Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 AM

5,914 posts, read 6,397,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I liked my XP which I liked best,ME never gave me a problem,I still have my XP.
Had to go to Win 7 for compatibility with sites.After 4 years I do not understand it,I am basicly computer illiterate.
I noticed a file with 6 yards of logins or misc. sites which are garbage but do not know how to clean up?
I do not like control panel,XP was simple.
I have an old ISP login window which comes up but do not know how to remove.
FYI, if you are having difficulties getting used to Windows 7, go out and grab "Classic Shell". It can, virtually, change the "skins" of Windows 7 to the classic look you were used to with either XP or even 98 or 2000 pro. It is no longer being supported by the developer, but he did say that if you're on anything older than Windows 10, will continue to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 07:24 PM

7,048 posts, read 9,010,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsoto1988 View Post
Windows XP was the best. Its successor (Windows Vista) was a nightmare.
How so?

I'm running Vista on the laptop I'm using at the moment, no problems with the OS at all. I've been using it for many years, since the fellow gave it to me for helping him move.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:32 PM

4,011 posts, read 2,936,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsoto1988 View Post
Windows XP was the best. Its successor (Windows Vista) was a nightmare.
I prefer Windows XP x64 to Windows XP. Same interface, but more stable and faster boot time. Of course, you need x64 drivers, and 16 bit programs will not run. I do not believe I have ever encountered a freeze or a BSOD with Windows XP x64. On the other hand, Windows 7 at work would not kill a not responding program, even after repeated commands.

I did use Vista for a while. No true SCSI support, the Up One Directory icon was removed, and it constantly complained whenever I tried to do something to the system. To add insult to injury, it would allow programs to automatically start at boot, and then try to stop me from correcting that.

I have used Windows 7 at work, but although I own a copy, I have never installed it at home.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:03 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
How so?

I'm running Vista on the laptop I'm using at the moment, no problems with the OS at all. I've been using it for many years, since the fellow gave it to me for helping him move.
Vista was a bit of a rough transition thanks to things like the switch to WDDM.

That's a transition that needed to happen, but a lot of hardware either wasn't powerful enough or support wasn't ready enough.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:48 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,392,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
On the other hand, Windows 7 at work would not kill a not responding program, even after repeated commands.
IMO Windows 7 is quite stable. As far as killing a program, try killing the process. That rarely if ever fails. I assume you are doing this from the task manager.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:04 AM

16,451 posts, read 19,469,725 times
Vista was fine about a year after it was released after it was patched enough times.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:31 PM

5,914 posts, read 6,397,511 times
I remember having to work on HP Laptops at my last job that came shipped with Windows Vista. For some reason, Vista didn't like it when we encrypted those computers. Ran like a turtle. When we upgraded those laptops to Windows 7, they ran a lot smoother (with the encryption), but couldn't find a driver that controlled the brightness of the screen.

I've never ran Vista on a home computer.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:03 AM

16,451 posts, read 19,469,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oelyvier View Post
LOL. What in the actual hell is this even a question or a comparison?
You people need to get with the times..
Way to actually read the thread. Like two guys said 98 was good. LOL

Old 03-20-2018, 08:45 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,630,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Way to actually read the thread. Like two guys said 98 was good. LOL
Four, including yourself.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:32 PM

7,048 posts, read 9,010,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oelyvier View Post
...but hey I feel cool though. LOL.
Well, isn't that just ducky. You go ahead feeling 'cool'. But, so far, your posts aren't showing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers