U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:48 AM

27,142 posts, read 64,357,877 times

Advertisements

Looking online, there are several suggestions to overclock the CPU I have in my computer to bring it more up to today's standards. They suggest doubling the speed. My son is home for Christmas break and I know he knows how to overclock a CPU, but I do not think he has that much experience with the process or the results. (He has overclocked about three to five CPUs or GPUs as far as I know).

Is it likely to cause a lot of crashes or other problems?

Will it make the chipset overheat?

It is an i7 2600 at 3400 ghz.

No I am not able to replace it or buy a new computer right now so thank you for such advice but that is not what i am looking for. I either overclock it or leave it as is.

I do not have a lot of heavy demands on my computer, although I do play some newish games that seem to have a lot of video demands (Civ v and Vi; some RPGs like BgII or DDO. That is about it). I also tend to have multiple PDFs and word docs (and sometimes a few excl files) open at once. That causes crashes at work, but I am not sure that has anything to do with the speed of the CPU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 10:43 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Your biggest issue will be heat and the stress it will create with other components. You can compensate with a high end cooler, maybe even a water cooler.

Overclocking capabilities will come with your motherboard. Not all have them. You have to look at it from that end.

What kind of system/motherboard do you have?

Old 12-15-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Your biggest issue will be heat and the stress it will create with other components. You can compensate with a high end cooler, maybe even a water cooler.

Overclocking capabilities will come with your motherboard. Not all have them. You have to look at it from that end.

What kind of system/motherboard do you have?
Not sure, it is a Dell 990

I have a water cooler thingy that was my sons, but some part of it broke. I think a pump. I do not know whether replacement parts are available or practical. The cooling thing cost over $150. If I had to buy one, it would not be worthwhile. If I can fix it for a small price, it might be.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:38 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Coolers have to be matched up to the particular type of CPU socket you are using. They are not universal. It may be that the Dell does not offer any overclocking capabilities. It get's a bit technical but in essence, your MB/BIOS has to give you the capability to change thing such as Multiplier, FSB, RAM Timings, RAM Speed, and RAM Ratio.

This may help
http://forums.devhardware.com/showth...765#post567765

Old 12-15-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Coolers have to be matched up to the particular type of CPU socket you are using. They are not universal. It may be that the Dell does not offer any overclocking capabilities. It get's a bit technical but in essence, your MB/BIOS has to give you the capability to change thing such as Multiplier, FSB, RAM Timings, RAM Speed, and RAM Ratio.

This may help
http://forums.devhardware.com/showth...765#post567765
Thank you. that is interesting. Helps to understand some of this stuff. Some of it is still gobbletygook but it may also be a good reference for my son if he does not already know all of that. It looks like doubling the speed may not be the best idea. Also, apparently form some other site it appears if my chip has a K at the end of its identifying number then it can be overclocked,but if no K then it cannot be. Now I just need to find out whether it has a K.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Funny thing on cooling, my other son has a cobbled together gaming computer (mostly by his older brother). The parts do not fit in the case, so some of them are kind of all over the place. He bought a new cooling thing for the CPU, but it is not enough. He has one of those squirrel cage fans like they use to dry out carpet after a flood that blows a powerful blast of air over the entire sprawled out system 24/7. I am surprised that does not cause problems with static electricity, but it has been that way for a year I think.

I do not want components all over the place outside the computer cabinet, and a fan blowing air over the system. If that is what it takes, I will just stick with a slower chip.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:17 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,287,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you. that is interesting. Helps to understand some of this stuff. Some of it is still gobbletygook but it may also be a good reference for my son if he does not already know all of that. It looks like doubling the speed may not be the best idea. Also, apparently form some other site it appears if my chip has a K at the end of its identifying number then it can be overclocked,but if no K then it cannot be. Now I just need to find out whether it has a K.
Correct. K is the CPU can be over clocked with right software and hardware. If your MOBO can not allow you to change the step settings, then you can not overclock your cpu. If you can change it, suggest that you do it one step at a time and test. Do this till it crashes or just instantly blue screen on you and shut down. That is your limit. Heat is going to kill your CPU, so really suggest you find a way to get that resolved. But like others said, your first step is to see if you can do this via your mother board, then check for cpu abilities, then heat dissipation.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:58 PM

1,212 posts, read 836,022 times
Your processor isn't that far from current specs. You might be better served by updating your video card, if gaming is the priority. Your other tasks aren't putting much demand on the processor.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:24 PM

14,514 posts, read 16,536,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Looking online, there are several suggestions to overclock the CPU I have in my computer to bring it more up to today's standards. They suggest doubling the speed. My son is home for Christmas break and I know he knows how to overclock a CPU, but I do not think he has that much experience with the process or the results. (He has overclocked about three to five CPUs or GPUs as far as I know).

Is it likely to cause a lot of crashes or other problems?

Will it make the chipset overheat?

It is an i7 2600 at 3400 ghz.

No I am not able to replace it or buy a new computer right now so thank you for such advice but that is not what i am looking for. I either overclock it or leave it as is.

I do not have a lot of heavy demands on my computer, although I do play some newish games that seem to have a lot of video demands (Civ v and Vi; some RPGs like BgII or DDO. That is about it). I also tend to have multiple PDFs and word docs (and sometimes a few excl files) open at once. That causes crashes at work, but I am not sure that has anything to do with the speed of the CPU.
Doubling, no. Not without liquid nitrogen anyway.

You don't have a K series processor (or maybe you do) so the overclocking is more limited as you can only go so far with the multiplier. Somewhere around the 4.0 ghz range is about what to expect, assuming the motherboard allows overclocking. An i7 2600K can hit 4.6-4.8 with pretty good consistency on air cooling. If you did well on the Silicon Lottery (every chip is unique) 5.0 ghz is possible, although unlikely.

Those old chips had excellent OC potential. While there's much more to it than just raw CPU clock and an i7-7700K (4.2 ghz) is faster clock for clock, they can't really overclock much more than an i7 2600K can. They might post and run fine at lighter loads, but under sustained higher loads they almost all crash at 5 ghz. Temperature is not nearly as important with Sandy Bridge. Case with good air flow and a stock cooler is sufficient although a larger aftermarket CPU cooler would let you go a little farther if you have a 2600K with less noise emissions.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:11 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
The first thing to do is look in the BIOS and see if it has setting for "Turbo" mode, this is a factory overclock. If so turn it on.... It will opportunistically overclock it based on the system condition, CPU heat etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers