U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:38 PM

1,637 posts, read 968,573 times

Advertisements

Just wanted someone's opinion about taking certificates and how helpful are they when it comes to getting a job or advancing your IT career

I have lots of IT work experience and a college IT Degree but i have never bother earning certifications for a couple reasons

- most of the time if I don't know how to resolve an IT issue i either google it or use my effective troubleshooting methods

- soft skills are more important than tech skills in my opinion

- certs are time consuming and expensive failing a test means you lose money and who knows how much of what you learn will really help you on your IT job/career. Probably my biggest issue with certs i don 't doubt theres a lot of interesting fundamentals you can learn but man they take a lot of your time and cost big money

- i read websites like Techcrunch, Spiceworks, Cnet to get an idea of new tech things that might be interesting

Anyways i dont mean to offend anyone here with IT certs

But was just curious?

What do you guys think about certifications?
Does it beat a bachelors degree and experience?

Have you been hired based on your cert?

Do you think they are worth it?

Do the stuff you learn on the certs are useful?

Have you been successful with or without them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 01:45 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
IMO, experience trumps certs / education.

As an owner / manager, the only thing a cert shows me is that you can do an exam cram, and pay for a cert.

That said, some places place a high value on certs, especially if a shop is a certified partner for a brand that requires certifications. I have a relative that works in IT for a university, and he stays on the certificate treadmill due to the political environment of the university.

They can also be handy for getting past HR folks that know nothing about tech in general, and look for certifications as qualification.

I'm self employed now, so it doesn't matter, but earlier in my career I decided that if it became a requirement, or seemed beneficial, then I'd get whatever certs were needed. It just never came up.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:44 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
Like other certifications, it helps establish your minimum skill / knowledge level to those who don't know you.
If this is something that would help your career or not, depends.

So if you stay with one firm, or work word-of-mouth and such, it probably doesn't help. You don't have to convince anyone of your abilities.

But if you regularly have to convince others that you can do the job, ie: during interviews, where they might not be capable of judging, the certifications may set you above the others. And like mentioned above, certifications might be tick-boxes the political / corporate world requires and rewards.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:06 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,287,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post

As an owner / manager, the only thing a cert shows me is that you can do an exam cram, and pay for a cert.

That said, some places place a high value on certs, especially if a shop is a certified partner for a brand that requires certifications. I have a relative that works in IT for a university, and he stays on the certificate treadmill due to the political environment of the university.

They can also be handy for getting past HR folks that know nothing about tech in general, and look for certifications as qualification.

I'm self employed now, so it doesn't matter, but earlier in my career I decided that if it became a requirement, or seemed beneficial, then I'd get whatever certs were needed. It just never came up.

yea have to agree!!

Only cert I ever needed was for MCP because a company client required it. Rest i just earned on the job, but wasnt required. Company was willing to pay for it, so why not take it. If i failed, so what.. still have a job and nothing lost out of my pocket. ( i have about 15 certs in many IT fields). But now it seems to be the normal to ask for A+ just to get a interview. Just once you get your foot in the door, get experiance and never have to worry about certs again. If they offer and paying for it, get educated and take it. Wont hurt..

Old 11-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,634,159 times
Certs will get you past an HR screen, if you don't have a degree in the field.

If they're required for the job openings you want, they're crucial.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:24 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:

Worked for a contracting firm for a few years and they wanted them. I never found that the "knowledge" I was supposed to acquire was anything I didn't already know. They paid for the tetsing so all I had to do was get through the grind.

I also ended up self employed and all my clients wanted to know was whether I could make things work.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:39 PM

1,637 posts, read 968,573 times
Quote:

True I agree with you

I got nothing against certs im pretty sure there's a lot to learn from them but they are expensive to keep renewing and very time consuming

When I started in IT i learn more by doing things troubleshooting problems and tackling on Issues I don't know how to resolve that's how I learn and how I kept getting better

I read one of Microsoft books but it would seem almost what I read most of it you would never deal on a daily basis perphaps windows updates getting stuck

Old 11-04-2017, 08:12 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,448,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
- certs are time consuming and expensive failing a test means you lose money and who knows how much of what you learn will really help you on your IT job/career. Probably my biggest issue with certs i don 't doubt theres a lot of interesting fundamentals you can learn but man they take a lot of your time and cost big money
Small price to pay.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:24 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
Another point-of-view (HR and supervisors please comment):
I had a friend who had decided to change careers to IT, (typical empty-nest'er who had just obtained a 2-year IT degree).

I told her that I suspected that the time/effort/expense to upgrade to a full 4-year degree would not be as effective at making her attractive to IT HRs as it would be (with her having a 2-yr degree) her obtaining the major certs that her sub-fields used most often.

A suggestion for all considering IT jobs:
Find a firm that has the 'dream job' you want to do. Best firm, job description doing just what you want to do, etc. Contact that firm's HR and ask them what credentials they require for this position. That gives you a credible list of goals.

I suspect that most HRs want a degree, but if you had 'just' a 2-year, PLUS resent certification(s) they specifically look for, they'll recognize that the certification programs are much more likely to be current and applicable to their needs.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,634,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I got nothing against certs im pretty sure there's a lot to learn from them but they are expensive to keep renewing and very time consuming
They're a credential that is accepted as the equivalent to a degree for some jobs. They're far less expensive and time consuming to acquire than a degree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or