U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 04:38 PM

9,058 posts, read 6,392,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
I don't use anything from Microsoft Office, so ALL updates to any of that stuff is wasted. I have an old monitor and no virtual reality stuff, and I'm not into video games at all.

MS forced this update on me a few weeks ago and I've been having trouble ever since. Plus, it took over 2 hours of continual automatic (forced) reboots, during which time I wasn't able to use my computer at all.

Now, I have lots of features I have no use for, and a brand new computer that has desktop icon overlay problems, a non-existent scan error for my wifi printer (it DOES scan to computer just fine, but I keep getting a notification that it is disabled), and my security suite keeps trying to do a database update that gets stuck at 87%, and slows down my whole computer until I turn the suite OFF - and then turn it back on again.
Exactly.

And yet, there will soon be a dozen others who will chime in here insisting that you risk ending up a quadriplegic if you make any attempt to take back control of your computer.

Microsoft is, by far, the largest distributor of malware on the planet. But I put an end to their nonsense a year ago after they took out my brand new Lenovo laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 06:35 PM

282 posts, read 142,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Exactly.

And yet, there will soon be a dozen others who will chime in here insisting that you risk ending up a quadriplegic if you make any attempt to take back control of your computer.

Microsoft is, by far, the largest distributor of malware on the planet. But I put an end to their nonsense a year ago after they took out my brand new Lenovo laptop.
Since I have this enormous hard drive (1 TB, that's huge for me!), I'm thinking I might toss Unix or Linux in and learn how to use it. So when I buy my -next- computer, I can get one without an OS and make it a dedicated Unix/Linux machine.

Unfortunately I don't have the patience to make the switch on my current box. I'm still trying to learn Win10. I put it off as long as I could but my old computer finally started coughing up blood, and it was time for a new machine. Win7 won't be supported much longer so I knew that wasn't going to be an option.

If I had my druthers I'd still be using Win95

Old 11-17-2017, 07:00 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,705,958 times
I've been running Linus since the late 1990s. By all means, everyone who complains endlessly should jump ship to Linux.

Then they can really experience what bugs, glitches, missing hardware support, and awful half-baked UIs, along with updates that leave things so broken that you're stuck at a command line.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I've been running Linus since the late 1990s. By all means, everyone who complains endlessly should jump ship to Linux.

Then they can really experience what bugs, glitches, missing hardware support, and awful half-baked UIs, along with updates that leave things so broken that you're stuck at a command line.
Thing is, I grew up on DOS. With command-line level of computing, you can actually see the errors. You can see exactly where in your computer something is happening. Now that DOS is long gone from the Windows platform, everything is hidden. And it's proprietary, so you have no access to it.

I can't just jump on a dosedit and reconfigure the startup routine. Even the registry is this sick, endless maze. I used to be able to just go into regedit and move stuff around, delete, add lines, whatever - to make something work or "stop" working, as needed. Can't do that anymore, every HKEY line is dependent on every other HKEY line, if you change one without changing six others, you end up with four programs that don't work, with no way of knowing what's missing or what needs to be changed.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Since I have this enormous hard drive (1 TB, that's huge for me!), I'm thinking I might toss Unix or Linux in and learn how to use it. So when I buy my -next- computer, I can get one without an OS and make it a dedicated Unix/Linux machine.

Unfortunately I don't have the patience to make the switch on my current box. I'm still trying to learn Win10. I put it off as long as I could but my old computer finally started coughing up blood, and it was time for a new machine. Win7 won't be supported much longer so I knew that wasn't going to be an option.

If I had my druthers I'd still be using Win95
I don't like Windows 10, but I can live with it as long as the automatic updates are disabled. And mine are.

I know very little about Unix/Linux except that it has been bandied about in threads like these for as long as I can remember. Unless it can run (and I doubt it can) the standard array of Windows software that most people have used and depended on for years, it is not a realistic option for them.

The most practical - and simplest - solution to the Windows 10 update problem is to just turn them off.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I don't like Windows 10, but I can live with it as long as the automatic updates are disabled. And mine are.

I know very little about Unix/Linux except that it has been bandied about in threads like these for as long as I can remember. Unless it can run (and I doubt it can) the standard array of Windows software that most people have used and depended on for years, it is not a realistic option for them.

The most practical - and simplest - solution to the Windows 10 update problem is to just turn them off.
You can't turn Windows 10 updates off. You can delay their installation but you can't just turn them off completely.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 AM

2,827 posts, read 1,491,727 times
Quote:
You can't turn Windows 10 updates off. You can delay their installation but you can't just turn them off completely.
This seems to be true. Even if I wanted to, which I don't because some of them are security patches, they only allow you to ignore them for a certain amount of time, then they go on and update anyway when you're not looking. At least that's my experience.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, you can. I guess you didn't see my post #4.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:43 AM

2,827 posts, read 1,491,727 times
Quote:
Oh yes, you can. I guess you didn't see my post #4.
Yes, I had a look at that. Seems like if you weren't really trying to find out what updates were available, which means keeping tabs all the time, you would miss some really necessary updates, because that option turns things off completely, not giving you the option to look at each update and decide if you wanted it.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yes, I had a look at that. Seems like if you weren't really trying to find out what updates were available, which means keeping tabs all the time, you would miss some really necessary updates, because that option turns things off completely, not giving you the option to look at each update and decide if you wanted it.
None of the updates are really necessary for educated and disciplined, wise and careful, users. The only truly effective computer security lies between your ears.

The trials, tribulation, and risk, the pain and suffering, of allowing Microsoft to haunt your computer with hour upon hour of updates or threats thereto, added to the havoc that the updates often wreak upon your machine, far exceeds the remote and theoretical benefit that the wise user will never see or need.

This constant drumbeat of "security" fear from the software marketers is a FARCE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or