Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 06:08 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

I remember that years ago I was one of the few who refused automatic updates. I did so for a number of reasons:
1. Having once been an early adopter, I didn't trust them.
2. The stability of my system was a priority.
3. Having limited bandwidth on a satellite feed, every meg counted.
4. A lot of updates were of minimal importance and aimed at other users.
5. I have always viewed allowing ANYONE open access to my system as a security risk.

It seems that the world is now catching up to me and my conservative values.

In the phone forum:
Android updating apps

In this forum, the "no space" BS of a windows update, and the regret over doing a BIOS update.

Last night I got stung again; I had repeatedly denied Firefox an update that was (primarily) to serve quad-core - which I don't have - and the auto-updates to my add-ons happened anyway, so that they would be compatible with that update I never took. Ad-block showed with far more limited functionality, and download helper just plain broke.

IMO, auto-updates are out of control. I was able to revert after some searching, but I am rethinking the old idea of a complete ROM system with added storage for downloads. Each and every day, the ROM would re-assert, wiping any threats, giving stability, presenting an optimized performance, while the storage area could be scanned for problems and then accepted.

Bluntly, what is happening at an increasing pace is that software is trying to optimize for new hardware and bloating, and new hardware straining older software. It is a type of b*tch fight that I want no part of. I am not going to upgrade hardware just because Windows or an app/program has a hard-on for quad core triple scoop mocha pistachio operating hardware.

I want to read relevant news stories, I want to have reproducibility in web pages, I want to not have to continually learn new work-arounds to do basic tasks.

I am at a point that I do not trust ANY program on Win 10 to act consistently for more than a month or two, much less a few years like some of my older programs have. The value to me of such unreliable hardware/software combos is zilch. At some point, if things continue, I will drop off computers completely and take up some occupation that has more stability, even if it is basket weaving. I see no point in wasting my brain trying to keep up and outwit systems designed to try to influence me to buy, change my opinions to idiocy, and irritate me and thwart the simplest of tasks.

"Update" my a** Write your dam programs properly like we all used to and be done with it. Otherwise, I'm happy to help update your sorry butt to the unemployment line and bankruptcy as I join the ranks of those walking away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 06:39 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
I try to run as many apps as I can from a USB drive, Firefox included. I don't normally do updates and if one was forced upon me somehow and if don't like it, I can delete the whole folder where the app is located and copy over another one from any of the five back-up USB drives I have.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:18 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
I gave up the upgrade/update BS many years ago, and I never (and never have) let anything 'auto' update. I made the mistake of updating an old version of FireFox a while ago and have been unhappy with it ever since.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:44 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
How does one turn off updates on desktop computer. Is it necessary and forced on one.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
How does one turn off updates on desktop computer. Is it necessary and forced on one.
I am only familiar with Windows 7.

Start - Control Panel - System and Security - Window Update.

You can change the settings there.

Windows updates have never been necessary for me. I turn it off to avoid updates potentially messing up my settings. I use my laptops as a HTPC. Some of the settings and software don't respond well to changes in the OS.

I rely on cloning to keep things secure. Sometimes I even do two clones for each machine.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:55 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
I use a Windows 7 PC with a 27 inch monitor as a main computer and a 13 inch Chromebook for casual browsing. The Chromebook is much faster and updates take only seconds.
With the high resolution screen of the Chromebook I can read small-font text like here City Data just as well as on the big 27 inch screen.
I can close the Chromebook by folding the top down and open it again and it takes less than 2 seconds to be back where I was before, like typing this.
I don't worry about viruses and spyware. Chromebook is highly recommended as a secondary or a backup device.
Having said that, I can't do many things on it what I can do on the real desktop PC, but I'm not a geek, only a casual user.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:23 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
I use win 7. I stopped updating in Oct 16 when it became a real challenge to get updates to work. Thought it was just me with the problem until I went on sevenforums and discovered that 10's of thousands had the same problem.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am only familiar with Windows 7.

Start - Control Panel - System and Security - Window Update.

You can change the settings there.

Windows updates have never been necessary for me. I turn it off to avoid updates potentially messing up my settings. I use my laptops as a HTPC. Some of the settings and software don't respond well to changes in the OS.

I rely on cloning to keep things secure. Sometimes I even do two clones for each machine.
I tried this on Windows 10, it will let you go for a little while, but eventually all the pop up reminders become bothersome, and then at some point, you wont be able to shut it down without updating. I guess you could just leave the computer on all the time and only disconnect from the internet, that may work long term.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I tried this on Windows 10, it will let you go for a little while, but eventually all the pop up reminders become bothersome, and then at some point, you wont be able to shut it down without updating. I guess you could just leave the computer on all the time and only disconnect from the internet, that may work long term.
A quick search yielded some promising work around.

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-win...te-windows-10/

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...lly-windows-10

Microsoft themselves even show people how to turn off updates in Win 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pgrade-options

Old 12-16-2017, 07:21 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
A quick search yielded some promising work around.

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-win...te-windows-10/

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...lly-windows-10

Microsoft themselves even show people how to turn off updates in Win 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pgrade-options
I discovered that first page listed a year ago and immediately put an end to forced updates. It works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers