Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 12:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,604,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I can't imagine how the button can be replaced without removing the whole or a good portion of the tower cover.
You're not comfortable doing that? It's not as difficult as most imagine. Although getting to the front where the button is might, might, be a bit daunting.

Where to find the serial number. It's right above the red box in the pic. If you want to post it we can search for it and perhaps find the instructions for replacing it.

The person who told you $300 is ripping you off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 02:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,665,099 times
I finally talked to the tech guy I know and he's going to call me back when he's more able to talk, he's busy with stuff right now. Being a rather OLD person I can't get down and do stuff I might have been able to do years ago PLUS I'm not tech oriented or mechanical either....a little maybe but mostly not. Thanks and I'll wait to hear what Archie tells me.

I'm not buying into that $300 message but he's the first person I actually talked to while browsing for support.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,604,759 times
Sounds like waiting is an excellent option.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:00 PM

Just got a message from Archie and he said to get the button part from Lenovo....and said this:

The probable cause are the metal spring malfunction or the metal contact accumulated debris of very tiny plastics from the many times the power button was depressed. You definitely have to secure that part from Lenovo. Other IT Technician can definitely fix it, but you need to be sure what part he/she used and what method of “fix” that person used; if it’s a remedy or a permanent fix. )))

So now I've got to call Lenovo again and see if I can get the part.

Or uninstall the updates as that's the only time the computer turns off....otherwise it's in sleep mode...is that an OK thing to do? Are those updates really needed.

thanks...

Old 12-16-2017, 09:22 PM

Another thought -- if I turn the updates off then my computer will not turn off automatically. Is it OK to stay in the Sleep mode indefinitely? then I don't have to worry or deal with the button issue.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:29 AM

16,503 posts, read 19,590,522 times
The computer should RESTART when it updates. Not shut down?!?

Yes, sleep is meant for long term...it won't hurt anything.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The computer should RESTART when it updates. Not shut down?!?

Yes, sleep is meant for long term...it won't hurt anything.
My computer does NOT Restart, it turns off. Then in morning I have to use button (which is wearing down).

I get different answers, is it OK to turn OFF updates? No harm done in this action?

Well, thru Lenovo and the Geek Squad who does their work, I have a tech coming Thur. to replace power button deal...$100. Might as well get it done right FOR NOW. Until I really need that new computer.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-18-2017 at 12:57 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 04:28 PM

UpDate: The Geek Squad Tech Shannon just left.

He got the wrong order from the dispatcher and a Button Assembly is not available. Out of the country, yes, and he's going to look for it on his own on ebay, he does a lot of personal stuff on ebay...loves it.

He took the cover off where the Power Button is and saw how the plastic was warped. The button still works but there is a "sweet spot" I have to hit.

He changed Settings for what he feels is best for my use.

He is a great person and a great benefit he liked my artwork which is all over my apt and I told him to choose one and it's his. He went right to one he liked and walked out with it. He said his wife paints.

Topper, no charge and he was here for about an hour.

So now I've got to think more about a new desktop and even a larger monitor. I'll maybe get more serious about that first of year.

Thanks...

Old 12-22-2017, 11:23 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,812,971 times
I think you should re-evaluate your needs to have the machine manually turned off.

Change the settings so that it turns itself off after so much time of no use. (I'd use 60 min to sleep, an extra 30 to go off). And have the BIOS settings so that it 'listens' to the keyboard and/or mouse for 'wake up'.

That way when you're done for the day, just walk away. It goes to sleep in in an hour, and if you don't come back it then goes full off.

The next morning, just hit the space bar or jiggle the mouse, and it'll wake up.
The front panel power button is never touched.

Once a week, for security and system flushing, I power mine down. I tell it to go to sleep, and then reach back and pull the plug for at least a minute. That way even the internal capacitors are drained. Only the on-board clock is maintained by it's own watch-type battery.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I think you should re-evaluate your needs to have the machine manually turned off.

Change the settings so that it turns itself off after so much time of no use. (I'd use 60 min to sleep, an extra 30 to go off). And have the BIOS settings so that it 'listens' to the keyboard and/or mouse for 'wake up'.

That way when you're done for the day, just walk away. It goes to sleep in in an hour, and if you don't come back it then goes full off.

The next morning, just hit the space bar or jiggle the mouse, and it'll wake up.
The front panel power button is never touched.

Once a week, for security and system flushing, I power mine down. I tell it to go to sleep, and then reach back and pull the plug for at least a minute. That way even the internal capacitors are drained. Only the on-board clock is maintained by it's own watch-type battery.
I have no clue what you are saying....come sit here and walk me thru what you feel is right for me and my computer.

To manually turn off is more wear and tear on the power button assembly. I'm doing all to avoid using that button more than I have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers