U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2017, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,132 posts, read 64,357,877 times
Reputation: 31904

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The only thing worse than 98 was Windows ME.
Apparently you do not remember 3.1; or good old DOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2017, 02:53 PM
 
Location: NC
6,866 posts, read 8,451,474 times
Reputation: 14435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
Windows 10 for me seems a wall with graffiti.
Thanks for your suggestion.
That is the best description I have heard yet. The OS might be way improved but the visuals are SO tacky and cheap. Not at all designed for the serious minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 03:31 PM
KCZ
 
1,947 posts, read 1,096,093 times
Reputation: 5385
You can configure the desktop to resemble Win98, more or less, and just ignore the tiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 04:54 PM
 
7,249 posts, read 5,705,958 times
Reputation: 7963
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That is the best description I have heard yet. The OS might be way improved but the visuals are SO tacky and cheap. Not at all designed for the serious minded.
I really don't understand how my simple black taskbar and flat gray title bar look tacky, cheap, like graffiti, or "not at all designed for the serious minded."

Could you explain?

Maybe it's the clean list of programs in the start menu? Tiles are still around if people want them, although I personally don't have any. I guess I'm "not serious" since I just right clicked and removed them instead of gnashing my teeth and whining about how Windows 10 is awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Reputation: 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That is the best description I have heard yet. The OS might be way improved but the visuals are SO tacky and cheap. Not at all designed for the serious minded.
If you're going to get an old OS, get XP or Win 7. Both are way better than 98 ever was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 AM
 
Location: NC
6,866 posts, read 8,451,474 times
Reputation: 14435
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I really don't understand how my simple black taskbar and flat gray title bar look tacky, cheap, like graffiti, or "not at all designed for the serious minded."

Could you explain?

Maybe it's the clean list of programs in the start menu? Tiles are still around if people want them, although I personally don't have any. I guess I'm "not serious" since I just right clicked and removed them instead of gnashing my teeth and whining about how Windows 10 is awful.
Why should you buy a brand new car with graffiti all over it? Sure you can get rid of the nuisances but why should you need to. It would be better if there were an option for a clean car, or at least once you bought the tacky version for you to run a little program with a single click that would do for you exactly what you did. Not everyone wants to spend the time of effort on this, especially if they are unsure about each removal and whether they will need something or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
34,300 posts, read 59,623,818 times
Reputation: 33341
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Why should you buy a brand new car with graffiti all over it? Sure you can get rid of the nuisances but why should you need to. It would be better if there were an option for a clean car, or at least once you bought the tacky version for you to run a little program with a single click that would do for you exactly what you did. Not everyone wants to spend the time of effort on this, especially if they are unsure about each removal and whether they will need something or not.
But, would you buy a new car with no doors to lock and no windows (pun!), but leave your valuables in it so anyone can take them at will?

Windows 98 is quite comparable.
Unsupported and completely porous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 08:08 AM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
1,075 posts, read 1,088,306 times
Reputation: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
You can configure the desktop to resemble Win98, more or less, and just ignore the tiles.
Yes, this ^^^
You couldn't tell my desktop is Windows 10 v earlier versions. Maybe I'm missing something by not using the tiles (I've only used the one for Netflix and have to say - much better than the Netflix site from Chrome), but ... I can do everything I want from the desktop, so I'm happy. Also, the system's very stable; no blue-screen-of-death experiences, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8055
Win98 SE was easily MS's best OS ever. The entire OS install was under 400MB. Insane. This would be unusable today.

2nd best ever was 7.

Quote:
Why should you buy a brand new car with graffiti all over it?
wtf.
I assume you are talking about the tiles? Look, MS tried something new. SOme people love it. Others don';t. It literally takes less then 5 minutes to remove every tile and go back to that 'clean' look if you don't like tiles. If they never changed the overall look they'd get slammed for being boring and not innovative. If they change the look people get upset because...it's different.
Can't win for losing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 09:13 AM
 
Location: NC
6,866 posts, read 8,451,474 times
Reputation: 14435
Peregrine, I understand. But it would be great to have a one click "erase all graffiti" button. My last laptop was full of advertising too that needed eliminating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top