U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 11:40 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,450,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
If I replace that hard drive it will be with a 1tb HDD. Am I able to clone it SSD to HDD? And will the laptop have the space for a HDD?
It will probably be cheaper to buy the computer with a 1TB hard drive over an SSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 11:44 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
It will probably be cheaper to buy the computer with a 1TB hard drive over an SSD.
Damn! Missed that. I bet you're right.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:41 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,450,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
If I replace that hard drive it will be with a 1tb HDD. Am I able to clone it SSD to HDD? And will the laptop have the space for a HDD?
You can't always change an SSD to a HDD. It is possible that the laptop manufacturer decided that they didn't want to accommodate a 2.5in HDD SATA drive and just has a mSATA connector.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:51 PM

^ Good point. You really have to be careful when buying laptops now. There are so many variations.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:11 PM

1,525 posts, read 2,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You can't always change an SSD to a HDD. It is possible that the laptop manufacturer decided that they didn't want to accommodate a 2.5in HDD SATA drive and just has a mSATA connector.
Might not even have an mSATA slot - could be NVMe/PCIe only.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:34 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
There are literally 100's of laptops with huge hard drives. I don't understand the dilemma here. It's silly to spend good money on a brand new laptop and then replace the drive.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...?skuId=6112001

Old 12-23-2017, 11:35 AM

14,518 posts, read 16,543,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There are literally 100's of laptops with huge hard drives. I don't understand the dilemma here. It's silly to spend good money on a brand new laptop and then replace the drive.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...?skuId=6112001
Not at all. A lot of times they gouge like he'll on RAM and HD so you're better off getting the smallest amount even if it means chucking the two 2 gig sticks for two 4 gig or one 8 gig stick as it costs less that way. You do need to do a bit of research, however. Some laptops the RAM is soldered to the board and some laptops are damn near impossible to get open at all. Some laptops have open slots for a 2.5" drive, some don't have any 2.5" slots at all which means SSD storage only which is very expensive if you want a couple terabytes of capacity without using external drives.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not at all. A lot of times they gouge like he'll on RAM and HD so you're better off getting the smallest amount even if it means chucking the two 2 gig sticks for two 4 gig or one 8 gig stick as it costs less that way. You do need to do a bit of research, however. Some laptops the RAM is soldered to the board and some laptops are damn near impossible to get open at all. Some laptops have open slots for a 2.5" drive, some don't have any 2.5" slots at all which means SSD storage only which is very expensive if you want a couple terabytes of capacity without using external drives.
My wife's new HP. I have never seen a more idiotic method for holding a case together. Before I show the way it's done I want to mention that my new Dell laptop requires the removal of one screw to open the case.

Here's are two pictures that are shown with the directions from HP.

This is after removing the optical drive and the battery. Note there are 13 screws to remove. Add one for removing the optical drive. So 14 screws.

The most interesting portion of these directions is the final sentence. "Reverse the removal procedure to install the base enclosure."

What is left out is that you have to use a spudger to pry the entire base enclosure off the top to remove it. HP gives you the impression that you just lift it off.

I'm replacing her SSD drive today. Should be interesting.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:48 PM

14,518 posts, read 16,543,509 times
Service hatches are glorious things. Sad times when I got my first Lenovo without one. And then you get your first laptop where they glued it together like a damn phone.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:06 PM

5,564 posts, read 3,845,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My wife's new HP. I have never seen a more idiotic method for holding a case together. Before I show the way it's done I want to mention that my new Dell laptop requires the removal of one screw to open the case.

Here's are two pictures that are shown with the directions from HP.

This is after removing the optical drive and the battery. Note there are 13 screws to remove. Add one for removing the optical drive. So 14 screws.

The most interesting portion of these directions is the final sentence. "Reverse the removal procedure to install the base enclosure."

What is left out is that you have to use a spudger to pry the entire base enclosure off the top to remove it. HP gives you the impression that you just lift it off.

I'm replacing her SSD drive today. Should be interesting.
If that is an HP 15, like mine, I had to remove the keyboard too. If you have to, be careful with the cable, I had problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or