U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 02:27 PM

7 posts, read 5,863 times

Advertisements

I have a seagate external hard drive with the maximum of 7.27 tb of space and it's almost half full. What is the maximum I should fill it up so it won't affect the performance of the hard drive? I have another with over 4tb and I remember when I used all of the space and it was acting up to the point that I had to format the whole external hard drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 03:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Technically, you can certainly fill an external drive to capacity. The Windows Swap File is what handles all your files and that's usually on your internal C drive.
However a good rule of thumb is to kep 18-20% free for defragmentation purposes. So I'd recommend Stopping at 6 TB.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:56 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
An external (removable) drive is not normally used for any system purposes and should not have affect OS performance in any way. Defragmention is usually also not a factor with an external drive. It depends on how you use the drive. If you write to the drive and then delete a lot it may matter. I have several high capacity drives and I have filled them pretty close to full and I don't see any slowdown.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherRios View Post
I have a seagate external hard drive with the maximum of 7.27 tb of space and it's almost half full. What is the maximum I should fill it up so it won't affect the performance of the hard drive? I have another with over 4tb and I remember when I used all of the space and it was acting up to the point that I had to format the whole external hard drive.
It's funny you mention the 7.27tb. I also bought an "8tb" recently although it was a WD brand. You notice that I put the 8tb in quotes. They are not 8tb but 7.27tb drives. All hard drive manufacturers do this. They will sell you a drive with 8 trillion bytes but it is not the same as 8 tb. As some of us know that when speaking of storage capacities and computers, 1k does not equal 1000 but 1024.

So 8,000,000,000 divided by 1024 four times will give you the 7.27tb.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's funny you mention the 7.27tb. I also bought an "8tb" recently although it was a WD brand. You notice that I put the 8tb in quotes. They are not 8tb but 7.27tb drives. All hard drive manufacturers do this. They will sell you a drive with 8 trillion bytes but it is not the same as 8 tb. As some of us know that when speaking of storage capacities and computers, 1k does not equal 1000 but 1024.

So 8,000,000,000 divided by 1024 four times will give you the 7.27tb.
so what would you say should be the maximum I should fill it up? I am thinking about going to 5tb maximum just to make sure.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:14 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Quote:
so what would you say should be the maximum I should fill it up? I am thinking about going to 5tb maximum just to make sure.
You're wasting space. At least 6TB if not more, personally I'd probably go up to 7.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You're wasting space. At least 6TB if not more, personally I'd probably go up to 7.
on my last seagate I filled it all the way and it was acting up and I had to format it so I lost all of that information for nothing

Old 12-02-2017, 08:58 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Quote:
on my last seagate I filled it all the way and it was acting up and I had to format it so I lost all of that information for nothing
No, you lost your data because you didn't have a proper backup.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:08 AM

There are no guidelines to filling up an external drive up. I have some 1TB external drives and I fill them as much as possible. Why wouldn't I? If I paid for it, I am sure going to use it. It depends what you are using it for but most people use external drives for strictly storage, not as a working drive. If you store music, photos, movies etc and that's all you do you can fill it to capacity. Anything else you hear is a myth. On the other hand if you use it as working drive and open, edit and save files such as documents, graphics etc, you need a little extra working space. As I mentioned before, defragmentation is not usually an issue with externals.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:05 PM

14,518 posts, read 16,543,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
There are no guidelines to filling up an external drive up. I have some 1TB external drives and I fill them as much as possible. Why wouldn't I? If I paid for it, I am sure going to use it. It depends what you are using it for but most people use external drives for strictly storage, not as a working drive. If you store music, photos, movies etc and that's all you do you can fill it to capacity. Anything else you hear is a myth. On the other hand if you use it as working drive and open, edit and save files such as documents, graphics etc, you need a little extra working space. As I mentioned before, defragmentation is not usually an issue with externals.
This.

General recommendation is 10-15% on mechanical drives for defragmenting. If you are doing a lot of overwriting (installing and uninstalling applications, editing files, deleting and adding new files), leave 10-15%. For example, if you're using an external drive for photoshop or rendering video you'd want to leave the space to defragment. If it's storing your MP3 collection, movie library, and a bunch of photos it's not like it's going to get fragmented in the first place.

Filling it up will have no impact on data integrity. If the master file table (the index) gets corrupted, it gets corrupted. It's as likely to happen at 10% full as 99% full. If your drive started acting weird because of a corrupt MFT, the MFTMirr did what it was supposed to do and gave you an opportunity to either repair the MFT or backup your data in the event it could not be easily repaired. Instead you formatted it and wiped your data. Deleting your data is not losing it. Since apparently this 4TB drive works fine after reformatting, there's a high probability that was the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or