U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 05:47 PM

1,603 posts, read 631,469 times

Advertisements

My Machine, Your Display Drivers?

Lenovo
Windows 10 Home (x64)

Hard Drive: ST2000DM001-1ER164 (2000.40 GB)

Display Driver: AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics [Integrated Display adapter]
Driver Version: 23.20.788.0 (512 MB)

Processor: 3.50 gigahertz AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G

Since I have been fighting this Windows Update (1709) for the last six months, I have found no answer to fixing the messed up/unusable display problem!

I can't update beyond the 1511 update version where the display is excellent as it was with all of the updates before it!

I have also never come across anyone else that has the same exact problem!

There are plenty of folks that have a problem with the update but not my exact problem.

My question: Would it be practical to list my display drivers and the specs of my machine and ask those who have a similar model ... What display drivers they are using?

I have used every tool and tried every suggestion by others to:

Stop the update from loading a new driver with the update.

(Stopped them but didn't help)

Stopping the update itself (only a delay is possible in Home units)

Installing drivers from AMD. (No help either)

I am at a total loss as to where to go now. 8(

Last edited by claymoore; 12-08-2017 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 07:10 PM

5,725 posts, read 6,916,868 times
Try the Leshcat drivers:

leshcatlabs.net - Your community for modded AMD Catalyst and Intel Graphics drivers.

My wife works as a home agent for LL Bean. She uses her own laptop with their 'Windows2Go' USB drive. Initially, everything was fine...until there was a Windows update. Then her machine kept crashing and she could not log in to the VPN to work. Their IT/Tech Support could not figure out the issue. They sent her another W2G drive, it worked fine...until it updated. They sent her another one, it worked too, until it updated. Their 'IT' claimed that her machine was 'broken' and they were threatening to remove her from the program (fire her). I figured out a work-around to at least get her able to work.

I have a second machine which is a duplicate of hers. I took one of the 'updated' W2G drives and examined it, it became glaringly obvious that it had downloaded 'new' AMD drivers which were [apparently] broken. After a bit of research, I discovered the Leshcat driver community and since there was nothing to lose by trying them on one of the failed USB drives, I downloaded and installed them. Bingo, problem solved.

Then, I had to make it 'official', since I didn't actually have permission to mod their drive. I had the Mrs. make an appointment to talk with a tech rep that she had spoken to previously, at a time when I could be present. Long story short, after talking with the rep and explaining what I had found with the Radeon drivers, she told me that I should be doing her job and she gave me permission to mod the drive and install the new drivers...at which point I told her that I had already done one of the other ones, had tested it and found it to work reliably with the Leshcat drivers. Everybody happy.

Look at the Leshcat site, decide if you think the drivers will work for your chip (I think so). Obviously, if you decide to try their driver, backup, create a restore point, etc. Make your own decision, and do it at your own risk- I can't be responsible if you choose wrong or mess it up somehow.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:19 AM

After all of the Months that I have been fighting and rolling back this creators update, I was determined that today was going to be the Last time I would bother fighting for control of this computer!

Again ... today, the 'update' was forced on me
I was prepared to toss the machine and go and find a Mac!

Guess What?

Seven Months, endless tools, apps and suggestions for a fix ... the cursing and rollbacks have now come to an end!
YAAaaaaaaaaa!!!

For those who were wondering why I have been *******ing for the last seven months about my display after the creators update, the following camera shot will give you an idea of WHY the machine became almost useless!

That is how the desktop display looked and it didn't get any better when opening web pages or reading text!

None of the updates that were installed prior to the 1709 version allowed (on this machine) the adjustment to the bpc or color depth!

The adjustment comes with the Radeon Settings that control the onboard display chip.

It was pure luck that I decided to look at the settings on the updated driver after this update!

All I had to do after all of these months was to change my color depth settings from 10bpc to 8bpc!

That option didn't show until this update!
(See the picture below)

It's Over!
All of these Months of frustration ... ended with the single click of the mouse!

Old 12-12-2017, 04:01 PM

If all of my frustrations in dealing with this mess will somehow help just one other person who is, or will encounter this problem ... It will all have been worth it!

As simple of a solution as it turned out to be, it had to be one of the most difficult pc problems that I have ever had to solve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or