U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:45 PM

40,481 posts, read 41,955,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The "finger mouse" you loathe so much is actually pretty great on newer laptops.
I'd agree with this, I hate the finger mouse or whatever the hell they call it. It's nice to have e.g. I don't have to drag my mouse with me when I take the laptop for some music somewhere but I really can't stand it if I need to use it any longer than 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,047,277 times
Quote:
The "finger mouse" you loathe so much is actually pretty great on newer laptops. You can zoom in and out with it. You can click with it. Double click. Swipe webpages back or forward. All kinds of cool things.
On the older laptop I have it does all of that. Randomly. Each time I touch it.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:08 AM

4,639 posts, read 8,230,022 times
Both have pros and cons. And it's based on need/wants. Albeit aside from cost (relative to similar performing desktops), you can mitigate most of the disadvantages of a laptop - as others have mentioned, you still have the option of connecting your desktop peripherals to a laptop (keyboard, mouse, monitors, etc.).

Carrying around a desktop isn't exactly a desirable option.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:38 AM

3,843 posts, read 6,001,532 times
I don't worry about desktop vs. laptop. I have both.

A desktop with dual monitors, 40 inch and 34 inch, and a couple of laptops.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:33 AM

11,874 posts, read 14,016,722 times
For the record it's called a Touchpad, guys. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
On the older laptop I have it does all of that. Randomly. Each time I touch it.
Yea, my wife was touchpad challenged, too. So I went into settings on our shared laptop under her profile and turned off all touch options. So now all the pad does is move the mouse. Doesn't accidentally click stuff anymore. She's much happier.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
For the record it's called a Touchpad, guys. lol

Yea, my wife was touchpad challenged, too. So I went into settings on our shared laptop under her profile and turned off all touch options. So now all the pad does is move the mouse. Doesn't accidentally click stuff anymore. She's much happier.
Thanks. I will try to find that option on mine

Old 11-08-2017, 11:17 PM

14,595 posts, read 16,606,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Don't really understand why many citydata-ers love the laptop so much. The small screen, the annoying finger mouse, you either have to lean over and hurt your back to use it, or sit it in your lap (medically dangerous).
Smaller than my 32" screens sure. But then I wouldn't want to carry around two 32" displays, a 50 pound tower, keyboard, mouse, and dozens of cords, would I? Takes about a minute to setup when I get to jobs with a laptop. I'd still be at home trying to pack up my desktop.

"Annoying finger mouse" works fine. For productivity stuff I don't even touch the mouse. There's only a few functions I can't accomplish faster using keyboard shortcuts. Works great for simple stuff like browsing the web, not so great for high precision stuff. Use a mouse.
I don't have to lean over and hurt my back to use a laptop. Time to see the optometrist. There's nothing medically dangerous about putting a laptop in your lap.

Quote:
Please make me understand the laptop craze besides being able to carry it around?
There is no point besides being able to carry it around. If I want to steam Netflix in the kitchen while cooking, it's much easier to take my laptop than haul my desktop in there. If I want to veg out on the couch watching TV and browsing the web, much easier to take the laptop than haul my desktop.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:50 AM

4,025 posts, read 2,654,850 times
I have both and prefer a desktop for long term daily use. I do prefer the laptop when I'm sitting on the couch and need to do something quick. I also have tablet for that use but sometimes the screen is too small and it's Android. Just can't do stuff as easily as on a laptop. I say if you are not going to be "porting" it around, get a desktop. Desktops are generally more powerful too.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:22 AM

4,545 posts, read 4,236,387 times
How about this.

Use a bluetooth mouse if the touchpad bothers you and if you need a bigger screen, just connect a external monitor, so now you have 2 screens if needed. My job even dumped all the dekstops and just connects laptops to docking stations hooked to external monitors.

A i5 or i7 laptop with 8GB + of RAM and a video card will perform very well. Desktops generally may last longer because it will not have an issue with heat as laptops will, but a part is a part and a motherboard, HDD, memory, etc can fail on either one.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
... Desktops generally may last longer because it will not have an issue with heat as laptops will, ...
How much of an issue is heat, with laptops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers