Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:50 AM

717 posts, read 1,149,520 times

Advertisements

Search for successful people with ASD. And be inspired.

I know a few people with Asperger's Syndrome. A couple of them, very close to me. While its been difficult in social situations, ASD has proved to be an asset for them technically. They're better at technical skills (i.e. Math, Physics, Music, Gaming (Video) and Computer Programming/Software Development) than their peers, who are busy partying and chugging beers.

Positive Attitude - They've recognized that ASD can be an asset (better concentration/laser focused) and have leveraged it to their benefit.

To be specific: this friend of mine with ASD became a doctor. ASD apparently helped him be more focused (his words). He did struggle a bit during his residency, mostly because of his social awkwardness. And dreaded the thought of working in a hospital because of all the people he would have to deal with daily (ironic, for a doctor). Someone jokingly suggested to him: "you should just be a pathologist. You can't do any damage. Your "patients" are already dead?!"

Guess what? That idea bulb lit up. He did become a pathologist. And a very successful one at that now. And his social skills have gotten better over the years. To the point that he now travels all over the world to attend AND SPEAK at seminars and clinics.

Another friend of mine, also with ASD, was just an average student. Socially inept. Super shy. Very introverted. Hs difficulty driving because of a problem with depth perception. Loved being alone or just close friends. Excellent online gamer, though. Kicked everyone's a$$. But had difficulty finding a job. A chance conversation with his cousin on the West Coast gave him his lead. He ended up leveraging his ASD (laser focus) and gaming skills. Also by improving his writing skills. He became a Game Tester and Reviewer. I didn't know that field pays six figures?! For playing games and writing. That would be my dream job.

Unfortunately, I don't have ASD. Not anywhere close to his concentration and focus. I can't come up to his gaming skill level. Not yet, anyway.

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." - Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:29 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Search for successful people with ASD. And be inspired.

I know a few people with Asperger's Syndrome. A couple of them, very close to me. While its been difficult in social situations, ASD has proved to be an asset for them technically. They're better at technical skills (i.e. Math, Physics, Music, Gaming (Video) and Computer Programming/Software Development) than their peers, who are busy partying and chugging beers.

Positive Attitude - They've recognized that ASD can be an asset (better concentration/laser focused) and have leveraged it to their benefit.

To be specific: this friend of mine with ASD became a doctor. ASD apparently helped him be more focused (his words). He did struggle a bit during his residency, mostly because of his social awkwardness. And dreaded the thought of working in a hospital because of all the people he would have to deal with daily (ironic, for a doctor). Someone jokingly suggested to him: "you should just be a pathologist. You can't do any damage. Your "patients" are already dead?!"

Guess what? That idea bulb lit up. He did become a pathologist. And a very successful one at that now. And his social skills have gotten better over the years. To the point that he now travels all over the world to attend AND SPEAK at seminars and clinics.

Another friend of mine, also with ASD, was just an average student. Socially inept. Super shy. Very introverted. Hs difficulty driving because of a problem with depth perception. Loved being alone or just close friends. Excellent online gamer, though. Kicked everyone's a$$. But had difficulty finding a job. A chance conversation with his cousin on the West Coast gave him his lead. He ended up leveraging his ASD (laser focus) and gaming skills. Also by improving his writing skills. He became a Game Tester and Reviewer. I didn't know that field pays six figures?! For playing games and writing. That would be my dream job.

Unfortunately, I don't have ASD. Not anywhere close to his concentration and focus. I can't come up to his gaming skill level. Not yet, anyway.

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." - Winston Churchill

That's a good post, but I want to point out that not all Aspies have laser focus nor are they better at techie stuff...OP is not. She keeps starting threads about a computer programming career because people keep insisting she should have natural computer talents and skills due to her disorder, but she does not. She also has a hefty dose of OCD which makes it much worse. OP is not a focuser, she's a daydreamer.

I do believe OP can be successful, but she needs individual aptitude testing to find what HER talents are suited for, and also guidance with compensating for her shortcomings caused by the disorders.
She is over 30 and in student loan debt to the tune of hundreds of thousands, simply being inspired isn't going to cut it, OP needs actual help which she has not yet taken action to get.

I just think it's a disservice to tell somewhat what they should be good at based on only their diagnosis.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:14 PM

717 posts, read 1,149,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's a good post, but I want to point out that not all Aspies have laser focus nor are they better at techie stuff...OP is not. She keeps starting threads about a computer programming career because people keep insisting she should have natural computer talents and skills due to her disorder, but she does not. She also has a hefty dose of OCD which makes it much worse. OP is not a focuser, she's a daydreamer.

I do believe OP can be successful, but she needs individual aptitude testing to find what HER talents are suited for, and also guidance with compensating for her shortcomings caused by the disorders.
She is over 30 and in student loan debt to the tune of hundreds of thousands, simply being inspired isn't going to cut it, OP needs actual help which she has not yet taken action to get.

I just think it's a disservice to tell somewhat what they should be good at based on only their diagnosis.
In case you haven't noticed, this is a forum for opinions. I was giving my opinion, based on my own personal experience. Nobody is diagnosing anyone here. Well, except maybe you.

My point was attitude and inspiration are very important to succeed in life. Add some Passion for what you do too. You can take a whole battery of aptitude tests and those people will tell you what their studies show. But your success will still require a positive attitude, inspiration and passion.

As I've already said, I have a few friends with ASD. So I know that not all ASD folks are alike. I personally know about OCD and ADHD. One of my friends even has a mean and violent streak. He resents his therapists. Always comes out more agitated than when he went in. But he calms down and listens to us. We're certainly not qualified therapists or doctors. Just friends. So we're cool with him.

And those two friends I mentioned who've had ASD since childhood and are very successful now? Well, as you well know, ASD folks don't give a rip about the results of those aptitude tests that were forced on them by their parents and schools to take. Another common trait my two friends have is they don't care what people think, people's opinion of them nor what the doctors/therapists say. They think very differently than "normal" people.

This one is a bit closer to home. About those Meyers Brigg and other career aptitude tests ... I went through a whole battery of them during my pre-teen and teenage years. No, I don't have ASD. I was just one of those kids people considered "weird". My teachers felt I was distracted, had ADD, was an underachiever, no goal in life, .... basically a loser. And told my parents their opinion. (I had a good relationship with my parents.) On top of that, I loved shooting firearms (targets, not animals). Also I loved making pillboxes, molotov cocktails, flame throwers and explosions. A sick puppy, by today's standards. Nobody ever got the fact that I wasn't violent. I never had the urge to hurt people nor animals. And was always very careful and methodical about safety.

All those aptitude tests and psychological tests pretty much confirmed it. I was fit for manual labor. Mechanical, not intellectual. With a possible violent streak ?! Maybe even jail time, if I'm not careful.

School academics wasn't important to me. I would fail practically all my subjects during the first semester. Then rally the next semester just enough to pass the year.

Long story short (too late for that now, ), it turned out to be a matter of timing. The "switch" just hadn't turned on. High school was fun but so academically boring. Too easy. Not academically challenging at all. I couldn't explain anything to my parents, teachers nor guidance counselors. This "loser" was bored with what was being taught in high school. Nobody ever diagnosed that. The school counselors and psychiatrist thought I was making excuses when I was saying "school was so boring". Nobody ever asked how this kid, who skipped classes, could pass the year (barely), with only a pencil or ballpen in hand, no notes nor books.

I ended going to a small college at first. And promptly got Intellectually challenged. Then learned about computers. Moved on to a larger university. Graduated early. Have had an excellent career and businesses.

So, while I'm sure those aptitude tests may help some people, for me and my "weird" friends, they were just a waste of time and resources.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
In case you haven't noticed, this is a forum for opinions. I was giving my opinion, based on my own personal experience. Nobody is diagnosing anyone here. Well, except maybe you.

My point was attitude and inspiration are very important to succeed in life. Add some Passion for what you do too. You can take a whole battery of aptitude tests and those people will tell you what their studies show. But your success will still require a positive attitude, inspiration and passion.

As I've already said, I have a few friends with ASD. So I know that not all ASD folks are alike. I personally know about OCD and ADHD. One of my friends even has a mean and violent streak. He resents his therapists. Always comes out more agitated than when he went in. But he calms down and listens to us. We're certainly not qualified therapists or doctors. Just friends. So we're cool with him.

And those two friends I mentioned who've had ASD since childhood and are very successful now? Well, as you well know, ASD folks don't give a rip about the results of those aptitude tests that were forced on them by their parents and schools to take. Another common trait my two friends have is they don't care what people think, people's opinion of them nor what the doctors/therapists say. They think very differently than "normal" people.

This one is a bit closer to home. About those Meyers Brigg and other career aptitude tests ... I went through a whole battery of them during my pre-teen and teenage years. No, I don't have ASD. I was just one of those kids people considered "weird". My teachers felt I was distracted, had ADD, was an underachiever, no goal in life, .... basically a loser. And told my parents their opinion. (I had a good relationship with my parents.) On top of that, I loved shooting firearms (targets, not animals). Also I loved making pillboxes, molotov cocktails, flame throwers and explosions. A sick puppy, by today's standards. Nobody ever got the fact that I wasn't violent. I never had the urge to hurt people nor animals. And was always very careful and methodical about safety.

All those aptitude tests and psychological tests pretty much confirmed it. I was fit for manual labor. Mechanical, not intellectual. With a possible violent streak ?! Maybe even jail time, if I'm not careful.

School academics wasn't important to me. I would fail practically all my subjects during the first semester. Then rally the next semester just enough to pass the year.

Long story short (too late for that now, ), it turned out to be a matter of timing. The "switch" just hadn't turned on. High school was fun but so academically boring. Too easy. Not academically challenging at all. I couldn't explain anything to my parents, teachers nor guidance counselors. This "loser" was bored with what was being taught in high school. Nobody ever diagnosed that. The school counselors and psychiatrist thought I was making excuses when I was saying "school was so boring". Nobody ever asked how this kid, who skipped classes, could pass the year (barely), with only a pencil or ballpen in hand, no notes nor books.

I ended going to a small college at first. And promptly got Intellectually challenged. Then learned about computers. Moved on to a larger university. Graduated early. Have had an excellent career and businesses.

So, while I'm sure those aptitude tests may help some people, for me and my "weird" friends, they were just a waste of time and resources.
I already stated the inspiration was good. What I objected to was stereotyping OP by TELLING her if she is ASD she is good at tech stuff and has good focus. I know from years of OP's posts that this is not the case with her, and I think well-meaning folks who keep trying to steer OP toward tech careers simply on the basis of her being ASD so she must be magically a computer genius with laser focus, messes her up and confuses her more about what to do because she knows she does not have natural math or technical skills but people on the forum are always telling her she SHOULD because all ASD people must be the same.

She is floundering severely and has been for years, and yes, I think ASD-specific aptitude testing is going to help her a whole lot more than inspiring stories. But again, it's mainly the stereotype of "people with ASD have talent in ____ area" stated as fact, that I was objecting to.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 07-21-2017, 06:15 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
That's a good post, but I want to point out that not all Aspies have laser focus nor are they better at techie stuff...OP is not.
I do if I'm interested in something. If I'm interested in something, I obsess over it, and I try to learn everything I can about it. Yes, it's usually something I don't need to learn more about, as it probably won't translate into job skills, and I do have a problem controlling exactly WHAT my brain likes to focus on, but I do have that characteristic laser focus when I'm interested and it seems like fun, not work.

She keeps starting threads about a computer programming career because people keep insisting she should have natural computer talents and skills due to her disorder, but she does not. She also has a hefty dose of OCD which makes it much worse. OP is not a focuser, she's a daydreamer.

Yes, OCD interferes with everything, but, for me, daydreaming and focus aren't exactly mutually exclusive activities. I tend to obsess over, and daydream about, my interests, but, like I said, I usually develop obsessions with things that probably won't translate into job skills, although I did become mildly obsessed with teaching, so I got a degree in it. Bad move.

I agree with this, as, like I've stated before, my interests don't always translate into aptitude. I might even have a habit of focusing on, and daydreaming about, things that I'm not very good at, because it's the way I want to be, if that makes any sense. I did well in many of my Education and Communication courses, for instance, even though I'm still not great at these things.

I won't argue with most that, but I am younger than "over thirty." I guess I shouldn't have included my age really, but people are expected to have completed certain milestones by certain ages, and I feel like I'm not going to meet that expectation. It's a little stressful, really. Had I been able to stay in an environment like K-12, where people basically micromanage your life, I would probably appear a lot more successful. To my knowledge, though, there are no programs like that. Once you graduate high school, you are on your own, even if your brain would naturally have you stay in and focus on playing video games all of the time if it felt like you could get away with that. (Not to say that's a bad thing, I've gotten so much inspiration from playing certain games but it probably wasn't the most productive way for me to spend the time, and since I didn't have any deadlines, responsibilities, or general structure, I wasted a lot of time while I was in college, time I could have used figuring out my aptitudes, applying for work at a cooperative, getting tested for autism, or just sitting down with someone and discussing my options.) Without structure, I could list my goals and interests all day, but it's not likely I would meet any of them.

I'm not naturally good at computer programming, and I'm only sort of interested in it. When I'm not really interested in something, it's pretty difficult for me to focus on it on my own. I can take a class and usually pass it, but does that teach me what I need to know? I'm not really certain it does if my experience with teaching and failing at stuff that might be "common sense" to other people is any indication. I'm strangely good at making lessons dry and boring, have no concept of how to really change it, and feel like I need a script sometimes. I really do think having a script would be logical, given all I'm expected to do; it works for teaching ESL, but I'm finding out that people often don't do the logical thing, for whatever reason. That's one thing that makes "common sense" such a confusing concept to me. In some cases, it's a misnomer, as it isn't really based on logic. They say, "common sense is sometimes not so common," or something like that. Isn't it strange that we know all of these things about human behavior and thinking but still don't really do anything about it?

Last edited by krmb; 07-21-2017 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
I'm not naturally good at computer programming, and I'm only sort of interested in it. When I'm not really interested in something, it's pretty difficult for me to focus on it on my own. I can take a class and usually pass it, but does that teach me what I need to know? I'm not really certain it does if my experience with teaching and failing at stuff that might be "common sense" to other people is any indication. I'm strangely good at making lessons dry and boring, have no concept of how to really change it, and feel like I need a script sometimes. I really do think having a script would be logical, given all I'm expected to do; it works for teaching ESL, but I'm finding out that people often don't do the logical thing, for whatever reason. That's one thing that makes "common sense" such a confusing concept to me. In some cases, it's a misnomer, as it isn't really based on logic. They say, "common sense is sometimes not so common," or something like that. Isn't it strange that we know all of these things about human behavior and thinking but still don't really do anything about it?
Obsessing about something is not the same as focusing on a task. You are (as I too am by nature) an "escaper", you obsess about something as a coping mechanism and to escape harsh realities. Please do not confuse that with having good focus when deciding a career path, it is NOT the same.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:19 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Obsessing about something is not the same as focusing on a task. You are (as I too am by nature) an "escaper", you obsess about something as a coping mechanism and to escape harsh realities. Please do not confuse that with having good focus when deciding a career path, it is NOT the same.
I know the difference. Trust me.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:37 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
I was diagnosed with Asperger's / Autism Spectrum Disorder a year or so ago, and I'm just about ready to resign myself to a cubicle somewhere where I apparently belong. My current job as a teacher just isn't getting me the results I want. The kids seem to hate me, and we just aren't connecting with one another. Plus, I've reacted emotionally more than once to stressful situations involving the kids, and that's a no-no. This job has definitely required me to have skills I don't think I have.

The problem with switching to computer programming, though, is I'm a novice when it comes to computers. I'm just a casual user like everyone else, except maybe the kids. If I'm going to get a job with computers, I need training. I know about a few free programs, but I get discouraged and stressed out pretty easily, making self-paced programs difficult for me to follow. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was wondering if anywhere offered OJT, but I doubt they do.
Have you looked at the Autodesk software programs? Maybe one of those appeals. Have a look at Civil 3D. It's in demand. Where I live, there's a four week, 25 hours a week, course that covers the first line to 3D modelling and assembly drawings in AutoCAD. Take that first, then Civil 3D. In the basement on a computer figuring stuff out. Might be a good choice for someone on the Asperger spectrum.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:41 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Meyers Brigg and other career aptitude tests are not about your interests, they are about finding a career based on your natural aptitudes. I know I suggested aptitude testing for you several times. It's a much better idea than choosing a career based on what you THINK a certain job is like (didn't work out too well for teaching, did it?)

Based on your posting history, I personally don't think computer programming is a good fit for you. I have seen posters here try to tell you how to find your own posting history, and you struggle with even simple things like that. You also struggled very much in your college math classes because it required problem solving skills and wasn't structured and laid out step by step for you. That alone tells me it's not going to be a good fit.

Aptitude testing would help you find a career you are suited for based on personality and skill set. Did you ever follow up btw with a phone call to the Alabama Autism Network?
I thought Meyers Briggs was a personality test that pigeon holes people into four letter descriptions. Isn't that the test that has "introvert" as an option?

Old 07-23-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I thought Meyers Briggs was a personality test that pigeon holes people into four letter descriptions. Isn't that the test that has "introvert" as an option?
I don't know. I didn't recommend anything in particular, I think OP needs aptitude testing as it applies to her disability, by a professional familiar with Autism and the difficulties it presents in the workplace. Many of us have given OP links and phone numbers to Autism resources in her area but she sends a generic e-mail then never follows up then comes back and says "I tried but no one answered me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers