U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 AM

258 posts, read 269,216 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to post this on the Dell support forum for days, but every time I have tried, I get an error message saying there is a problem and to come back in a little while. Nice.

Anyway, I have verified that the hard drive is the one that came with the computer and that is listed on the specs for this when it was a new laptop - a 500GB Seagate 7200rpm. I don't see any options under the Bios having to do with the hard drive other than IDE/SATA/ATA/ACHI or something like that. Would have have anything to do with capacity being wrong?

Also, every time I ask anyone about this - their immediate response is to go into disk management and extend the partition. That, of course won't work - it was the first thing I tried and "extend" isn't even highlighted as an option to select on the drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 07:32 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I have been trying to post this on the Dell support forum for days, but every time I have tried, I get an error message saying there is a problem and to come back in a little while. Nice.

Anyway, I have verified that the hard drive is the one that came with the computer and that is listed on the specs for this when it was a new laptop - a 500GB Seagate 7200rpm. I don't see any options under the Bios having to do with the hard drive other than IDE/SATA/ATA/ACHI or something like that. Would have have anything to do with capacity being wrong?

Also, every time I ask anyone about this - their immediate response is to go into disk management and extend the partition. That, of course won't work - it was the first thing I tried and "extend" isn't even highlighted as an option to select on the drive.
What you have is a spin type (magnetic) 2.5" SATA Hard Drive. It is not SSD. If its size is indeed 500GB and the BIOS on your machine doesn't see the full capacity as 500GB, either your BIOS is screwed up or the HD itself. Since you are not sharing any screenshots or providing the info I asked for, I can't say much on what the issue might be.

At this point, if you do not want to take it to a shop, then your best bet is to find another working machine and attach this drive as a secondary (Slave) drive to it and use the disk manager utility on that machine to expand the partition, if at all possible.

If that is not an option and/or you want to do this on your own, then your best bet is to download the free SeaTools from Seagates' site and run them on your system to diagnose and possibly fix the issue.

Do consider the possibility that you may have to reformat the drive. Either way, before setting sail with anything, I do recommend you backup at least to irreplaceable data you have on your system, just in case.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:40 PM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
You can't extend it becsue 32GB is max partition size for FAT32, you need to format it has NTFS first. If there is anything important on the drive I would backup first.

Open a command prompt and:

Quote:
convert C: /fs:ntfs
This assumes it's labeled drive C. Once it's converted you should be able to extend for the entire 500GB.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:04 PM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Should of read more closely and I see it labeled as NTFS.

Use the sledgehammer approach. Backup everything first. Download the Win10 ISO here and burn to DVD or whatever. :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Go to the driver/software page for that computer on the manufactueres site , you will want to see what may be important. If it's laptop for example there may be specific drivers for things like power etc that windows will not install for you. There is very few things you may absolutely need, Windows can usually handle all of it.

Install windows from scratch using the file downloaded from Microsoft. It should activate itself.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 AM

258 posts, read 269,216 times
The only thing I have found that sounds like it *MIGHT* work is something called Seatools for DOS (I already have tried Seatools for Windows) which has an option for resetting the hard drive capacity size to native maximum. I don't suppose anyone knows anything about this? In addition to having had a straight week of DELL forums refuse to allow me to create or post anything on their forum - I created and tried to post this question to HDDGURU forums and that, too has not shown up for whatever reason. I swear the black helicopters are the next thing I'll see with this mystery conspiracy that nobody can explain and I seem prevented at all turns from getting answers.

But I tell you what, even if after all this - I am somehow finally able to get the 500GB back so that I can run windows 10 without having update/storage problems - I am so fed up with Windows hogging all of my resources - memory, cpu, etc....all the time that I still might switch to Linux. I have been using windows for decades and nothing else - but man - my computer is constantly being bogged-down and every time I check the task manager to see what the problem is - it is always some "background" Windows thing either violating my privacy, trying to keep track of what I a doing, etc....between the updates, the defender crap, the "Store" crap, the "windows telemetry" crap.....I could go on and on......it leaves nothing for what I am actually using the computer for.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:09 PM

5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
Quote:
But I tell you what, even if after all this - I am somehow finally able to get the 500GB back so that I can run windows 10 without having update/storage problems - I am so fed up with Windows hogging all of my resources - memory, cpu, etc....all the time that I still might switch to Linux. I have been using windows for decades and nothing else - but man - my computer is constantly being bogged-down and every time I check the task manager to see what the problem is - it is always some "background" Windows thing either violating my privacy, trying to keep track of what I a doing, etc....between the updates, the defender crap, the "Store" crap, the "windows telemetry" crap.....I could go on and on......it leaves nothing for what I am actually using the computer for.
You should start learning how to activate and deactivate those services and background tasks, it will improve your computer's function...even if you *do* eventually decide to move to Linux, because you will probably want to know how to do similar things with it. Though Linux has come a long way since the early days of command-line interface only and now has some very good graphical presentations, you will probably still need/want to configure things to your liking and the experience can only help. If you *don't* switch, then you will have learned how to make Windows do what *you* want it to do, instead of letting it do what MS thinks it should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or