U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 08:59 PM

4,592 posts, read 8,197,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc89030 View Post
Networks can consist of hubs, switches, routers and bridges. If you were setting up a network with 100 nodes and you wanted no more than 25 nodes per segment: what devices and connections would you use and why? How would you set up these 25 nodes per segments (e.g., where would you place the router, hubs or switches)?

Can someone please help me out with this. I have these questions for my discussion this week for class.
I think the point here is to demonstrate what each device does and why you would use them. There is (or was) a reason why you would use each of these devices and not the other. If you don't know, you need to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
(and you don't need repeaters)

Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,449,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
In the time you’d get a response you could have done the research yourself.

Try this -

https://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow...switch_hub.asp
"What is a Switch?
In networks the switch is the device that filters and forwards packets between LAN segments. "

If two computers are connected via switch and packets are forwarded between them, then is each computer a separate segment?

Old 12-06-2017, 08:52 AM

7,155 posts, read 3,907,949 times
Research what a LAN segment is...and then what a switch does.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 PM

14,518 posts, read 16,539,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
"What is a Switch?
In networks the switch is the device that filters and forwards packets between LAN segments. "

If two computers are connected via switch and packets are forwarded between them, then is each computer a separate segment?
Yes. But two computers connected through a repeater are also separate segments.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 PM

6 posts, read 3,482 times
I fully understood it after the fact I was just unsure of myself I am doing this online it is kind of hard not being able see it hands on. Everything I am learning is from a book. I am not trying to sound like a but this is the first time that I was unsure of myelf. But I got it from here. Thank you Malloric But i did decide to use the tree topology for my discussion The segements would be the star. I know the advantages and the disvantages of using this network. The advantages: has point to point wiring for the devices and is excellent for expansion if needed. The Disadvantage is if the back bone breaks then the entire network goes down. The switches would be managed swithces that are set at Half duplex. Switches are better than hubs since a switch can send the information that the specific device instead of making it was around the segement.
We just needed a basic understanding of how a network works.

But i am not sure if that would still be considered a segment but instead of 25 in a segment i would have 20 in each segment

Last edited by mc89030; 12-06-2017 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 12-06-2017, 10:52 PM

6 posts, read 3,482 times
this is what i was visualizing

Old 12-07-2017, 01:26 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,449,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc89030 View Post
this is what i was visualizing
The computers in the middle look like they are acting as routers.

Routers are typically used to connect slower/metered/costly WAN links.

The only time I'd use a hub is for budget diagnostics.

Be careful about talking about managed switches, you're setting yourself up for more "Whys" and "VLANs"

What is computerhope.com?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
A very simple solution would be to have four bus segments separated with three hubs.
Segment - Hub - Segment - Hub - Segment -Hub - Segment.
It's a very simple correct configuration. As long as the justification showed conceptual understanding, I'd still give full credit for it but it desperately needs an explanation that shows it as the configuration itself does not.
I'd agree that is the most basic answer to the question. It reminds me of the scene in a movie where Rodney Dangerfield goes back to schools and talks about practical versus theoretical.

Who's designing networks with hubs anymore? I already forgot the 3 hub specs for ethernet.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:17 AM

7,155 posts, read 3,907,949 times
Given how cheap switches are now I haven’t bought a hub in 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or