Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 03:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
This isn't 2005. You don't really need to run registry cleaners or anything like that anymore.
The main feature on CCleaner is the removal of uneeded files, it does a far batter job than the built in Windows tools. If you don't want to believe me run Windows cleanup and then have CCleaner analyze your disk. It will list what it's going to remove. Don't be surprised if it finds 100's of MB's or even GB's of files to remove.

The registry cleaner is only one of many other additional tools packaged with it. Another tool people might find of interest is the disk wiping feature. Peregrine mentioned the duplicate files finder... There is lot of things CCleaner does many people are going to find very useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 03:40 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The main feature on CCleaner is the removal of uneeded files, it does a far batter job than the built in Windows tools. If you don't want to believe me run Windows cleanup and then have CCleaner analyze your disk. It will list what it's going to remove. Don't be surprised if it finds 100's of MB's or even GB's of files to remove.

The registry cleaner is only one of many other additional tools packaged with it. Another tool people might find of interest is the disk wiping feature. Peregrine mentioned the duplicate files finder... There is lot of things CCleaner does many people are going to find very useful.
Yep. When I uninstall a program there are usually files left behind, which are then removed by CCleaner's registry cleaner. These files can prevent you from re-installing the program at a later date, as I learned when sampling AV software.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Yep. When I uninstall a program there are usually files left behind, which are then removed by CCleaner's registry cleaner. These files can prevent you from re-installing the program at a later date, as I learned when sampling AV software.
They are not files, the registry is a database that could be considered the most crucial part of the Windows operating sytem. It stores various values for the hardware, software, user preferences etc. For example when you select a program to open a specific type of file your selection is stored in the registry.

The issue with using a tool like CClceaner is it could potentially delete or alter a value that is important and turn your computer into a brick at least as far as Windows goes. It's best just to leave it alone unless there is very specific issue you are trying to address.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
I wipe the drives every time I use Ccleaner.

Quote:

Quote:
They are not files, the registry is a database that could be considered the most crucial part of the Windows operating sytem. It stores various values for the hardware, software, user preferences etc. For example when you select a program to open a specific type of file your selection is stored in the registry.

The issue with using a tool like CClceaner is it could potentially delete or alter a value that is important and turn your computer into a brick at least as far as Windows goes. It's best just to leave the registry alone unless there is very specific issue you are trying to address.
Fixed for clarity.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Quote:

The issue with using a tool like CClceaner is it could potentially delete or alter a value that is important and turn your computer into a brick at least as far as Windows goes. It's best just to leave it alone unless there is very specific issue you are trying to address.
Normally, I have an aversion toward registry cleaners, but I finally tried CCleaner and it has been very safe for me. Of course, there is always a potential for harm with a reg cleaner, but there are hundreds of millions of CCleaner users, which suggests that this may be a reliable program.

Now, if you are unable to install a program because of an old setting in the registry, you can spend 20 or 30 minutes hunting that setting down, or just use CCleaner. That is a specific issue that concerns me, and CCleaner has saved the day every time.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:14 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Quote:
It's actually really difficult to brick a computer. Windows makes an automatic backup daily.
Quote:
Windows Registry Checker automatically scans the system registry for invalid entries and empty data blocks when it is started. If invalid registry entries are detected, Windows Registry Checker automatically restores a previous day's backup. This is equivalent to running the scanreg /autorun command from a command prompt. If no backups are available, Windows Registry Checker tries to make repairs to the registry. This is equivalent to running the scanreg /fix command from a command prompt. If the registry contains more than 500 KB of empty data blocks, Windows Registry Checker automatically optimizes it.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ol-scanreg-exe

Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 AM

Cisco has announced that if you downloaded version 5.33 you should restore from backup or reimage your computer. Deleting or updating is not enough.

It's my understanding that this only affects 32 bit systems. 64 bit systems were not affected.

https://gizmodo.com/the-ccleaner-att...new-1818616703

Quote:
Cisco now believes that this was the work a sophisticated actor. The researchers are urging anyone who downloaded the 5.33.6162 version of CCleaner or the 1.07.3191 version of CCleaner Cloud—available from August 15th to September 13th—to restore their systems from backups or reimage systems. Simply updating or deleting the software is not enough. The latest version, CCleaner 5.34, is said to be safe.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:05 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
I've been using the free version of CC Cleaner for several years. It seems to do a good job of periodically dumping unnecessary files. Lately, however, I'm getting a daily advertisement to upgrade to the paid version.

Since Windows Defender seems to do a good job of dealing with viruses and malware, I've been reluctant to change my 'security apple card' by upgrading to the paid CC Cleaner package (It's the old, "If is isn't broke, why fix it?" situation).

Is there any advantage (or downside) to upgrading the the paid version of CC Cleaner?

Old 09-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Good question. Here's their chart of what the differences are:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Unless you have need for the additional features I see no advantage other than removing the nags. Which I don't get.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:02 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Cisco has announced that if you downloaded version 5.33 you should restore from backup or reimage your computer. Deleting or updating is not enough.

It's my understanding that this only affects 32 bit systems. 64 bit systems were not affected.

https://gizmodo.com/the-ccleaner-att...new-1818616703
Additional info from ARS

CCleaner malware outbreak is much worse than it first appeared
https://arstechnica.com/information-...irst-appeared/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers