Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:16 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am only familiar with Windows 7.

Start - Control Panel - System and Security - Window Update.

You can change the settings there.

Windows updates have never been necessary for me. I turn it off to avoid updates potentially messing up my settings. I use my laptops as a HTPC. Some of the settings and software don't respond well to changes in the OS.

I rely on cloning to keep things secure. Sometimes I even do two clones for each machine.
I found where the updates can be changed, can I just say NO UPDATES and will that mess up computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 09:29 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Not accepting security updates is fine, if you also stop using the Internet! I used to work with a guy who had some super-expensive software that only worked under Windows XP on a specific computer. After Microsoft stopped updating XP, he refused to let his employer update that computer, because he wanted to continue using that software and didn't want to have to pay to upgrade that software with his department's budget. The IT department informed him that that would be fine, as long as the computer was not connected to the Internet or the local network. He accepted that limitation.

Any contact with the Internet could subject your computer to known security risks that it would be wiser to be protected from than to ignore.

It's very much like choosing not to get vaccinated for an infectious diseases. You never know who you might encounter in a public place who happens to be carrying that disease.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 PM

Well, I don't plan to give up internet...that's why I'm own a computer.

I'm trying to keep my computer from turning off after updates are installed which happens when I get an alert to Update....I do the updates and then computer shuts down....I have a button problem on turning computer on so I'm trying to find a solution and it's complicated FOR ME.

I thought Microsoft Essentials Security took care of virus if and when. I just did a 1.5 hr security run and all was fine. I do a quick scan every day but did a full one today.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:46 PM

239 posts, read 194,717 times
Wow thanks, i used the first link, followed the 1 2 3 4 instructions, it was easy, now i've just turned off windows update in windows 10. thanks to OP and davidt1!

Old 12-17-2017, 07:28 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Not accepting security updates is fine, if you also stop using the Internet! I used to work with a guy who had some super-expensive software that only worked under Windows XP on a specific computer. After Microsoft stopped updating XP, he refused to let his employer update that computer, because he wanted to continue using that software and didn't want to have to pay to upgrade that software with his department's budget. The IT department informed him that that would be fine, as long as the computer was not connected to the Internet or the local network. He accepted that limitation.

Any contact with the Internet could subject your computer to known security risks that it would be wiser to be protected from than to ignore.

It's very much like choosing not to get vaccinated for an infectious diseases. You never know who you might encounter in a public place who happens to be carrying that disease.
Your analogy is good. You neglected to mention that the current flu vaccine is only 10% effective, and many people who have had it have complained of reaction to the vaccine and then a full blown case of the flu on top of that. I didn't get the flu vaccine.

The latency of satellite feed and my using a 16bit ascii email program that doesn't even know how to load a virus if I ever did open a junk email tend to make me like a fox when a virus is infecting rabbits. YMMV

Old 12-17-2017, 07:37 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
How to stop Microsoft from constantly updating your PC... Set your connection to "metered."

I purchased a new 75" TV on black Friday. It is a nice set, but it wants to update it's software almost nightly and report my viewing habits back to the mother ship. I disconnected it from my network.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
How to stop Microsoft from constantly updating your PC... Set your connection to "metered."

I purchased a new 75" TV on black Friday. It is a nice set, but it wants to update it's software almost nightly and report my viewing habits back to the mother ship. I disconnected it from my network.
What negatives can happen if we stop the updates? What do those updates do anyway?

Speaking of the flu vaccine and I know this is not about it, but my neighbors both got it and both got sick sick sick with flu. They could NOT get that needle near my arm.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

What does metered mean? I remember seeing that setting when I was in there looking at update info.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:19 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What does metered mean? I remember seeing that setting when I was in there looking at update info.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Microsoft+...t=opera&ia=web

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-windows-10

Old 12-20-2017, 02:23 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Speaking of the flu vaccine and I know this is not about it, but my neighbors both got it and both got sick sick sick with flu. They could NOT get that needle near my arm.
Are you implying that they got the flu FROM the vaccine? I'd like to hear this theory

Also, if you feel that your Microsoft Essentials protects you from everything, um, no. It will protect against things that were known as of the last release, plus any signature updates. The last release was A YEAR AGO. It will not protect you against new malware that wasn't in the system.

That's what upgrading to Windows 10 WILL give you - continued protection with Windows Defender. And even IT isn't as good as other solutions out there. Windows 7 was released 8 years ago, time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers