Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:42 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,985 times

Advertisements

Basically I am editing a film project for someone but the files I have been given to edit with are mkv video files, and Premiere Pro, will not accept mkv. So I have to convert it to mp4 or avi.

I tried using VLC player to convert it, using these instructions:

How to convert video files to MP4 format using VLC Media Player

However, when I follow those instructions, VLC converts it to 'ps' file, rather than 'mp4', like the instructions say it will.

Is there a way to this right, or another way to convert? Cause so many sites say to do it the same way, yet everytime I do, I keep getting ps files instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:51 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,470 times
use handbrake

Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 PM

Is it safe though, I mean I'm always afraid to download new software.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:03 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Yes it's safe. I use Xmedia Recode which is also safe.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Is there a way to this right, or another way to convert?
I'd suggest downloading Virtual Dub, this is not editor necessarily but it has all kinds of functions and plugins for processing video.

It's a Windows' world (ads free blog): How to make VirtualDub open/edit mkv, mp4, flv, mov and other file formats?

Try that.

It's all down hill for conversions when dealing with lossy formats. Ideally in most most editors as long as the export file has the same parameters (codec, bitrate, resolution etc.) as the import file it will only re-encode the bits and pieces you have edited thus conversion is only occurring where you have edited such as fades etc.

When this is not possible if for example your editor will not accept the import file convert it using something like Virtual Dub to uncompressed AVI or if you have limited disk space use the Huffy Codec. Huffy is lossless and can reduce the file size considerably over uncompressed. You will still have to convert for export from the editor but you will be avoiding any unnecessary double conversions where edits occur

Old 12-16-2017, 10:25 AM

Okay thanks. I tried Handbrake so far and it worked, the documentary footage is now a high quality mp4! However, the subtitles are no gone and I need them to translate the foreign language. Is there a way to change an mkv into an mp4, and keep the subtitles?

Old 12-16-2017, 01:34 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I tried Handbrake so far and it worked, the documentary footage is now a high quality mp4! However, the subtitles are no gone and I need them to translate the foreign language. Is there a way to change an mkv into an mp4, and keep the subtitles?
In Handbrake, go to the Subtitles tab and click on Add track.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Okay thanks, I tried that. However, the subtitle track is not a separate track that can be pulled in though. It's stuck to the mkv video and can be switched on or off. However, when I go to add track, it then asks me which track I want. But the track is in the mkv video, and not separate to import into handbrake.

So then what?

Old 12-16-2017, 02:20 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
Quote:
Okay thanks, I tried that. However, the subtitle track is not a separate track that can be pulled in though. It's stuck to the mkv video and can be switched on or off. However, when I go to add track, it then asks me which track I want. But the track is in the mkv video, and not separate to import into handbrake.

So then what?
If the MKV video has burned-in subtitle, the new MP4 video should also have the same burned-in subtitle. I just tested this.

Last edited by davidt1; 12-16-2017 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 03:01 PM

Okay thanks, but the subtitles do not show up, after I created the mp4.

The subtitle is not burned in the original mkv though. You can switch it on or off while playing it. So it's not burned in. But I cannot figure out how to dis-attach the subtitle track from the video, in order to import it into handbrake. How do I do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers