gives me a laptop for free... I'll never buy a laptop, and I don't see why people do.

Am I the only one who hates laptops?
You can use a mouse with a laptop. You can get a USB cooler that the laptop sits on so that you can comfortably have the laptop in your lap.

I can't help you on the keyboard deal. You can hook up a USB keyboard of your liking, but that might be a little awkward if you have the laptop in your lap.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:01 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Most laptops sold in the Windows 10 era (last 2 years) fully support multi touch.

Touchpads are amazing today. If you haven't used one lately, you need to give them another try. Using 2 ginger on a touch pad to scroll a web page is WAY easier any much more ergonomic then gripping a mouse and using a wheel.
Generally depends.

The $500-600 laptops most have awful touchpads still. The $800+ models (unless you're talking gaming laptops) are usually pretty good. Gaming laptops almost universally have horrible touch pads since they're not expecting anyone to ever use them anyway.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
count me in on laptops!

I detest the finger pad and how it freezes sporadically.

I did try a Mac Laptop that was more user friendly....only cuz it had a touch screen
Mac laptops don't have touch screens.

Apple makes the iPad, but that isn't a laptop....it's a tablet...runs via IOS, not a Mac OS X computer operating system (High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Mavericks, Snow Leopard, etc).

I'm typing this on a new in 2016 MacBook Air running El Capitan on the Mac side, and Windows 10 on the Boot Camp partition.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:52 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Mac laptops don't have touch screens.

Apple makes the iPad, but that isn't a laptop....it's a tablet...runs via IOS, not a Mac OS X computer operating system (High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Mavericks, Snow Leopard, etc).

I'm typing this on a new in 2016 MacBook Air running El Capitan on the Mac side, and Windows 10 on the Boot Camp partition.
I use an iPad daily. Apple would have won the tablet race if in their iPad Pro they would have offered a full on Mac OS instead of IOS.

If my iPad bites the dust, I am tempted to go the MacBook route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers