Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 07:49 AM

131 posts, read 221,123 times

Advertisements

My computer stopped working so i removed the hard drive and safely disposed of it. I also removed the cd-rom. Now I just sold the remaining computer for parts. My question is, if the person gets the computer running again will there be any files of mine on there anywhere or is EVERYTHING always on hard drive alone? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:04 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
No. You'll be fine.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:30 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
You did the right thing.

The motherboard has chips which 'remember' settings (Called BIOS settings), but this will have nothing about you, only settings that tell the computer as it boots, things like which device to boot from, Hard Drives or from a CD or from a thumb drive, and such.

The CD / DVD / Blueray burner can burn data to disks. So if you remove all disks, you don't need to remove the burner.

What you do next depends on why you thought your PC went bad.
If it wasn't the drives, then get a new system and install the drives and you're back to full access to it's data.

If your drive was the problem, and you DON'T need the data on the drive, then before you throw it away, you need to make sure all of it's data is unreadable. There are several ways of varying effectiveness, and I just take the easiest and most complete. I use a power drill to punch a couple of small holes all the way through the unit, locating them so the go through the metal platters inside. The only method of destruction more complete would be if you melted the thing down!

(If your drive was the problem, and you DO need the data, then you need to seek help with data restoration, which is it's own, long, topic.)

Old 09-15-2017, 10:32 PM

14 posts, read 10,192 times
Yes, all your data was on the hard drive. If you still have access to the hard drive, orif this ever happens again, you can do a government erase of data on the hard drive which will write over the data many times with 0000's and 1111's so that no traces of the data will be left on the drive.

Programs like CCLEANER and Drive Erase will do such tasks.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:18 AM

131 posts, read 221,123 times
The computer in question is a 15 yr old Dell I bought used for $75 and operated for about 4-5 yrs. I just sold the remaining non-working computer without hard drive and made $25 profit after shipping. So although I had a tech friend look at it briefly we couldn't figure out what's wrong but not too worried about it. Bought another good used one for 100 bux and it's better in every way and going strong for past 1-1/2 yr now. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-21-2017, 12:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Where did you sell that for $100?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers