Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:04 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This happened in one version and only in the 32 bit version of that version. That version can no longer be downloaded and all other versions contain no malware.

Don't spread alarmist information about a now nonexistent problem.
Alarmist information? How about just information? I'm not with the thought police. It's up to the reader whether to be "alarmed" about it or not. Like: "the backdoor was open for over a month before being discovered...", "they're still reverse-engineering the malicious code ....", "they don't know who did it nor where it came from...".

There's enough useful information in the arstechnica link to make an informed decision as to whether to download a possibly useful for some, but un-necessary for others, product.

Talk about being an alarmist, - read the 4-5 paragraphs after the heading "More fileless hardware". There's still a lot they don't fully understand.

If you feel you need it, have that overwhelming urge to install ccleaner, then have a day. Knock yourself out.

It's only been a little over a week since the notification. The software version might be fine now, as per the official company announcement.

At this point, it's not even the ccleaner product that's the only suspect. It's the company security itself. I would take my lead from our own data security group and not trust CCleaner, nor anything from the company Piriform/Avast. I would wait a while. A month won't kill, much less, degrade our computers. They haven't even finished fully reverse-engineering and understanding the malicious code and its networking functions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 08:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
I have been using CCleaner on four computers over a 10+ year period with no issues... I will continue to use it.

A recent article (Sep 21, 2017) on the event:

Quote:
What to do about CCleaner malware
Personal users can download CCleaner 5.34 from Avast’s website if they haven’t already done so. Previous releases are also still available on the company’s website, but the infected version has been removed from the company’s servers. You’ll also want to perform an antivirus scan on your computer. If you’re affected, Cisco Talos recommends using a backup to restore your PC to a state prior to August 15, 2017, which is when the hacked version was released.
The impact on you at home: While personal users within the target area shouldn’t see any impact from this attempted attack, it’s still a scary notion. While Avast got in front of the issue and resolved it without incident
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3225...d-malware.html

Old 09-27-2017, 02:59 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,430 times
I use the free version of CCleaner and have done for years without any problems.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:00 PM

99,541 posts, read 4,490,935 times
I've also used CCleaner for about 10 years on three computers. Never been a problem.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
As mentioned above, Ccleaner makes some operations a bit easier, or more streamlined.
I use it to remove cookies that are not required (by me), but leaves cookies for certain websites I always visit (like mail and certain forums). Makes it faster to get on the website (no need to enter passwords etc).
This is on my desktop, where I am the only one using it. On my laptop, it removes all cookies.

To make the computer start faster, I use Ccleaner to control which programmes start.

All this may be possible to get done without Ccleaner, but as I said, Ccleaner does it for me ...

Old 10-03-2017, 12:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
One stop shop. Works like a champ.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:24 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
You can always try the FCleaner, very similar to CCleaner (also free).

I wanted to mention the following 2 standalone free alternatives:
CleanAfterMe
ATF-Cleaner
Attached Thumbnails
Can I Install CCleaner?-atf-cleaner.png   Can I Install CCleaner?-cleanafterme.png  

Old 10-08-2017, 05:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Found a link to an old Ccleaner post I made. Probably outdated somewhat, but still good information.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/20778157-post21.html

Old 10-08-2017, 07:15 PM

416 posts, read 408,783 times
Their situation really only serve to point out the fact that you cannot trust third-party installers. The reality is that these companies rely on content distribution networks that can be compromised. Trust no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers