Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:49 AM

13 posts, read 11,725 times

Advertisements

My external hard drive does not show up on my computer anymore. The external hard drive light does not turn on anymore, but I can hear it running. I tried running a couple of external recover problems to try to recover my external drive data, but they aren't finding the drive to begin with. Any suggestion on how to get my data back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 07:45 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Try a different port. Try it on a different computer. Is it a portable? does it require an extra power adapter? Try a different USB cable. You have to do things like this to troubleshoot.

Last edited by gguerra; 08-29-2017 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 08:11 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Diagnostic steps:

Check Power: Since you can hear (or feel) the xHDD actually spinning, then you know it has power.

Check Cable: I presume this is a USB-connected xHHD. Try using a USB cable that you have verified works by using it to connect other devices. Example: If you use a cable to plug in your smartphone to your PC and the PC sees the phone, then you know the cable isn't damaged. Sometimes they pins in the ends get bent.
If you have another xHHD that still works, try plugging it into the PC using this cable, to verify the cable.

Check PC: While both the PC and xHDD are powered up, try unplugging the xHHD and then plugging it back into PC. (USBs are 'hot-pluggable', ie they work better if plugged in after powering up). If this doesn't work, repeat after powering everything down, waiting at least 1 minute, then restarting everything.

Recover Data from dead xHDD: If the above steps fail, then you should consider the drive 'dead' and replace it.
However! All is not lost (pun intended): All USB xHHDs (or the vast majority that I've heard about), are really internal HDDs mounted in a box that has a circuit board that converts USB coming in to the SATA that all drives actually use. Typically, this board fails much sooner than the actual drive. You now need to evaluate how much money and effort you feel is worth attempting to get it's data. If it's super valuable, or irreplaceable, take the drive to a Data Restoration Specialty firm.
They will charge anywhere from $50 to look at it, to several hundred dollars to squeeze out the data, to $1-2,000 to transplant the internal platters over to a working drive.

If you are even a little bit handy, there's a step you should try first.
Open up the xHHDs case and extract the internal HDD from within it. Don't worry about damaging the case, or it's circuit board, they aren't needed. Then with the now-internal drive, try to use a xHDD docking station to pull the data out of it and into your PC.
For this, use a very cheap and easy to use Hard Drive external docking station, Amazon $20:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters.../dp/B0099TX7O4

I've owned about 20 xHHDs and have about half fail, usually after 3-4 years of operation.
In the past, it was a pretty big hassle to loose data, as the externals seem to fail 3-4 times as often as same-size/brand internal drives. But with the price drops, you can get 5 terabyte drives for $120, so I now just keep each external drive backed up to another external drive.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:12 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
so I now just keep each external drive backed up to another external drive.
A back up to the back up!

Have you tried online backup? Getting tougher for larger backups with Chrashplan exiting the consumer market, and no one else offering a seeded backup.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:25 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
... so I now just keep each external drive backed up to another external drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
A back up to the back up!
Have you tried online backup? Getting tougher for larger backups with Chrashplan exiting the consumer market, and no one else offering a seeded backup.
Thanks for the suggestion but my home-business deals with files too large and too often changed to consider on-line backup (or at least until I get my own T-1, or Google Fiber shows up <sigh>).
Also, I deal with different clients, each of whom gets their own xHDD. Each of those have their own xHDD used as a backup (Air-Gapped).

This is in addition to my own PC, that I back up to my own AGed xHDDs.
I have a LOT of xHHDs LOL. But again, the cost of a 5 Terabyte / USB 3.0 drive is about $110, the same as a regular dinner and a movie with a date.
Any day now, someone will come out with a petabyte drive and, once again, I'll consolidate.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:20 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Try using a different computer.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:26 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Yes, I have had a 1Tb Western Digital external drive go wrong and not be able to be read from. Annoying to say the least. There must be the same hard drive as in some laptops and they seem to last for ages. Maybe it is the way we treat the external drives that makes them go wrong?

Old 09-03-2017, 06:39 AM

^ there are many more points of failure in external HDD, from the power supply to the cable, and everything in-between. They also lead a harder life, with more shocks and general banging around.

When I trouble-shoot them, I start with the easy stuff - the cables and PS. if those check out, I take the HDD out of the case and use my external HDD adapter to connect to the computer. All my failures have been with the case.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:35 AM

844 posts, read 1,441,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert817 View Post
My external hard drive does not show up on my computer anymore. The external hard drive light does not turn on anymore, but I can hear it running. I tried running a couple of external recover problems to try to recover my external drive data, but they aren't finding the drive to begin with. Any suggestion on how to get my data back?
Do a system restore

Old 09-05-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Do a system restore
How would a system restore have any effect on an external drive problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers