U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 09:28 AM

258 posts, read 269,410 times

Advertisements

Windows 10 v. 1703 laptop with Office 2016 worked fine before the 1709 update - which almost killed my laptop completely - but finally got it mostly-working again, only to find that now nothing in Office 2016 (most importantly, WORD) works. It just give me several error messages, starting with "Microsoft Office Standard 2016 Configuration did not complete successfully", followed by "Microsoft Office can't find your license for this application. A repair attempt was unsuccessful or was canceled".

I have tried to do a repair from the start menu, but nothing has worked. I bought this laptop used already with MS Office on it and haven't had any issues until this Windows Update. Nothing I have found online anywhere else has helped.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 09:41 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Here's one link to a Microsoft page

Office 2016 worked fine before the 1709 update

And a Google search. The search may seem like a lazy answer, but there are a lot of hits regarding your problem.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:55 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,517,090 times
Windows 10 strikes again. Yet another reason I will not downgrade to 10 from my perfectly working 7.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:36 AM

258 posts, read 269,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Here's one link to a Microsoft page

And a Google search. The search may seem like a lazy answer, but there are a lot of hits regarding your problem.

Your link = "Page not found"

And I only post here after days of Googling and trying those results with no progress.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:40 AM

8,066 posts, read 6,133,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Windows 10 strikes again. Yet another reason I will not downgrade to 10 from my perfectly working 7.
Well said. Dell reported w10 failed, MS insisted so I changed. Laptop failed as expected by Dell. Reverted and installed new license number back to W7.
You did backup or set a restore point?

Old 12-26-2017, 07:55 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,517,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Well said. Dell reported w10 failed, MS insisted so I changed. Laptop failed as expected by Dell. Reverted and installed new license number back to W7.
You did backup or set a restore point?
I just prevented 10 from installing on my 3 computers, 2 laptops, one for the wife and one for me, and my desktop. I refuse to take anything that was forced on me, had it been offered but not forced via updates, then I probably would have gotten suckered in.

While I am told that 10 works good on computers that came with it and some later computers that were upgraded, from friends and reading, I have found that it often does not work well on some older Windows 7 computers that were forced to upgrade and that a lot of software is not compatible or will no longer work once 10 is installed, and I refuse to buy new programs just because MS wants to force me to.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:31 PM

9,071 posts, read 6,396,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Windows 10 v. 1703 laptop with Office 2016 worked fine before the 1709 update - which almost killed my laptop completely - but finally got it mostly-working again, only to find that now nothing in Office 2016 (most importantly, WORD) works. It just give me several error messages, starting with "Microsoft Office Standard 2016 Configuration did not complete successfully", followed by "Microsoft Office can't find your license for this application. A repair attempt was unsuccessful or was canceled".

I have tried to do a repair from the start menu, but nothing has worked. I bought this laptop used already with MS Office on it and haven't had any issues until this Windows Update. Nothing I have found online anywhere else has helped.

Any suggestions?
I so understand your frustration, Dean.

I run Office '97 on my W10 laptop and, since the 1703 update, now get error messages when starting Excel or Word. But I was lucky - I can click ok and ignore the messages and they still work. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you on Office 2016.

1703 was the last update I did or will do for the foreseeable future. Because the ONLY way to live with Windows 10 is to turn updates OFF. That won't help you with your current issue, but will likely help you avoid nightmares down the road. I no longer suffer the woes that others post about regularly. A little over a year ago I bought a brand new Lenovo laptop and within 6 weeks one of Microsoft's forced gems rendered it completely unbootable. That was the last straw.

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-win...te-windows-10/

Old 12-29-2017, 08:48 AM

4,259 posts, read 3,440,464 times
Reinstall from original media? Do a repair install from add remove programs? I'd actually start with the latter.

Other than system restore, what should have been your first option not sure why you didn't move on to repair installation as second a half hour later rather than Googling around trying to figure out why your license key it expired.

If you bought it used from eBay or whatever, I wouldn't bet the store on any pre-installed applications in terms of Licensing. It's possible it could have a volume licensing key that has been determined to be stolen. Microsoft completes updates periodically to check for things like that these days. Turning off updates is retarded, it's a strategy for people working back in the XP days when you could actually get away with things like that over the long term. Since Windows 10 is a continuous update operating system that won't work for long.

As Microsoft used to say, if you are the victim of software piracy they're glad to help you via Online subscription options like o365 which I believe costs $49.95 per year. I just installed it for the first time on one of my personal machines.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Reinstall from original media? Do a repair install from add remove programs? I'd actually start with the latter.

Other than system restore, what should have been your first option not sure why you didn't move on to repair installation as second a half hour later rather than Googling around trying to figure out why your license key it expired.

If you bought it used from eBay or whatever, I wouldn't bet the store on any pre-installed applications in terms of Licensing. It's possible it could have a volume licensing key that has been determined to be stolen. Microsoft completes updates periodically to check for things like that these days. Turning off updates is retarded, it's a strategy for people working back in the XP days when you could actually get away with things like that over the long term. Since Windows 10 is a continuous update operating system that won't work for long.

As Microsoft used to say, if you are the victim of software piracy they're glad to help you via Online subscription options like o365 which I believe costs $49.95 per year. I just installed it for the first time on one of my personal machines.
No, allowing Microsoft to attack your computer on a regular basis is what's retarded. But you are certainly free to keep parroting that line and thus keep along with the rest of the herd.

Wise and disciplined users are far better off today without their "updates", just as (with few exceptions) we were in the XP days, and were in the W98SE days. I have been proving it for over 20 years.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I so understand your frustration, Dean.

I run Office '97 on my W10 laptop and, since the 1703 update, now get error messages when starting Excel or Word. But I was lucky - I can click ok and ignore the messages and they still work. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you on Office 2016.

1703 was the last update I did or will do for the foreseeable future. Because the ONLY way to live with Windows 10 is to turn updates OFF. That won't help you with your current issue, but will likely help you avoid nightmares down the road. I no longer suffer the woes that others post about regularly. A little over a year ago I bought a brand new Lenovo laptop and within 6 weeks one of Microsoft's forced gems rendered it completely unbootable. That was the last straw.

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-win...te-windows-10/
Someone anonymously repped me for this post, saying "Great information but why even have 10 if we have to do that." First, thank you for the rep. Now I'll answer the question.

The short answer is that there's NO reason to have 10 if you have any other practical option.

I have 10 only because the hard drive on my custom-built XP machine bit the dust about August of last year. Up to that point, I had absolutely no intention of ever downgrading to any of Microsoft's newer OSs. I re-installed XP (my disk was SP2, I believe) on a different hard drive, then found that SP3 was no longer available from MS or any other legitimate source that I could find at the time. SP3 is absolutely essential because so much other software requires it - won't run on earlier versions. In addition, SP3 upgraded Outlook Express to compatibility with current mail protocols. I found that, after relying on OE for most of 20 years, I could no longer even configure it to work in the absence of SP3. I was SOL and needed a new computer....like today. And 10 is the only game in town on new machines, unless you go with Apple, of course, and pay 3 or 4 times the price.

So I was dragged to 10 kicking and screaming and would still be running XP today, perfectly safely I might add, had I not lost my hard drive with XP SP3.

If you're running 7 and like it, stay with it. If you're fortunate enough to still have XP SP3, so much the better. Stay with 'em is my advice.

Microsoft software value and quality has been moving backward for about 17 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers