U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 10:22 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times

Advertisements

Ed is saying go to CONTROL PANEL and fine the POWER setting. There you can tell the computer to SLEEP after xx minutes. In SLEEP mode the computer will wake up if you press keys on the keyboard.
You could manually check for updates, too, and then you can reboot when it's done never having to use the button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Once a week, for security and system flushing, I power mine down. I tell it to go to sleep, and then reach back and pull the plug for at least a minute. That way even the internal capacitors are drained. Only the on-board clock is maintained by it's own watch-type battery.
Stop doing that, Ed. That's silly.
This is not aiding security... and I'm not even sure what you think 'system flushing' is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 11:31 PM

26,028 posts, read 9,241,023 times
I wish I knew what the last couple posters are talking about. I'd love to never use the power button again, but the Geek tech said there was no way for that. I thought he was a good tech, but what the heck do I know. So many comments.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:29 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Do you not know how to get to CONTROL PANEL?

What version of Windows are you on?

Old 12-23-2017, 01:56 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Ed is saying go to CONTROL PANEL and fine the POWER setting. There you can tell the computer to SLEEP after xx minutes. In SLEEP mode the computer will wake up if you press keys on the keyboard.
You could manually check for updates, too, and then you can reboot when it's done never having to use the button.

Stop doing that, Ed. That's silly.
This is not aiding security... and I'm not even sure what you think 'system flushing' is.
Struck me as odd as well.

Quote:

I think you've forgotten to take into account all those people who really don't know how to do these things, and until there is a problem that requires it, don't care.

That would be about 80% of users over 50... at a guess.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:54 PM

26,028 posts, read 9,241,023 times
Quote:

Yes, I can go to control panel, I'm Windows 7.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:42 PM

1,603 posts, read 630,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I think you should re-evaluate your needs to have the machine manually turned off.

Change the settings so that it turns itself off after so much time of no use. (I'd use 60 min to sleep, an extra 30 to go off). And have the BIOS settings so that it 'listens' to the keyboard and/or mouse for 'wake up'.

That way when you're done for the day, just walk away. It goes to sleep in in an hour, and if you don't come back it then goes full off.

The next morning, just hit the space bar or jiggle the mouse, and it'll wake up.
The front panel power button is never touched.
If the machine is full off, hitting the space bar or 'jiggling' the mouse won't turn it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or