U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:20 PM

2,753 posts, read 5,966,066 times

Advertisements

Heyal, Penguin People!

I'm having trouble getting DVDs to run on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS. VLC is my program of choice to play them, but it won't play them. It'll recognize the DVD in the drive, but it won't play them. I'm downloading 17.10 right now, but I doubt that will help.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 02:21 PM

4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
if you live in the u.s. you technically arent allowed to. there is a package libdvdcss which is a library to unencrypt the dvd's content scrambling system.

try making sure libdvdread (maybe also libdvdnav) is installed, you would be able to at least read and navigate the dvd menus.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:11 PM

3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Can you see the contents of the DVD? You should see two folders, one named VIDEO_TS and the other is AUDIO_TS which may be empty. If you can't see them then that may explain why VLC will not work.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:15 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a luck. It's a shame to have a DVD-RW drive on my new laptop, and be unable to use it. Is there any way that I can hack it, and make them think that I live in Canada? I live in Las Vegas, NV.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Can you see the contents of the DVD? You should see two folders, one named VIDEO_TS and the other is AUDIO_TS which may be empty. If you can't see them then that may explain why VLC will not work.
I haven't done that yet, but I'll give it a look, Thanks.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:26 PM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Thanks, I'll give it a luck. It's a shame to have a DVD-RW drive on my new laptop, and be unable to use it. Is there any way that I can hack it, and make them think that I live in Canada? I live in Las Vegas, NV.
This is region coding issue? DVD's purchased in Canada or the US are both region one so it should not be an issue. If the DVD you have does match the region of the DVD player it's not a software issue and AFAIk will never work....

Old 12-13-2017, 05:17 PM

4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
linux-mint, also debian based, allows the playback of commercial dvd's by default. they are headquartered in ireland which is a non-interpol country.

i use fedora so not sure how uptodate this is:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs

Old 12-13-2017, 05:42 PM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
linux-mint, also debian based, allows the playback of commercial dvd's by default. they are headquartered in ireland which is a non-interpol country.

If it's because of region coding the OS is irrelevant, it's the DVD player itself that will prevent playback. The only way to play it is to either get a DVD player that is region free, one that supports the region or hack the firmware if any hack is available.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:50 PM

A new video player installed itself when I stuck a DVD in, but it still wouldn't play it. I was able to see all of the files, but I couldn't play any of them. The only good thing that happened is that I can now watch a bunch of movie trailers. It'd be nice if I could download or stream movies. I finally managed to install Kodi, but I haven't been able to get any movies or TV channels for it. The only movie that it does show available is Firefox, but it won't play it.

Can anyone help me with Kodi?

Old 12-13-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post

Is there a way to run Ubuntu and Mint dual boot? I've heard of some people who run Ubuntu and Widows dual boot. If possible, I'd prefer not to run Windows at all. I did run Windows 10 at least a year ago, but my system crashed due to viruses. A friend of mine who gave me my old laptop installed Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS on it and I don't want to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or