U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 06:08 PM

282 posts, read 142,546 times

Advertisements

Please, save the politics for the politics thread. I'm having software problems and need help!

I have Kaspersky Total Security. Up until a week or so ago, everything was fine. I noticed within the past few days that it was updating the database. At 87%. And doesn't ever resolve, and doesn't ever give an error message. It's just stuck there, updating at 87%.

When I turn KTS off, and then turn it back on again, it stops trying to update. But then - that means it's not updating, which is a bad thing. So the next day I try again, click the update button, and - it eventually goes to 87%, and just gets stuck. The "Stop" button is greyed out, so I can't stop it through that screen. When I go to "settings" and try to force-stop it there, it shows that it's "Stopping" - at 87%, and it doesn't ever stop stopping. I could set it in the morning and when I get home from work 8 hours later, it's still at 87% OR "stopping" while stuck at 87%.

Calls to Kaspersky resulted in upgrading to the 2018 version of KTS, and the same 87% non-update. Then another call got me an e-mailed set of instructions that I can't follow because it requires this and that file, this and that configuration, winzip or "usual Microsoft means" with point upon point of instructions that I just can't comprehend.

Meanwhile, according to both Kaspersky and MS Windows Defender, I am running all my security via Kaspersky and it is all up to date and running just fine.

I need someone to please help me make sense out of this. I have 120 days left on this 1-year subscription, and then I'll go back to my free ZoneAlarm, where life was simple, and the most complicated thing I had to deal with was turning off monthly nag-screens asking me to upgrade to the paid version.

I also have CCcleaner and Malwarebytes, both of which require me to run manually because I'm stubborn and suspicious and hate when my system does stuff automatically. I have windows 10 (which updates automatically and I hate that too).

NEXT problem is this thing that I google searched and found out is something to do with desktop icon overlays. Most people say it's Dropbox, but like many others who don't say that, I don't have dropbox installed on my computer. So obviously it isn't that.

What I DO understand, is that MS Windows 10 only allows 15 of these overlays on the computer. And somehow or another, something is happening and I end up with either:
a grey "x" on the lower left of my icons, or
a green checkmark on the lower left of my icons or
some other thing I can't quite make out on the lower left of my icons
or nothing at all on the lower left, not even the shortcut arrow on my shortcuts (which is what it looks like now - my shortcuts do -not- have the arrow they're supposed to have, that tells me they're shortcuts).

It keeps switching back and forth...

I DO have OneDrive and I've turned it off, but it won't uninstall, and it still doesn't solve the problem.

Oh - interesting - a brand new one just showed up - a "down-arrow" on the lower left of my icons.

When I hit the "refresh" with a right-click on my monitor, it clears all this stuff and restores my shortcut arrows. But eventually they flash off, and other stuff comes.

Does anyone know WHY this is happening, and how to make it stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 12:24 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
One this web site I found this. Maybe...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ca09633?auth=1

Not the first page of posts. The previous pages contained no help of any use.

Quote:
Hello everyone after researching I did not find the answer, however, I found it on my own.
What you need to do is disconnect from your onedrive account, and connect again.
Obviously, something has gone bad with the synchronisation between your local files and microsoft's onedrive backup servers. After doing this the X's are once again gone.
You're welcome.
And this

Quote:
Windows lets other programs modify icons on the desktop for various purposes. Carbonite cloud backup, for example, puts colored dots to indicate which files need to be backed up and changes the dot color for files that have already been backed up. These little images appear over the main icon (like the arrow that appears to signify an icon is a shortcut to a file, rather than the file itself). The system only allows a certain number of overlays, so one problem is when you have too many programs trying to add their own overlays to the icons. Other times, for some reason, Windows just seems to get "confused". When that happens, it sticks the default overlay, which is a gray x image on top of the icons. It does no harm, but is ugly and annoying, and - if you have a cloud backup type program installed - the Xs may prevent that program from displaying it's overlays properly.
That's about all I know about it. Sometimes clicking on an empty spot on the desktop and pressing F5 (refresh) will clear it up, sometimes not, and sometimes if it does, the fix is only temporary. Sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling your cloud file program (OneDrive, DropBox, Carbonite, etc) will fix it. In my case awhile ago, I think DropBox had an update that I didn't install. When I let it update, the Xs were gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or