U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:55 AM

9,058 posts, read 6,392,593 times

Advertisements

I have learned that Windows 10 in pure form is an altogether different animal from the bloated and obnoxious monstrosity that is shipped with many/most big-brand computers today. My many/most reference comes from my experience with 2 Lenovos and my current HP laptop....and is also based on reading lots of other related commentary. My educated guess is that they're pretty much all that way from the big-brand factories.

The hard drive in my HP died a few weeks ago and it turned out to be a blessing. Because I replaced the drive and installed Windows 10 without any of that other HP garbage that constantly bogged it down. My computer is unrecognizably faster, smoother, and better than it was. Even the update process - and I've left auto-update on so far - has been no problem at all. Fast and smooth, whereas it was a nightmare with the HP bloatware. And one of the major Windows 10 updates killed my second new Lenovo machine in late 2016 - rendered it unbootable. I look back now and wonder if the result might have been altogether different with a clean and unencumbered Windows 10 installation.

I think my custom build days are probably behind me now, as a modern laptop makes so much more sense from just about any angle. So if/when I buy a new machine down the road sometime, first thing I'll do is wipe the HD and install a clean and unencumbered version of the OS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:11 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I think my custom build days are probably behind me now, as a modern laptop makes so much more sense from just about any angle. So if/when I buy a new machine down the road sometime, first thing I'll do is wipe the HD and install a clean and unencumbered version of the OS.
That's what I did. Much better.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:15 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,187,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The only thing worse than 98 was Windows ME.
I second that, I had ME for 2 weeks before I gave up on it. fortunately ME was just 98 with extra folders and it was easy to convert it back to 98.A few years ago I found an old computer at a garage sale and it had ME on it so I couldnt resist and bought it, wow it was so buggy and bad it was completely unusable.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:08 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
While I think you'd be absolutely crazy to run 98 SE today, I don't get the hate for it back in the day. You know what it was? It was quick. And small. A full install took up less space then a CD Rom. I think it was one of MS's BEST OS'es.
Windows 10, 7, 98 SE and XP. In that order.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:39 PM

I agree with the w98 assessment made by Peregrine.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I agree with the w98 assessment made by Peregrine.
I loved it and ran it 'til about 2005, when I ran across a Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade CD for cheap on Craigslist. Real nice guy - ended up giving it to me.

My expectations weren't all that high, but I was blown away by how much faster Microsoft Flight Simulator ran on it. Like double the frame rate - on the same computer.

Do you think Peregrine would be as candid today if Dude111 were still here to say "I told you so"?

Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 PM

What's with Dude? I've not seen him.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
What's with Dude? I've not seen him.
All I know is that he's "not a member" since June last year.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:11 PM

5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
I like 98 too, I've still got machines that run it. I have games that I like and they don't run well on the newer OSes.

I don't run Win10 at all. latest is 7, and that's ony because it was on machines that I got for free that I revived.

Nowadays, I often just put some flavor of Linux on If I need to put an OS on something.

Quote:
A lot of long-time and well respected posters have been 'eliminated'. I think I've become a target too. I took a self-imposed vacation for about a year, but things don't seem any better...worse, actually. Trolls run rampant and you can't say anything without getting psanked. I'm thinking about taking another vacation.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
His stats show activity recently, just no posting. Hope he's not pissed because we pick on him on occasion. Sometimes teasing comes across more harsh than it''s meant.

Even more importantly, I hope his health is okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or