Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,700 posts, read 2,530,764 times

Advertisements

Anyone having problems with the latest update? I downloaded it on Saturday. Since then, my computer has shut down twice with no warning: It goes to a black screen, then takes me to the login screen. I can't find any reports of this specific issue on my Acer laptop. Could it be a driver or hardware conflict? Other hardware failing coincidentally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 01:17 AM

1,743 posts, read 991,798 times
Sneaky B@$-turds updated my pc for the sixth time this evening with their "creators update!"

On windows 10 'home' you have no way to stop the update and they sneak it in while claiming they are updating Windows Defender's virus data base!

Now, for the sixth time I've rolled back the pos update and will continue to do so for as long as I draw breath!!

(Yes, I've tried all of the tricks like the Microsoft wushowhide updater and Windows MiniTool wumt_x64 but they always fail.
(Or at least they have for the sixth time in my case!)

It would appear that folks that have pc's with AMD innards are having the most problems.

My problem is with my onboard chipset/graphics!
(After the update, my display is nearly unusable)

It only happens with the latest "creators update"!

If you are lucky, you will find others with your exact problem and have figure out how to fix it!

I've run across no one that has the same problem I have.

Good Luck!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Could you tell me how to roll back the update? Thanks!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:54 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I, too, have an Acer laptop. For once this update seemed to go through without breaking anything or uninstalling my printer driver or bluetooth. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Could you tell me how to roll back the update? Thanks!
Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Go back to an earlier build.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 AM

^^Thanks!

Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Sneaky B@$-turds updated my pc for the sixth time this evening with their "creators update!"

On windows 10 'home' you have no way to stop the update and they sneak it in while claiming they are updating Windows Defender's virus data base!

Now, for the sixth time I've rolled back the pos update and will continue to do so for as long as I draw breath!!

(Yes, I've tried all of the tricks like the Microsoft wushowhide updater and Windows MiniTool wumt_x64 but they always fail.
(Or at least they have for the sixth time in my case!)

It would appear that folks that have pc's with AMD innards are having the most problems.

My problem is with my onboard chipset/graphics!
(After the update, my display is nearly unusable)

It only happens with the latest "creators update"!

If you are lucky, you will find others with your exact problem and have figure out how to fix it!

I've run across no one that has the same problem I have.

Good Luck!
In fact, you do.

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-win...te-windows-10/

You can also access services via the control panel in Administrative Tools, as an alternative to typing services.msc in the search box.

My automatic updates have been disabled for a long time. A year ago or so one of them took out my brand new Lenovo laptop - rendered it unbootable - and I'm not going to give them another chance to do it again.

Thanks for the warning about this latest menace.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
In fact, you do.

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-win...te-windows-10/

You can also access services via the control panel in Administrative Tools, as an alternative to typing services.msc in the search box.

My automatic updates have been disabled for a long time. A year ago or so one of them took out my brand new Lenovo laptop - rendered it unbootable - and I'm not going to give them another chance to do it again.

Thanks for the warning about this latest menace.
What version of Windows 10 do you have?

I don't remember but it seems like I've already tried the 'disable' route only to find that the next time I powered on my machine, Microsoft forced the update anyway.

I can't be sure because I have been fighting this mess for almost a year now and have used every tool and tried every registry trick that has been suggested as a solution.

I know that on Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise editions you can do some workarounds that the Home edition (my version) won't allow.
(That's because those editions. pro & enterprise are more likely to be used in businesses)

Thank You for your help and just to be sure, I will try the disable trick again!

Old 11-09-2017, 02:18 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
What version of Windows 10 do you have?

I don't remember but it seems like I've already tried the 'disable' route only to find that the next time I powered on my machine, Microsoft forced the update anyway.

I can't be sure because I have been fighting this mess for almost a year now and have used every tool and tried every registry trick that has been suggested as a solution.

I know that on Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise editions you can do some workarounds that the Home edition (my version) won't allow.
(That's because those editions. pro & enterprise are more likely to be used in businesses)

Thank You for your help and just to be sure, I will try the disable trick again!
I have Windows 10 home....and disabling updates works!

I've never gotten an update while in disabled mode - including the one giving you fits right now. I've turned it back on a time or two when I've felt the need for a certain update and was sure, based on lots of research, that it was safe. Then I disable it again immediately. Control of my PC is mine.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I have Windows 10 home....and disabling updates works!

I've never gotten an update while in disabled mode - including the one giving you fits right now. I've turned it back on a time or two when I've felt the need for a certain update and was sure, based on lots of research, that it was safe. Then I disable it again immediately. Control of my PC is mine.
Thanks!

Just disabled the update in msconfig.

I hope it also gets rid of the annoying ... "Your definitions need updating" popup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers