U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 04:43 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,093,451 times

Advertisements

I have an HP Pavillion desktop with some 70watt, Blackweb speakers. How many more watts can I go up to with a stock computer? I mention Blackweb because that's what they have at Wallmart. They had some 150watt speakers, and I'm wonder if these will work, or can I go even higher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 04:47 PM

14,512 posts, read 16,536,277 times
As much as you want. They're externally powered.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:40 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,093,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
As much as you want. They're externally powered.

This is good to know. If I got the 150w speakers, would they be twice as loud? (Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not much of a computer person.)

Old 12-02-2017, 08:23 PM

14,512 posts, read 16,536,277 times
Yes, kind of.

Human ears don't work linearly though. Doubling the watts is roughly 3 more decibels which is double the loudness but you won't perceive it as twice as loud, maybe 25% louder assuming equal quality speakers that can handle the watts without being damaged or distorting. Most of the those extra watts will go toward the subwoofer generally rather than everything being doubled so you'll get more thump thump but not much more mids or highs.

It's not really relevant though, even among a given manufacturer. It's just the peak power at a specific frequency and generally for a single channel. A 2.1 system has three channels (2x speakers and 1x sub). Without knowing the per channel output over a reasonable frequency range, it's just a marketing gimmick that doesn't tell you anything. Distortion and signal to noise ratio are more important anyway. More loud is useless if it is achieved by having using a crappy amp with high THD (distortion) unless you just want a loud noise and don't care that it's so distorted at even a fraction of its maximum rated watts that you can't even tell what you're hearing.

Then you need to look at the speakers and what their sensitivity is which has just as much impact. A speaker with 88 dB sensitivity will require ten times as many watts to sound as loud as a speaker with 98 dB sensitivity. In other words if you replaced what are probably fairly low sensitivity speakers that came with what you have with some high quality, sensitive speakers you could make much more loudness. It might not sound good (amp probably has a lot of distortion) but it would make more loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers