U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:27 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times

Advertisements

Heat is not an issue. That's a ridiculous statement.
Any modern laptop made in the last 5-8 years is sufficiently designed to not destroy itself by its own heat.
Even if you TAPED the vents closed, the laptop would shut itself off before it damaged itself.
They are designed to protect themselves.

Cracks me up when I see people buying "USB COOLING PADS". My god, people will buy anything. I wish I would have thought of that. Then again, I'd probably feel bad ripping people off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 10:26 AM

2,989 posts, read 1,036,032 times
Quote:
"USB COOLING PADS"
Gee, I have always thought USB was pretty cool, all by itself.
(Sorry, couldn't help it )

Quote:
Any modern laptop made in the last 5-8 years is sufficiently designed to not destroy itself by its own heat.
Even if you TAPED the vents closed, the laptop would shut itself off before it damaged itself.
That at least, is good to know.

{
//Actually I knew they would shut themselves down before any
//immediate damage, but wondered if long term heat is important.
//Probably isn't worth worrying about, though.
}
LoL!

Old 11-10-2017, 10:41 AM

3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Cracks me up when I see people buying "USB COOLING PADS". My god, people will buy anything. I wish I would have thought of that. Then again, I'd probably feel bad ripping people off.
It's not that simple. Heat is the enemy of electronics. The system will shut down only when the CPU overheats. In the mean time, before that happens other components may suffer damage and over time will shorten the lifespan of the system. This is especially true for hard drives. The vents on a laptop can become clogged with dust so it's important keep them clean to have proper ventilation. Ambient temperature also matters. Try using your laptop in 100 degree heat for a while to see what I mean. All that being said, the cooler your laptop runs, the longer it will last generally speaking of course. This applies to all computers, not just laptops.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:44 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
In fact, it IS that sample. I'm not just blowing smoke, bro. I'm old. I've been in IT for years. I'm a gamer. I have seen it all. I think you know me well enough by now gguerra. I know my stuff.

It's flat out a myth that dust can buildup enough to add a scary amount of heat to the point where it could damage a system. I have seen systems running perfectly with enough dust and hair and dirt to make small pets. Fact: dust and hair make absolutely lousy insulators. Is it good to blow out the dust? No question. But dust is hardly (if) ever THE factor in why a PC melted down.

People use computers and phones and all manner of electronics in Phoenix, Miami, and much MUCH hotter places. OF COURSE heat is bad for electronics. EXTREME heat. My video card threshold is 94 degrees. That's uh... CELSIUS. That's 201F. High for a processor is in that same range. Computers LIKE cooler temps... this is why we keep servers in cold rooms...but it takes an ENORMOUS amount of heat to kill a computer.

Companies design laptops to dissipate heat. So any name brand laptop will do that efficiently. But how many laptops have you seen that are 10 years old and still working? I've seen SO many. SO SO SO many...

Hard drives die because they hit their MTBF time (Mean Time Between Failure). Or from flat out shock. Or power surges.
Not from heat.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:15 PM

2,989 posts, read 1,036,032 times
Quote:
... I'm old. I've been in IT for years. ...

It's flat out a myth that dust can buildup enough to add a scary amount of heat to the point where it could damage a system. ...
I think some of the difference in experience is due to location. I was an electronic equipment maintainer, and in Arabia, we had issues with dust that were nightmares. True, 90% of the time the equipment just faulted out and refused to run until we blew the dust out (and yes, we had filters), but not always. Here in central Texas one of the computer repair shops has a customer that brings in a computer (a tower) about every 18 months because the dust and dog hair won't allow it to cool any more. He posted a picture of it on a private forum (it was bad), then spent 10 minutes with an air hose dust mask and goggles. But I realize those are exceptions.

On a different level. I maintained equipment at an air traffic control station where all of the equipment was designed to run, even if the A/C went out, but I know from experience that when the A/C went out, failure rate went up. Noticeably at first (anything that would have failed, anyway, in the next few months) and then tapering to a rate "slightly higher than normal" rate.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:18 AM

6,866 posts, read 8,451,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The consume much less power.
Some can be used in bed, resting on your stomach. (You adjust the height by eating more or less)
They work when the power goes out, not just for the five minutes a UPS gives you, but for hours.
I plug the HDMI port on mine onto my projector. Some of the European concert videos on youtube are great when seen on a big screen with proper sound.
If I'm going to work on one, I put it on the dining table. I dislike the keyboards, so most work gets done on a full size computer.

I think I have about five laptops of various ages around, some networked, some not.
So very funny! Every year mine gets adjusted.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:22 AM

3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
In fact, it IS that sample. I'm not just blowing smoke, bro. I'm old. I've been in IT for years. I'm a gamer. I have seen it all. I think you know me well enough by now gguerra. I know my stuff.
I'm old and know my stuff too. So who cares? I don't need to get into a pissing match over this. If you don't care about your equipment and the data on your hard drives then by all means let them run hot. If computers LIKE cooler temperatures like you state, then logic would tell me the opposite is true, that computers DISLIKE heat. I know from MY experience that when you run computers hot, things tend to break down more. Didn't say they WOULD break down, I implied that they MAY breakdown. Why tempt fate and push the envelope. If you value your stuff and know it will last longer by running it cool then why would you do anything else? My choice would be to keep it cool.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:32 AM

14,512 posts, read 16,536,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I'm old and know my stuff too. So who cares? I don't need to get into a pissing match over this. If you don't care about your equipment and the data on your hard drives then by all means let them run hot. If computers LIKE cooler temperatures like you state, then logic would tell me the opposite is true, that computers DISLIKE heat. I know from MY experience that when you run computers hot, things tend to break down more. Didn't say they WOULD break down, I implied that they MAY breakdown. Why tempt fate and push the envelope. If you value your stuff and know it will last longer by running it cool then why would you do anything else? My choice would be to keep it cool.
A USB cooling pad won't keep anything cool.

Fair enough point in buying appropriate hardware for your use. In stress testing my Surface Book will hit 90 C in room temperature. In a 100 F room, it would definitely be throttling, probably is at 90 C but it's not too noticeable. The i7s run even hotter, which is why I didn't get one. They're only good for short bursts and then end up being slower than the i5 models. Even then it's not really that big a problem. It's more an annoyance that it's throttling. It's not like you're cranking out 100% CPU loads for hours on end in Photoshop. That's more an issue for people doing rendering in which case you wouldn't want a dualcore ultrabook as serious rendering bench anyway as it would take forever to get anything done.

Also why I'd definitely wait on buying the new Surface Book 2. With the quadcore and 1060 it's pretty decent hardware but what's the cooling going to be like? The new Surface Pro are likewise only good for short bursts. They're just not designed for prolonged high utilization. Nothing unique there. Same deal with the Asus Zenbook Pro line. Good for bursts and quickly throttles. Since I'd predmoninatly be looking at it for gaming rather than photoshop, I have my doubts the Surface Book 2 will have adequate cooling for that.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-12-2017 at 02:58 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 03:20 AM

980 posts, read 595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A laptop can do anything a PC can do...
Sure. A laptop IS a PC.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:18 AM

360 posts, read 258,767 times
Laptops are cordless, a great invention ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers