U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:32 PM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times

Advertisements

double post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 07:33 PM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I didn't find most of the changes found in W10 to be that much different. the one that seems to drive most people crazy is the slide out "tiles" thingamabob.
You can also customize the tiles, delete what you don't want. Drag and drop programs you use a lot.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:36 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Thanks you two. I've finally had some free time to futz with it. Dumped a bunch of junk I don't need or want there and moving things I use a lot to it. It's now smaller and I like the ease of getting to programs that would be way down the Programs list.

I dislike a bunch of icons on my desktop and this is helping with that as well.

Old dog. New tricks.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:47 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
So can I install Windows 10 although I have Win 7 working now? Could I try to get used to it while I still have the other one working ok? Or would the computer be totally confused? I see I can download Win 10 for just $ 39 on a website I just found that seems ok. Just trying to figure out how to learn 10 without giving up 7. TIA
Buy an external drive large enough to hold the amount of data you have on all your drives.

Download a program like Macrium (free, home version)

Use the program to clone your existing drive(s) to the external.

Install 10.

If everything goes to pot clone the external back to the internal.

And yes, my (and I'd wager others) guidance will be available for running the program. It's actually pretty easy once you understand the interface.

I've been using it to upgrade the SSD dries on our server (done) and the two laptops (this weekend). At first the program threw me a bit of a curve, but once I figured out what they expected of me it became straightforward. And it is very forgiving. If you mess up it's easy to fix the error. Believe me, I know. I did the first clone wrong, (misread a number so I ended up not using the entire drive) the second clone wrong, (decided to use the entire drive and Windows did not like that) then figured out what I was doing wrong - and it was me - not the program. The third time was a piece of cake. (left a few gigabytes free)

So you have my experience to help you if you do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or