U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 02:21 PM

696 posts, read 645,266 times

Advertisements

I was looking at new laptops and alot of them did not have a ethernet port. Since wifi can be slow sometimes I would like to be able to direct wire the internet to it. I came across "ethernet adapters" which use a USB port, like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M77HMU0...a-195027879195

Do these actually work? Has anyone here ever used them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 03:08 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,016,210 times
Yeah, some ultra light laptops don't come with an Ethernet port. Most laptops, fortunately, still do. 705 people bought and reviewed that adapter and gave it a good rating. I would say it works. Fakespot gives those reviews an A rating.

Laptop used to have built-in microphone.

TV used to have headphone output.

Discs players used to have headphone output.

Some phones, I hear, don't have headphone outputs anymore.

I don't like the trend.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:34 PM

14,518 posts, read 16,543,509 times
Yes. Ultrabooks do not have Ethernet ports as they are too thin to fit them, which means dongles. Laptop is fine with wireless though with a decent wireless router. Desktop is wired although in the past I have had to use wireless.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,489,851 times
The Amazon Gigabit Ethernet Adapter shown should work fine.

My laptop is set up with a wired connection to my router when I'm not carrying it for travel.
I use wired vs wireless as wired is 100% secure, and it's faster.

However, a while back a power surge in the incoming cable burnt out the cable companies router,
and (because I'd been too lazy to run the cable through my UPS), the Ethernet circuity of my PC, AND the Ethernet circuity of the Laptop.

I got my own Modem/Router/WiFi, and for about $15 each, an Ethernet PCi card for my PC and an Ethernet USB dongle for the laptop, and all work again.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:21 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Laptop used to have built-in microphone.
Most laptops still have mics. Skype is still a thing.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:31 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,016,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Most laptops still have mics. Skype is still a thing.
Is it the tiny hole next to the camera? OK, looks like I was wrong about that.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:46 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,523,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I was looking at new laptops and alot of them did not have a ethernet port. Since wifi can be slow sometimes I would like to be able to direct wire the internet to it. I came across "ethernet adapters" which use a USB port, like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M77HMU0...a-195027879195

Do these actually work? Has anyone here ever used them?
I've used a host of such adapters over the years . . . both 10/100 adapters (the earlier slower Ethernet standard) and which use USB 2.0 and now own Gigabit Ethernet adapters which use USB 3.0 and some that use the newer USB-C standard (the fastest USB type to-date).

All my notebooks over the years and presently did come with built-in Ethernet ports but sometimes a built-in Ethernet port may be malfunctioning. Or, in one case of mine, with one of my ultracompact notebooks (a Samsung), the Ethernet port itself works but said port (which Samsung calls a "LAN port") has what they label a "LAN port cover" situated below it and that part had come loose and then come off. Without it, I can't attach an Ethernet cable to the port and have it stay intact in the port. Hence, unless I can somehow fix and then securely re-attach that LAN port cover over the built-in Ethernet port's opening, I cope with it by using an Ethernet-to-USB converter with that particular Samsung notebook, like you are thinking of doing.

Actually, rather than using a single-purpose Gigabit Ethernet-to-USB adapter, I've found various compact & narrow travel-size USB 3.0 hubs (some such USB hubs come with a USB Type-A connector and other such hubs come with a USB Type C connector) that also have a Gigabit Ethernet port built into them as well. An example of such a USB hub that has a Gigabit Ethernet port built-in into as well and is USB Type C is the Cirago USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet + USB 3.0 Ports Adapter (Mfr Part # USBC2RJ45U3). An example of such a USB hub that has a Gigabit Ethernet port built-in into as well and is USB Type A is the TP-LINK USB 3.0 3-Port Hub & Gigabit Ethernet Adapter 2-in-1 USB Adapter (Mfr Part # UE330) and the JC Technologies 3-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (Mfr Part # JC-888).

Last edited by UsAll; 12-21-2017 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers