U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 11:00 AM

8,651 posts, read 2,527,583 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Looking for suggestions for a very basic laptop that can handle word/ppt/excel. Nothing more. Doesn't have to be big, would prefer smaller size, preferably under $200. Tablet is out because a keyboard is needed. I have searched and quite frankly just get confused.

Don't need 400 apps. Just basic stuff.

And advice or guidance is appreciated.

Last edited by newtovenice; 12-10-2017 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: ADD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 01:08 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
If a keyboard is the only thing stopping the purchase of a tablet then

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.CTpzkdrdtIw

Old 12-10-2017, 01:17 PM

14,512 posts, read 16,536,277 times
Not really. Laptops in that price range are garbage. Acer Aspire 1. Slightly less garbage but still garbage. It will handle basic Word/PowerPoint/Excel or browsing. It's not going to crunch heavier spreadsheets and will struggle with multi-tasking. Storage is extremely limited like everything at that price point meaning you'll be using the SD card reader a lot.

Going up to $350 you can get what I would call a real laptop instead of a netbook, which is what those $200-250 things are. 1080p screen, core i3, 1TB HD. Throw a second 4 GB stick of RAM and for $400 it's a solid basic laptop. It's twice as much but unless you're just using it to send a few emails and do some shopping on Amazon a few times a week, well, you get what you pay for.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=565108

Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 AM

984 posts, read 1,339,299 times
Depends on what you want it for. A very basic laptop is fine if you have simple needs and don't do video streaming, gaming or multitasking.

I have an "everything" high end laptop and a separate cheap laptop that I only use for finance and banking. The cheap laptop never browses anywhere except to one of my financial websites, and when it is not doing that, it is powered off and disconnected. I bought an HP15 at Walmart - those regularly go for about $250. Supposedly, one of the cheapest times to buy a laptop is around tax time in April or Back To School specials in August. Laptop prices peak in Jan or Feb. Retailers offer steep discounts on the pricier models for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Not at your $200 price point though.

I tried adding keyboards to two different tablets. It worked, sort of, but they felt flimsy and were intermittently glitchy.

Netbooks are cheaper than laptops but you will have to add peripherals such as a DVD reader and, probably extra storage. External storage is cheap these days so I use separate storage devices for photos, documents, etc. Be careful about using these a lot as the USB ports may be damaged on cheap laptops if you frequently use them. In that case, I recommend adding a hub and using that to plug your USB thumb drives and peripherals in. Lesson Learned - If using thumbdrives for storage - backup, backup, backup. Thumbdrives, especially the cheap ones, often go dead without notice. If a photo or document is especially important to you, have a couple copies.

Last edited by ersatz; 12-11-2017 at 06:25 AM..

Old 12-11-2017, 07:18 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
$200 is not enough for a decent laptop.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Depends on what you want it for. A very basic laptop is fine if you have simple needs and don't do video streaming, gaming or multitasking.

I have an "everything" high end laptop and a separate cheap laptop that I only use for finance and banking. The cheap laptop never browses anywhere except to one of my financial websites, and when it is not doing that, it is powered off and disconnected. I bought an HP15 at Walmart - those regularly go for about $250. Supposedly, one of the cheapest times to buy a laptop is around tax time in April or Back To School specials in August. Laptop prices peak in Jan or Feb. Retailers offer steep discounts on the pricier models for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Not at your $200 price point though.

I tried adding keyboards to two different tablets. It worked, sort of, but they felt flimsy and were intermittently glitchy.

Netbooks are cheaper than laptops but you will have to add peripherals such as a DVD reader and, probably extra storage. External storage is cheap these days so I use separate storage devices for photos, documents, etc. Be careful about using these a lot as the USB ports may be damaged on cheap laptops if you frequently use them. In that case, I recommend adding a hub and using that to plug your USB thumb drives and peripherals in. Lesson Learned - If using thumbdrives for storage - backup, backup, backup. Thumbdrives, especially the cheap ones, often go dead without notice. If a photo or document is especially important to you, have a couple copies.

What is a netbook?

I saw a chromebook 11 at Target for $129. Are these total garbage?

Again, I am not looking to use it for Internet, watching DVDs. When I say basic I MEAN basic. Word, ppt, some excel. That's it. I do not want to pay for bells and whistles I will never use.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:38 PM

10,077 posts, read 4,957,850 times
the chromebook isn't bad

you could put linux on it if you want, i forget if chromebook already allows linux apps or not. if so, no need to install linux

Old 12-11-2017, 02:46 PM

5,564 posts, read 3,614,828 times
Netbooks are terrible. And tablets do not have enough functionality.

Bought an Apple MacBook Air laptop computer, and would never go back to a non-Apple Windows based laptop.

$200 or less? wow....

Old 12-11-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Netbooks are terrible. And tablets do not have enough functionality.

Bought an Apple MacBook Air laptop computer, and would never go back to a non-Apple Windows based laptop.

$200 or less? wow....

I love Macs, but not spending $1500.

Basically: Is there a cheap laptop that will act as a word processor? That's it. Would you pay $1500 for a word processor? No. Me neither. Hence the pricepoint.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the replies, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or