U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:15 PM

2,827 posts, read 1,491,727 times

Advertisements

Yes, but that assumes Windows 10 was perfect and complete at its inception and initiation to the public, which I kind of doubt, knowing Microsoft. So maybe some of the updates are in fact things needed to make it the program it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 02:33 PM

9,058 posts, read 6,392,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yes, but that assumes Windows 10 was perfect and complete at its inception and initiation to the public, which I kind of doubt, knowing Microsoft. So maybe some of the updates are in fact things needed to make it the program it should be.
No, it doesn't. And, if the updates were improvements, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The "updates" have a track record of breaking more than they could ever hope to "fix". I bought a new laptop last fall and Microsoft killed it in less than a month with the first major update.

I've been online for many hours each and every day for 20 years. And for half that time, I've run "unsupported" Windows versions because they were far superior to their successors. Never once have I had a security issue with any of my machines - ever. Windows "updates" make no difference whatsoever to wise and careful users. No positive difference, that is.

Not singling you out here, as I've had this debate with so many others. I'm continually amazed by the way people keep talking themselves into continued grief. It's needless, but suit yourself.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:27 PM

34,300 posts, read 59,623,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Ransomware?"
How is that a problem?
Why do I need security from that there "Ransomware?"

Sheesh....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Are you serious?

No. Not at all. The "...that there..." is intended as a note of light sarcasm.
My bad. I might could have added a "/sarcasm."

Note that I was the one who posted the link to the security features included, and mentioned that security is definitely part of the upgrade.

I like Windows 10. I like auto-upgrades, and I like improved security.
Heck, I like Edge...

Old 11-18-2017, 05:03 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,705,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No. Not at all. The "...that there..." is intended as a note of light sarcasm.
My bad. I might could have added a "/sarcasm."

Note that I was the one who posted the link to the security features included, and mentioned that security is definitely part of the upgrade.

I like Windows 10. I like auto-upgrades, and I like improved security.
Heck, I like Edge...
Ah okay! Sometimes it's hard to tell on here, since so many people advocate not keeping up to date and mock the notion that one should even bother with security patches.

Edge is indeed pretty good. If it had a few more extensions I'd use it full time.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:23 PM

282 posts, read 142,546 times
The update included a force of Cortana. A google search doesn't give me any reliable information. I don't like Cortana at all. I don't have a microphone, my headset is reserved for specific things I want to hear (like music videos on YouTube), and my one and only speaker (a bluetooth mini) is for when I want to watch Survivor or rent a movie.

When I'm looking to use my computer search, it's to look IN MY COMPUTER. If I want to search the web, I use Google. I don't want Cortana force-feeding me Bing.

I like Edge - and I'm having more and more problems with Google lately - but I am pretty sure that's because of this new update. It just seems pretty creepy to me, all of a sudden any program I have, that isn't Microsoft, that MS has a program that can do the same thing, is acting "off" in some way or another.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Well, they certainly have their propaganda folks out in force. Every few days I get a popup that tells me how much better and faster Edge is than Chrome.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM

Well, to add to this thread - I got tired of all the reminders and finally did upload the Fall Creators Update. Then it took so long that I got disgusted and skipped all the "here's what is new in your new update."

So now I have to ask if anyone has uploaded it, and what the new little envelope down in the task bar means. Does that mean that I can add my gmail account to it and access it directly from the task bar (and I guess that also means I wouldn't then be going through Chrome to get mail anymore; I'd be going through Edge, correct?).

Old 11-23-2017, 12:29 PM

25,323 posts, read 11,239,460 times
I'm no computer expert, but I do okay. I have a different theory about what's "wrong" with Windows, and it's not really Windows.

We have dozens of companies manufacturing computers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._manufacturers

And then we have dozens more companies making some part or another that those computer manufacturing companies buy an incorporate into the computers they're manufacturing.

Some of the computers manufactured are cheap little junk, some are truly huge and complex. Many others are somewhere in the middle.

And yet we expect one product to work seamlessly on literally hundreds of different machines and hundreds of different things we attach to those machines from almost countless manufacturers of both hardware and software.

Maybe we expect too much from Windows.

A few months ago I had one little problem with my dishwasher. There was no "universal" part that would replace the malfunctioning part. It had to be a part manufactured specifically for that company's machine and that particular model. First they send the wrong part. Then they sent another wrong part.

Nothing works as universally as Windows...and frankly, I'm surprised how well it does work.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:58 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,903,556 times
I stick with windows 7. It has all the stuff I use and isn't over cluttered with unwanted 'features'. It still updates security issues, but not all the fancy stuff its not set up to. And as my laptop is OLD, it works out well. I'll buy used and running Win 7 machines any day over a new one because it had what I USE on it.

Should any extras get installed, I know how to uninstall them.

My current laptop is a used Dell. Its performed very well, with the professional version of Win 7. I had Norton run a deep scan before doing anything personal, and they basically resored it to a 'new' configuration. Unlike the other used machines, this one works well and looks good too.

I'll be scanning Amazon for another used one like this as a backup when I can.

Sure, there's stuff mine don't do, but then if its stuff I'd never run, then that's good since its not wasting processor time waiting for it.

Last edited by nightbird47; 11-29-2017 at 03:15 PM..

Old 12-01-2017, 01:49 AM

1,603 posts, read 630,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
You can't turn Windows 10 updates off. You can delay their installation but you can't just turn them off completely.
I went through that with the same poster, over and over again.

He acted like I had no idea about what I was talking about!

I have 'rolled back' this computer Seven Times now after this d@mn Creators Update because it totally trashes my display!

I had already tried everything this poster wanted me to do plus a hundred other "work-a-rounds" and the guy Still insisted that you can turn off the automatic updates!
You can't!

Well ... you Can but it doesn't matter.

The next time you power on .. There is the Getting your computer ready for the update popup waiting!

The HOME version of Windows 10 is NOT ABLE to permanently reject the updates!

The only choice is the Rollback feature!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or