U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 12:52 PM

18 posts, read 4,269 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing as a mobile hotspot that can be powered by an electrical wall outlet, rather than by a battery? I use a desk-top computer with no need to go mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 05:19 PM

5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
Sure, no problem. They can use wall-warts or be powered off a USB port. On occasion, I have even used my cell phone, plugged in at home, as a 'hot spot', though my cell provider tends to frown on this.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:38 PM

14,512 posts, read 16,536,277 times
Yes.

Jetpack like devices usually are batter powered and charged with a USB cable same way a cell phone does. They probably come with the charger in the box. If not you probably have a bunch of the adapters from cell phones or other small electronic devices around the house.

I just use my cell phone like Zymer does, plan includes "unlimited" hotspot which means 10 GB at usable speeds. I mean, if I go a bit crazy on the Netflix if I'm in a hotel with no WiFi at least I can still use it for email but or if I absolutely have to but it's really slow. It's a nice backup for when my home Internet goes down, somewhere without WiFi or unstably slow WiFi, but depending on usage 10 GB goes fast.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,195,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattina View Post
Is there such a thing as a mobile hotspot that can be powered by an electrical wall outlet, rather than by a battery? I use a desk-top computer with no need to go mobile.
The main purpose for these devices is to be mobile. So they are all powered by battery. Essentially like laptops.

That said, batteries needs to be charged, which is typically done by plugging them to the wall via a USB cable. So you'd basically just leave your hotspot plugged into the wall at all times.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:32 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,516,174 times
They do sell home units, I use one of these while in the Philippines. LTE CPE B315 | 4G LTE Routers | HUAWEI Global
and it should also work with no issues in the U.S. or other countries on some carriers. Of course the user will have to make sure it is compatible LTE frequency wise with the cellphone company whose LTE sim they will be using in it. They can also be used with an outside antenna for better reception or the rabbit ear antennas, I have found that neither usually come with the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4oyEHZjed0

Old 12-06-2017, 09:10 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,516,174 times
Here is another one that might work for the op, they sell it at Walmart etc and online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0u9LZdnPFg

Old 12-06-2017, 12:49 PM

18 posts, read 4,269 times
Thanks for all the help. I would rather just use electricity than batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or