Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 03:41 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times

Advertisements

I first noticed this issue sometime last week (before my last Win 10 update). My one year old laptop will restart for no apparent reason with no error message. It's happened twice today. I have run Windows Defender with no problems found.

My research indicates it's most likely either an overheating problem or a USB problem. I frequently run the laptop with an almost new USB 3.0 Samsung 32GB bar drive plugged in.

If it's overheating, I'm supposed to clean out the vents with compressed air. There is one vent on the side, and more vents on the bottom. I usually use it on a little wooden TV table or regular desk. How hot is too hot?

I am also wondering if I should be investing in a ventilated stand such as https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...+lap+top+stand

Compressed air is easy enough to pick up for cleaning the vents, but does anybody know how to tell if it's a problem with my USB drive? I don't have any issues using the programs on the drive while the computer is running.

Gracias in advance for your advice.

P.S. I think, but am not 100% positive, that this is only happening when it is not plugged in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers