U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 02:46 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,003,760 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone here will know; maybe not. The person at Charter/Spectrum did not know but made a guess.

Up until a year or two ago, I had a modem with a white cord, a gray cord and a black cord. I had a card identifying each. Then Charter gave us all new modems. Now I have a white cord (cable), and two black cords. The only difference I see with those black ones is one is very thin and one a more normal thickness. They are the power cord and the ethernet cord. Can anyone say which is which? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 03:53 PM

14,518 posts, read 16,543,509 times
As in the modem's power cord has an RJ45 (8P8C) connector the same as the Ethernet cable? That's pretty stupid. I guess the easiest way would be to see what's at the other end. The one that plugs into a wall socket is the power cord. The other one that plugs into your router is Ethernet.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:01 PM

245 posts, read 134,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Maybe someone here will know; maybe not. The person at Charter/Spectrum did not know but made a guess.

Up until a year or two ago, I had a modem with a white cord, a gray cord and a black cord. I had a card identifying each. Then Charter gave us all new modems. Now I have a white cord (cable), and two black cords. The only difference I see with those black ones is one is very thin and one a more normal thickness. They are the power cord and the ethernet cord. Can anyone say which is which? Thank you.
The thin one should be the power. If you look at it closely it will essentially look like two small wires bonded together like two strings of spaghetti.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:30 PM

5,416 posts, read 8,785,262 times
What Malloric said.

Look at the other ends, and what they connect to.

If for some reason that is a problem (cables disappear into wall, etc), then look at the modem ends, the one with 2 or 3 pins is power, the one with 8 pins is Ethernet.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:44 PM

1,213 posts, read 836,990 times
Power cable
Modem cords-power-adapter-12v-motorola-cable-modem
Ethernet cable
Modem cords-12-119-168-05.jpg

Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 AM

Thank you, Peta and all. That was a friend's guess but she was not sure. It seemed like "power" would be larger. As for finding where they plug in, yes that would be easiest but I'm sure you have all seen the jumble of wires under the table. Some day, someone is going to solve that problem. There is no reason wires should have to lie in a mass of - well, wires. Meanwhile, I do not play around with anything because, if I break something, I cannot fix it. That takes a genius.

So, I shall now put tags on each of these three wires and know next time the tech person asks me to unplug the ethernet cord.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
As in the modem's power cord has an RJ45 (8P8C) connector the same as the Ethernet cable? That's pretty stupid. I guess the easiest way would be to see what's at the other end. The one that plugs into a wall socket is the power cord. The other one that plugs into your router is Ethernet.
P S, Malloric. Router? Isn't that for Wi-Fi? Or do I have something I know nothing about? As for what is plugged into the wall (to clear up a point), all of my wires are plugged into a large battery surge protector that sits on the floor and that is plugged into the wall.

OK?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,489,851 times
Here's a few tips:

The power cable is tiny because pretty much everything to do with computers uses very little power.
Exceptions: Big monitors & speakers.
This is why a lot of the equipment that connects via the new "USB 3" cord, gets it's (small) power within that USB 3 cable and they don't have any power cable at all.

The data cable is transmitting almost no power at all, but it has multiple wires, with different layers of wrapping (shielding), so they may be thicker. (Or not, some cheap data cables are very thin and pliable and so not very durable).

Modem = the device that connects to the wall Cable TV outlet with one cable and splits out the TV signal and the Computer signal. Usually has one Ethernet plus as outlet.

Router = Takes an Ethernet cable from the Modem and splits the signal into multiple outlet Ethernet plugs, (most family Routers have 1 inlet, 4 outlet).

WiFi = Takes an Ethernet cable from the Router and has inside a radio transmitter. On it's outside, it has one or two or four antennas (that look like ink-pens on hinges). This lets you have WiFi capable devices connect to it within 10-30 feet.

The above come in all combinations.
Many people have an all-in-one, "Modem / Router / WiFi" device, where it's all together. It takes one cable from the wall Cable TV plug, has WiFi radio antenna, and also has Ethernet jacks for wired connections to other devices.
Others have a Modem, with a Ethernet cable to their Router / WiFi.

Note: Locating the Router where your other household devices are, say your desktop PC, your smart-TV, your printer, let you connect to them with the Ethernet cables from the router. This both cuts back on the amount of info sent on WiFi (so the remaining WiFi, say your smart phones, tablets, laptops in other rooms, can run faster). Also, wired connects are 100% totally secure. Unless someone gets close with some wire cutters, wired connection can't be hacked.

RE: the dread Wire Monsters: Here's a trick to help ID the wiring. Save up and use bread bag square-plastic tab-ties. You can mark on them with a colored sharpie and clip to the wires to help identify which goes were.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:36 PM

14,518 posts, read 16,543,509 times
The power cable could be thinner as POE (power over Ethernet) uses four of the eight pins for power, the other four for data. I mean, it's not really POE at that point as there's no Ethernet but they could leave the other four pins blank if all its doing is providing power which means smaller cable. It's a pointless and stupid design. I've never seen it. Every modem I've ever seen has an RJ45 for Ethernet and a barrel connector for power (Jonah's post). That's probably why Charter provided the card and had different colors on your last one. They knew it was a stupid design then and mitigated it with color coding. The other problem is how exactly people or powering these modems. In your case it's apparently drawing power from a UPS which isn't exactly standard equipment. For the average customer, they'd need to include a power adapter which plugged into a wall socket for the other end of the half empty RJ45 cable to plug into. It makes no sense.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:50 PM

Thanks to both of you. I have been out all day but, when I'm caught up, I want to copy these and put them in my file. Then pray I don't forget I have them. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers