Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 09:22 AM

56 posts, read 201,462 times

Advertisements

I have windows 7 installed on my current laptop. I am thinking of upgrading to Windows 10 since there are vulnerabilities in Windows 7. I am trying to see whether my installed software will be impacted. I have VM ware installed on my current Windows 7 laptop. VM ware also has Win 7 running in them. I need to know whether this VM ware will still work if I upgrade to Windows 10.

Lastly, my current Windows 7 Operating System is installed on a SSD while my files and applications I don’t use on a daily basis are on a regular hard drive with in the laptop. Will upgrading to Win 10 impact how I have my OS on SSD and traditional HD set up?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 10:37 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
What version of VMWare, and are you going to upgrade the virtual machines?

My current build was Win7, runs SSD / HDD and the upgrade to Win10 didn't have any issues with that setup.

I'd also ensure that the drivers for your laptop are available in Windows 10.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:52 AM

56 posts, read 201,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
What version of VMWare, and are you going to upgrade the virtual machines?

My current build was Win7, runs SSD / HDD and the upgrade to Win10 didn't have any issues with that setup.

I'd also ensure that the drivers for your laptop are available in Windows 10.
I have VM ware 9 thats running Windows 7. It is my assumption that upgrading to Windows 10 will not upgrade VM ware OS and I am okay with that.

How do I check drivers for my laptop are available in Win 10? I have HP Elitebook 8760W.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:47 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLiKk View Post
I have VM ware 9 thats running Windows 7. It is my assumption that upgrading to Windows 10 will not upgrade VM ware OS and I am okay with that.

How do I check drivers for my laptop are available in Win 10? I have HP Elitebook 8760W.
I'd double check that VMware 9 is supported on Windows 10. I had been running VMware 10 on Windows 10 without any issues, but when the Win10 virtual machine OS updated to the latest version, I lost support for multiple monitors inside the VM, along with some other issues (as VMware 10 didn't officially support Win10 as the guest OS), and had to upgrade to VMware 14.

Updating the Host OS won't have any other effect on the Guest OS, so yes the Win7 guests will stay Win7.

As for drivers, I'd go to the HP website, and check for drivers for your model of computer (they should have a way to see all of the drivers available for that model).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers