U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 02:47 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,016,210 times

Advertisements

Clone the drive when everything works fine or on a new computer. That should be understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 08:50 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
It is understood, but the way you told the op to do it is useless.

What good does it do to clone a drive, use it for 6 months (obviously hypothetical) all the while having it build up problems to the point you want to swap drives? All the changes you made over the last six months are lost when you swap.

Assume the first drive has reached the point of requiring a swap after the initial cloning process. When you do the swap you just lost any changes made over that time period. New programs, bookmarks, anything new is gone because it wasn't on the machine when the first clone was made. Now you have a "fresh" drive in the PC and one that's "corrupted" as a back up. You can now clone the corrupted one from the original copy, but you end up where you were before the first clone was made.

The solution (unless one doesn't care about going back to square one) is to research what is causing the problem and solving it. It might be that the OP doesn't use an AV or a program like Malwarebytes. We don't know if they use something like Ccleaner to clear out all the garbage that builds up.

More information from the OP would certainly help.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 PM

1,213 posts, read 836,990 times
If the OP is happy paying $100 to have her temp files cleaned up, I'm gonna guess cloning drives is not likely to happen.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:59 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,016,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It is understood, but the way you told the op to do it is useless.

What good does it do to clone a drive, use it for 6 months (obviously hypothetical) all the while having it build up problems to the point you want to swap drives? All the changes you made over the last six months are lost when you swap.

Assume the first drive has reached the point of requiring a swap after the initial cloning process. When you do the swap you just lost any changes made over that time period. New programs, bookmarks, anything new is gone because it wasn't on the machine when the first clone was made. Now you have a "fresh" drive in the PC and one that's "corrupted" as a back up. You can now clone the corrupted one from the original copy, but you end up where you were before the first clone was made.

The solution (unless one doesn't care about going back to square one) is to research what is causing the problem and solving it. It might be that the OP doesn't use an AV or a program like Malwarebytes. We don't know if they use something like Ccleaner to clear out all the garbage that builds up.

More information from the OP would certainly help.
You are the one who is not helping. I offered the OP a solution and you come in here as a know-it-all arguing just for the sake of arguing, in an incoherent way at that. This is what I do with a new laptop: install the software I use and clone the hard drive. I don't use anti-virus software. My computer has been infected more than once. Every it happened I swapped the drives and clone again. Swapping the drives takes about two minutes. No fee paid. No relying on anyone.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:57 AM

8,082 posts, read 11,894,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Put your city in this search and check reviews.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...sco%2C+CA&ns=1
I did this, probably won't use it at this point but I bookmarked it. Thanks.

Yea, the hard drive thing is too much bother. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Thanks folks! No more responses necessary at this time.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
I used to work with a guy who had once moonlighted for the Geek Squad. He said that the full-time workers were less qualified than he was and they would save the complicated jobs for him. He also felt that the other employees were too quick to resort to wiping computers and reinstalling the OS, without any regard to whether there were solutions that might save customers' data. It seemed plausible to me, since an operation like Geek Squad deals in volume and their slash-and-burn "cure" would indeed return a working computer to the customer.

Based on that insider perspective, Geek Squad is not a place that I would ever use.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:56 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
You are the one who is not helping. I offered the OP a solution and you come in here as a know-it-all arguing just for the sake of arguing, in an incoherent way at that. This is what I do with a new laptop: install the software I use and clone the hard drive. I don't use anti-virus software. My computer has been infected more than once. Every it happened I swapped the drives and clone again. Swapping the drives takes about two minutes. No fee paid. No relying on anyone.
And you insist on missing the point I make. I'm not going to try again. You obviously can't understand it.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:27 PM

13,481 posts, read 25,860,822 times
If my computer has a problem, I take it to a local PC shop that I found on Yelp. They're extremely popular, and it usually takes a week to get my computer back. But when I do, it has no problems anymore.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:27 PM

4,573 posts, read 3,896,201 times
[quote=Tek_Freek;50347545]A good idea, but inaccurate. If you have problems and swap the drives you need to clone again because when the "new" drive sucks (Whatever you do that causes the original to have problems you will still be doing, so the new drive is going to develop the same problems) you have to swap it out to the original again. Right back to the one you originally swapped out with all its problems.

And all the changes you made to the original after the clone and before the swap are lost. If you clone on a regular basis to keep up with changes then whatever makes the original suck is transferred to the clone.

That was hard to explain. I hope you understand it. [/quote]

Yes...older post (I read a lot here on this forum, my first reply ever) but if I understand this correctly, what you're saying is with each successive clone it is only a matter of time...garbage in/garbage out and so it goes.

Makes perfect sense to me, thank you.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:14 PM

5,145 posts, read 1,914,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
If the OP is happy paying $100 to have her temp files cleaned up, I'm gonna guess cloning drives is not likely to happen.
this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers