U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 11:52 AM

258 posts, read 269,148 times

Advertisements

So I have been on the road for the past couple of weeks and had to deal with the constant annoyance of having Windows fail to update with this huge update every day because there hasn't been enough space and I didn't have my external hard drive with me. So this morning, I decided I would dedicate the whole morning to finally setting things up and getting it done. I had been getting the big window with the two storage needed check-box options and it had been saying I needed something like 1.3GB on C and 14GB on my external - so I had to delete a bunch of programs that I really use and need from the C drive to free up that space - all good to go - waited the 3 hours it took and then at the very end - got a message saying "fix issues" or something like that - got a new window and this time it said I needed 2GB *MORE* free on the C drive even though I had plenty of space on the external drive and had already gone through the hassle of removing those programs just so I could get this done. I have no more things to delete from the C drive - there is literally nothing there to take off. It is all being used by the system.

Is there any way to get this thing done so I don't have to keep dealing with it failing due to lack of space? Is there any way to turn this update OFF if I am constantly traveling and on different networks? And I am guessing the huge WUD cache folder on my external HD is pointless and a waste so I can delete it?

What a pain in the butt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 06:19 AM

40,183 posts, read 41,790,512 times
How big is the drive?

Have you run Windows Disk cleanup?

Right click the drive >> Disk Cleanup >> Click Cleanup System files

Put a check next to everything and let it do it's thing.

Another place to look is the Downloads folder, that is the default location you save files from internet.

If that does not give you enough space download CCleaner, running the default options should be safe for anyone and it will find a lot more stuff to delete that Disk Cleanup.

Beyond that are you using POP3 for your email? In this case the emails are downloaded to the machine and if you have people sending you a lot of pictures or whatever that will stack up pretty quick.

There is also this:

https://www.techsupportall.com/hiber...te-windows-10/

Old 12-01-2017, 03:33 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,842,581 times
Supplementing what coalman mentioned:

What is the capacity of your hard drive?
If it has multiple partitions on it, how big is each?

Windows updates/upgrades work over C partition so if you have a D partition with 100+ GB of free space, it won't matter because it won't be utilized during updates/upgrades.

Removing applications often do not free up that much space unless the installer for that app is like 1+ GB.
Besides most new computer games and large office suites, typically, only design/CAD types apps are really big. So removing a translation app that is taking 56 MB of space ain't gonna help much.

Here is what I could suggest. Use a free app like TreeSize to see what folders/apps are taking the most space and see if you can get rid of them by uninstalling/moving to an external drive or, worst case, deleting.

Secondly, using FCleaner, CCleaner or ATF-Cleaner, delete junk/temp files from various locations that most people wouldn't even know. Additionally, check to see how big is "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder. If it has GBs of data, then stop Windows Update service, delete the contents of that folder, then re-start Windows Update service.

Above programs should be able to remove all data in the following two locations where most of the junk/temp application data resides but I would recommend you check manually and delete if needed (make sure you do not have any program/background process running):
C:\Windows\Temp\
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp\

Third one would be your browser(s) cache, most current browser cache can accumulate into GBs of data after a matter of days:
Open your browser(s), press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL and check applicable boxes.

Additional tips to gain HD space, at least temporarily:
Disabled Hibernation, if used (hiberfil.sys).
Disable or limit Virtual Memory (pagefile.sys)
Disable Prefetching (swapfile.sys)

Old 12-04-2017, 09:15 AM

I have done everything. This morning, I went back and deleted the last few bits of anything I can - all files, all programs, anything extra, everything listed or mentioned. And still being told not enough room go to to storage and remove things for the download. So now my only question is - can I copy my entire existing operating system - windows 10 - to the external hard drive, reformat the hard drive in the computer then copy the OS back to that hard drive? Otherwise, it looks like I will have to reformat and switch to Linux. I just don't know what else to do. I got this laptop used and even though it is a 500GB drive, the previous owner formatted it using Fat32 leaving only 32GB - 99% of which is being used by the OS - that is why I am out of space. I have no backup windows disk and no way to get it back once its gone.

Suggestions?

Old 12-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I have done everything. This morning, I went back and deleted the last few bits of anything I can - all files, all programs, anything extra, everything listed or mentioned. And still being told not enough room go to to storage and remove things for the download. So now my only question is - can I copy my entire existing operating system - windows 10 - to the external hard drive, reformat the hard drive in the computer then copy the OS back to that hard drive? Otherwise, it looks like I will have to reformat and switch to Linux. I just don't know what else to do. I got this laptop used and even though it is a 500GB drive, the previous owner formatted it using Fat32 leaving only 32GB - 99% of which is being used by the OS - that is why I am out of space. I have no backup windows disk and no way to get it back once its gone.

Suggestions?
Convert it to NTFS then enlarge the partition by allocating the available space:
https://www.partitionwizard.com/conv...-windows7.html

Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 AM

I was thrilled to read about the possibility of converting the file system and getting the whole disk space back. A little background - when I bought this computer the guy told me he had formatted the disk using FAT32 and that there was only about 4GB left - so over the last year that I've been using it (it is a great computer aside from the dwindling disk space) - that has slowly dropped with each Windows 10 update - to where it is now - with too little room for the 1709 Fall 2017 creators update. I have been dealing with this every day - for the last 2 or 3 weeks gradually deleting everything - even the stuff that I use all the time - down to nothing and thought that would provide the space but the last attempt says (even though I had connected a huge 50GB external hard drive) that it still needed 8gb on the C drive which is out of the question (the update stopped at 1mb left on the disk and froze). So that brought me to my attempt this morning to convert - which up until now I was told was impossible without losing everything which meant losing Windows 10. So I turn on the computer and just to be sure - I look at the C drive properties and am puzzled to see it listed as NTFS. Yet, all the ways I have inspected the nature of the actual drive - other than actually opening up the computer and looking at it - it says it is a ---> st9500420asg which is supposed to be a Seagate Momentus 500GB drive. Both device manager and Dell say this. So I am confused and stuck. Just don't know what to do or try now.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Filesystem conversion is step #1 so when you use any kind of partition tool, you will be able to utilize/use the maximum usable disk space that the version of Window operating system + service pack installed is capable of. Windows XP should even be able to see and utilize a 500GB HD so, the culprit with your system is likely to be FAT32 partition which wasn't mean to be used on partitions larger than 32GB.

I was able to use FAT32 on drives larger than 32gb but again, it wasn't meant to be and things could easily get funky.

So, if you have converted your filesystem from FAT32 to NTFS, your drive should be able to utilize beyond the limitations of FAT32 filesystem but partition sizes do not auto adjust, hence the need to use a partition tool (there is a free one mentioned in that link) to expand the current partition size just as long as there is enough unused/unreserved drive space available on the SAME hard drive. This should not require reformatting, partition management software included with Windows 7 and up will be able to adjust partition size even for the boot partition which in Windows terminology means where the OS partition resides.

See if you can use Windows own partition utility (START > RUN > diskmgmt.msc) first to accomplish this task. If you are not able to, then you can try a 3rd party app (one mentioned in the article I linked).

Old 12-05-2017, 03:57 PM

18,530 posts, read 55,444,914 times
LOL! I've been dealing with that BS on my win 10 laptop I bought from Walmart a year ago. Like F___ I am going to remove my programs for more bloat, only to have it happen again in three months. Once or twice a day Windows grabs focus and bit*hes and moans and I click on the "stuff it up your ***" box to shut it up. I have a two year warranty on it, and when I get annoyed enough the thing is going back. NOT. MY. PROBLEM.

I'm about fed up with the whole thing anyway. The Windows Live browser has suddenly decided that if you switch to a different tab it has to reload the entire page when you return. You can imagine how fun that is on satellite with latency. Firefox now regularly goes to "not responding" and I have to dump it and reload to get it to work again. I'm not going to waste MY time fixing what wasn't broke but the &*&^% updates have broken.

I've known automatic updates were a bad idea for years. Literally my Win 10 computer has gone from being somewhat useful to a royal pita. Obviously with Win taking focus whenever it wants, NO program that is ongoing or based upon polling at certain times is safely functional. Fortunately for me, I had the good sense NOT to put anything valuable on that computer. I'll have less angst dumping it than I did dumping my old toaster.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:15 AM

Just to be clear - everything from the BIOS (which I just updated, hoping it would help, but like everything else I have tried - didn't) to any and all manufacturer's software, windows software, disk configuration/conversion software all says the disk is only 32GB even though it is 500GB.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:26 PM

Harry, I can't disagree. I tried 10 for a few weeks on my home computer with the mere intention of reserving a license for it, just in case but very passionately went back to Windows 7 after said so period. Windows 10 didn't/doesn't offer me anything more other than less control and more annoyance. At work, the version is a bit more tolerable but I am also not using it the same way. Still, most anyone else is still on Windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Just to be clear - everything from the BIOS (which I just updated, hoping it would help, but like everything else I have tried - didn't) to any and all manufacturer's software, windows software, disk configuration/conversion software all says the disk is only 32GB even though it is 500GB.
Wait a minute, if you go into BIOS and look at the drive related screen, what is the size of the drive shown as? If it is indeed 32 GB, then there are 3 possibilities:

a) HD related settings might be configured incorrectly so it is not seeing the drive accurately
b) BIOS doesn't support it (if you have the latest BIOS installed then not much you can do)
c) The drive is either really 32GB or it is faulty

Have you actually physically seen the drive? Could it have been a 500GB spin type HD but was replaced with a 32 GB SSD?

If your BIOS is seeing your drive total size as 32GB then Windows won't see any different. The problem resides/begins at the BIOS level and needs to be corrected there first.

If BIOS sees the correct size, then using a 3rd party app, you will be able to adjust the size.
Is it possible for you to take screenshots of the BIOS and Disk Management screens using your phone and attach to your post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or