U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM

34,313 posts, read 59,641,709 times

Advertisements

Last winter I built home machines for my wife and me.

Didn't put a video card in either, using the integrated graphics on the motherboard.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pro...D-Graphics-530

In the last couple of weeks, we both have had what looks like video failure. I put my machine to sleep at night, and it wakes up with a totally pixelated screen. Dual monitors. No attempt at an image, but reboots OK.
I downloaded and installed newest drivers from 10/20/2017, according to Intel's assistant.
And, this morning, pixelated screens with no coherent image upon wakening.
Wife shuts down and boots up every morning. Her machine has just failed to render a screen image at all when she boots up.

Windows 10 pro, Core I5 6500 on both.
Different motherboard manufacturers.
Corsair 650 power supplies.

I'm thinking it may be time to buy a couple of video cards. I built a third machine with a video card for the office, and no issues at all.
And I really don't want to go for a warranty replacement and jerk the MBs.

So...
Is it common for the onboard integrated Intel graphic to just fail after a while?
In 11 months? My machine is on for long hours, and runs very cool. Hers, shorter uptime, and also runs cool.
Or, what am I overlooking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 02:23 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
I have this issue on Windows 7 and 10. It's a glitch, either in the OS or in the driver or in the hardware itself. I suspect the OS. It's hard to tell. What I did was turn "Sleep" for the display completely off. As far as turning off sleep for the PC itself, you will have to test it. It's not the video, it's that it will not wake up the monitor correctly. So just leave it on and turn the display off yourself. My PC's are Dell and they're pretty new (2016 models). I couldn't find a solution, there may be one now. Have you tried searching to see if others have this problem.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:37 PM

5,814 posts, read 8,542,871 times
Those are some pretty good specs, plenty of power to add a graphics card - which would probably be pretty cheap considering what I'm guessing is your need. I've always had the best luck with DVI connections, are you connecting the monitors via VGA or HDMI? Are they the same make / model monitors for both machines? Is the 3rd computer you built the same age / make / model of monitor with no issue?

Old 11-21-2017, 02:57 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Sort of agree with GGuerraa. It could be a glitch but it's certainly not 'normal'.
and no on onboard video card should not die after 11 months. Getting a cheap $30 video card though is a good idea, generally speaking. Takes some of the load off the processor.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I have this issue on Windows 7 and 10. It's a glitch, either in the OS or in the driver or in the hardware itself. I suspect the OS. It's hard to tell. What I did was turn "Sleep" for the display completely off. As far as turning off sleep for the PC itself, you will have to test it. It's not the video, it's that it will not wake up the monitor correctly. So just leave it on and turn the display off yourself. My PC's are Dell and they're pretty new (2016 models). I couldn't find a solution, there may be one now. Have you tried searching to see if others have this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Sort of agree with GGuerraa. It could be a glitch but it's certainly not 'normal'.
and no on onboard video card should not die after 11 months. Getting a cheap $30 video card though is a good idea, generally speaking. Takes some of the load off the processor.
Well, I should have mentioned that it started after the fall W10 Creators update...

I'm fine with buying a video card or two.
Just the whole thing made me curious, with two misbehaving at about the same time.

I bet it is the OS.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:04 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
You can try this, I did but it did not help.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-a...p-after-sleep/

Old 11-22-2017, 02:17 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,287,974 times
majority of the IGU is they run off the cpu. The cpu can be good, but the IGU on it can go bad. Might want to check for dust mites on the fans and clean it out. Honeslty, never trust a IGU even if its brand new.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Those are some pretty good specs, plenty of power to add a graphics card - which would probably be pretty cheap considering what I'm guessing is your need. I've always had the best luck with DVI connections, are you connecting the monitors via VGA or HDMI? Are they the same make / model monitors for both machines? Is the 3rd computer you built the same age / make / model of monitor with no issue?
Missed your post and questions, Mikey.
I posted the common specs in the OP, and after that, the configurations vary quite broadly.
All have a separate SSD for OS.
Different MBs, memory,

I have a mish-mash of monitors collected over time. DVI and VGA and HDMI. Various sizes and resolutions.

Wife uses one monitor routinely, but runs dual monitors when connecting her work laptop via docking station and a KVM switch.

I have dual monitors on my home machine. One Dell 22" on DVI. One Asus 25" on VGA.
Hers has booted properly after a single failure.

Mine never awakes from sleep properly now. Hard reboot each morning, when I see two screens with nothing except full of bright pixels.
Even after update to latest drivers for 530 graphics.

Office machine is 4 monitors, all Dell. 2 2009's and 2 old 25" monitors that throw off some heat .
I would have to look but they are on a variety of connections. Even some adapters. Works flawlessly.

At this point, I am going to take a Black Friday deal on a nice graphics card for my machine, and continue to watch hers for ongoing issues.
I don't really mind popping up to about $150 for a card for my machine, as I consciously went cheap when I built it with the idea of upgrading at some point.

Two I am looking at:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814126172

Cheaper:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...95&ignorebbr=1

Old 12-05-2017, 04:01 AM

Fixed mine.
Installed the Evga graphics card above.
$84.99, if the $20 rebate comes through.

Hers hasn't repeated the problem, so "monitoring" closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or