Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 01:39 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

While I realize that could be possible, if someone did that and my email address was part of the email (which someone is trying to say it was) wouldn't I be able to see that in my sent items?

Someone was trying to say I kept on sending her emails, most of them with a virus, I don't have any sent emails to this person, in my sent folder in close to 2 years. She's trying to say that since I put her email address in my spam folder, that's how her getting these emails happened.

However, none of these alleged emails, show up in my sent folder.

I'm aware that someone could have stolen her email address from my spam and sent her these emails, but, I don't see how I could have the originating email address or even been CC'd on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 05:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
The "reply to" and "from" field on an email can be set to anything. Assuming web based email they could of hacked into either of your email accounts and obtained your contacts.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:57 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
thecoalman is right.

A close inspection of the email headers would indicate the source. The email address is arbitrary though. Anyone can set it to anything.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:47 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
While I realize that could be possible, if someone did that and my email address was part of the email (which someone is trying to say it was) wouldn't I be able to see that in my sent items?

Someone was trying to say I kept on sending her emails, most of them with a virus, I don't have any sent emails to this person, in my sent folder in close to 2 years. She's trying to say that since I put her email address in my spam folder, that's how her getting these emails happened.

However, none of these alleged emails, show up in my sent folder.

I'm aware that someone could have stolen her email address from my spam and sent her these emails, but, I don't see how I could have the originating email address or even been CC'd on it.
When I saw the discussion topic, my first thought was, when "I eat an orange, does the garage door open?" The answer to your question is no. The woman who claims you are sending her viruses because you essentially blocked her incoming email is talking nonsense.

I agree with what others have said - you need to have a look at the email using the "view source" option on the email to see the ip routing and html details. If you want to continue a conversation with this person, ask her to forward the email to you. Scan it with your virus checker first because if what she is saying is true, there will be a virus attached to the email. However, given that you blocked her email by tossing it in with spam, you should probably stick to your initial decision and ignore her. What she claims makes no sense.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:01 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
When I saw the discussion topic, my first thought was, when "I eat an orange, does the garage door open?" The answer to your question is no. The woman who claims you are sending her viruses because you essentially blocked her incoming email is talking nonsense.

I agree with what others have said - you need to have a look at the email using the "view source" option on the email to see the ip routing and html details. If you want to continue a conversation with this person, ask her to forward the email to you. Scan it with your virus checker first because if what she is saying is true, there will be a virus attached to the email. However, given that you blocked her email by tossing it in with spam, you should probably stick to your initial decision and ignore her. What she claims makes no sense.
I politely asked her to do that (send me at least one of the emails).
But she got all defensive for saying that she made it up.
So I took that (her not sending proof) that she did make it up.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:05 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I politely asked her to do that (send me at least one of the emails).
But she got all defensive for saying that she made it up.
So I took that (her not sending proof) that she did make it up.
Something is going on here that has nothing to do with computers.

I'm guessing that you moved her email to the spam folder because you didn't want to hear from her anymore. What she is doing is alleging that your computer is sending her viruses because her email is in the spam folder, and that you need to move her email back to inbox to protect her computer.

It's nonsense. If she did send proof, it's easy to check where the email came from, which ip addresses it bounced off, and whether there are any harmful attachments.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:05 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Anyone can send emails using your email address. I even get spam emails from my email address, so I've added my own email address to my blocked list.

Ask your friend to send you the email header, which may tell you where the email really originated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers