U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:01 AM

9,071 posts, read 6,396,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Thanks!

Just disabled the update in msconfig.

I hope it also gets rid of the annoying ... "Your definitions need updating" popup!
I assume you're talking about Windows Defender? With automatic updates disabled, my definitions still get updated and I never see a popup. Don't think I ever have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 04:24 PM

1,603 posts, read 631,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I assume you're talking about Windows Defender? With automatic updates disabled, my definitions still get updated and I never see a popup. Don't think I ever have.
My Windows Update is still set to 'disabled' in settings (msconfig) but as I was cruising the web the same ole, same ole crappy notification popped up!?

I have included a screen-shot of the icon that places itself on the desktop whenever it happens!

The popup that accompanies the icon says:

Windows is preparing your update.
Restart your computer now or Remind me later?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
My Windows Update is still set to 'disabled' in settings (msconfig) but as I was cruising the web the same ole, same ole crappy notification popped up!?

I have included a screen-shot of the icon that places itself on the desktop whenever it happens!

The popup that accompanies the icon says:

Windows is preparing your update.
Restart your computer now or Remind me later?

I don't understand what you're doing with msconfig, unless it is just another way to get to the Windows Update service. But, on my computer, Windows Update does not even appear there in its list of services. Perhaps it would if I hadn't disabled it, I don't know.

Access the complete list of services either through "services" in Cortana or through Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what you're doing with msconfig, unless it is just another way to get to the Windows Update service. But, on my computer, Windows Update does not even appear there in its list of services. Perhaps it would if I hadn't disabled it, I don't know.

Access the complete list of services either through "services" in Cortana or through Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools.
Went and used services as you suggested.

Same outcome.

Update is still trying to force the update!

I keep using task manager to shut it down but it still keeps coming back!

Old 11-14-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Went and used services as you suggested.

Same outcome.

Update is still trying to force the update!

I keep using task manager to shut it down but it still keeps coming back!
Ok, so you went and used services. Then what? Exactly what did you do?

Windows update does not try to force updates when it is disabled.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Windows update does not try to force updates when it is disabled.
You're lucky!

Seems that I am not alone.
Quote:
I am facing issues with the Windows update services. I have done the following to stop the Windows update but it is getting turn-on by it self and starts downloading GB's of data which is really choking my network.

1.Disabled "Windows Update" Services
2.Stopped "Windows Update" Services
3.From option Setting>Update & Security>Advance Option>choose How Updates Are Delivered> I have turned-off so Windows can't download the updates from Internet.
Update turns itself back on ... Even after doing what is suggested when that happens ....
Quote:
I suggest you check the Recovery tab under Windows Update service properties. By default, when the service is failure, the recovery task is to restart the service. You may change this to Take no action and check the result.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com...=winserverwsus

Another frustrated person that has the same problem.
(No one could help him)
Quote:
I am incredibly frustrated! I changed the settings over a year ago to tell Microsoft NOT to update anything on my system. Yet my computer gives me warnings of an "critical" or "important" update that it FORCES me into automatically on restart anyway! It simply waits until I am shutting down my system and do a FORCED up date!! Or better yet it keeps asking till I am not around to stop the countdown.
I have found dozens of folks with the same problem but just like no one can figure out why my display gets messed up with the latest "creators" update ... no one can say How the updates keep coming back!

Old 11-15-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
You're lucky!

Seems that I am not alone.

Update turns itself back on ... Even after doing what is suggested when that happens ....

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...=winserverwsus

Another frustrated person that has the same problem.
(No one could help him)

I have found dozens of folks with the same problem but just like no one can figure out why my display gets messed up with the latest "creators" update ... no one can say How the updates keep coming back!
You did everything but answer my question. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
You did everything but answer my question. Good luck.
I've answered your question.

How many ways would you like it worded?

The Only question I may not have answered was: "What did you do?"
Quote:
I didn't answer because .. It made no sense!

What did you expect me to do?

I rebooted and went about my normal routine!

Turning off the auto update, regardless of where you do it Does Not Work!

I even edited the registry and Microsoft STILL tried to force the d@mn update the next time I cranked up the machine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers