U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 10:23 AM

633 posts, read 386,825 times

Advertisements

Please allow me to ask some questions about the new router I bought, which is a Linksys AC1750. But these questions probably apply to all of them. My older router is about 7 years old and was working just fine by the way.

1. First and foremost, what does it matter if the new router can deliver speeds up to 1.7 gbps, if the internet speed of my provider is only 56 mbps? Or am I confused about this? Are these not the same thing? I went to an internet speed test site and the download time on the laptop that is farthest away from the router is no different.

2. All of these new routers talk about being able to handle multiple devices at the same time. But what if it's just me? I have 2 personal computers, one in the bedroom and one in the dining room much further away, a smart phone and a TV that is smart, but I don't use Netflix or similar. But here's the thing, I'm never using any of these devices at the same time. So doesn't that negate handling multiple devices?

3. I have Dish network. There is one thing that that I'm pretty sure is pulling from the internet which is sports scores. There's an app on Dish that brings this in. Also there are apps on my new Samsung TV which should be pulling from the internet (but I barely use). But here's the thing.........none of these are working any faster. In fact, they might be slower. So this makes me believe that my older router is doing just as much as this new fancy router.

I think that's about it. I only paid $79 for the new router, but I still think I might return it, unless someone can convince me that I'm not seeing something correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 11:13 AM

4,592 posts, read 8,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Please allow me to ask some questions about the new router I bought, which is a Linksys AC1750. But these questions probably apply to all of them. My older router is about 7 years old and was working just fine by the way.

1. First and foremost, what does it matter if the new router can deliver speeds up to 1.7 gbps, if the internet speed of my provider is only 56 mbps? Or am I confused about this? Are these not the same thing? I went to an internet speed test site and the download time on the laptop that is farthest away from the router is no different.

2. All of these new routers talk about being able to handle multiple devices at the same time. But what if it's just me? I have 2 personal computers, one in the bedroom and one in the dining room much further away, a smart phone and a TV that is smart, but I don't use Netflix or similar. But here's the thing, I'm never using any of these devices at the same time. So doesn't that negate handling multiple devices?

3. I have Dish network. There is one thing that that I'm pretty sure is pulling from the internet which is sports scores. There's an app on Dish that brings this in. Also there are apps on my new Samsung TV which should be pulling from the internet (but I barely use). But here's the thing.........none of these are working any faster. In fact, they might be slower. So this makes me believe that my older router is doing just as much as this new fancy router.

I think that's about it. I only paid $79 for the new router, but I still think I might return it, unless someone can convince me that I'm not seeing something correctly.
1 - not to confuse you more. But there are various Wifi speed standards. AC is one of them. And the theoritical speed of AC is 1331mbps. When a router advertises 1750, it's typically a dual band. Meaning it supports AC as well as N (the previous top tier). N tops out at 450. So when you add the two, you have approximately 1750. So while the router technically can support 1750mpbs, you're not going to have a single session that is transmitting at that top speed.

And you are not confused. These are simply "maximums" based on the standard. What you see in reality is never going to be that high given network overhead, attenuation, etc. And you are correct about only being as fast as the slowest link (in this case, 56mbps). But, also do realize that this speed applies across your network. In some circumstances, you may still be able to use it on your internal network (file transfers, local streaming, etc). So the 56mbps will only apply when you are using services based specifically from the Internet.

2 - Won't apply to you as much since you won't be sharing your network. Albeit #3 brings that back into the equation. That said, these services typically use very little bandwidth (unless you start streaming content).

At the end of the day - I think the most telling story here is that you don't actually "need" the new router based on the fact that you don't have any current performance issues (correct?). I don't know what your current router is, but the choice is certainly up to you. I'm still using the N standard with over 20 devices on my network and is working fine. Not saying you shouldn't upgrade - but everything is on a case by case basis.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
1 - not to confuse you more. But there are various Wifi speed standards. AC is one of them. And the theoritical speed of AC is 1331mbps. When a router advertises 1750, it's typically a dual band. Meaning it supports AC as well as N (the previous top tier). N tops out at 450. So when you add the two, you have approximately 1750. So while the router technically can support 1750mpbs, you're not going to have a single session that is transmitting at that top speed.

And you are not confused. These are simply "maximums" based on the standard. What you see in reality is never going to be that high given network overhead, attenuation, etc. And you are correct about only being as fast as the slowest link (in this case, 56mbps). But, also do realize that this speed applies across your network. In some circumstances, you may still be able to use it on your internal network (file transfers, local streaming, etc). So the 56mbps will only apply when you are using services based specifically from the Internet.

2 - Won't apply to you as much since you won't be sharing your network. Albeit #3 brings that back into the equation. That said, these services typically use very little bandwidth (unless you start streaming content).

At the end of the day - I think the most telling story here is that you don't actually "need" the new router based on the fact that you don't have any current performance issues (correct?). I don't know what your current router is, but the choice is certainly up to you. I'm still using the N standard with over 20 devices on my network and is working fine. Not saying you shouldn't upgrade - but everything is on a case by case basis.
Thank you for your thorough answers.

And I do realize the thing about transferring from one device to another within my home. But I cannot think of any time that I've done this or will do this. Or if I have, whatever I did apparently was fast enough for me.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:30 PM

4,544 posts, read 7,540,487 times
Quote:
Nope, spot on. I upgrade routers when they fail, or the majority of devices can use a standard it doesn't offer. I've had 3 wireless routers since 2001 and the 3rd only because the cable company wouldn't take it back.

Newer routers CAN offer better range, better connectivity through multiple inputs and outputs, better security (though actually updated firmware), etc

Quote:
You still have multiple devices that will be on the network at the same time. Your phone doing an update while you're on a computer and the TV on. This is a marketing gimmick though.

Quote:
Some of that could be related to setup, it might be the difference between a 5ghz and a 2ghz radio, different radio channels than the prior router that have a lot of competition with neighbors, etc... It's almost certainly not the router's Ability, but slight differences in setup.

Routers are one of those things where if it's not broke, don't fix it. I like playing with networking, made a career out of IT and networking, but I don't bother with changing routers out. Get your money back, spend it on something that'll make an Actual difference in your life (good meal? good liquor? new pair of shoes?), you'll be better off for it.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

Some of that could be related to setup, it might be the difference between a 5ghz and a 2ghz radio, different radio channels than the prior router that have a lot of competition with neighbors, etc... It's almost certainly not the router's Ability, but slight differences in setup.

Routers are one of those things where if it's not broke, don't fix it. I like playing with networking, made a career out of IT and networking, but I don't bother with changing routers out. Get your money back, spend it on something that'll make an Actual difference in your life (good meal? good liquor? new pair of shoes?), you'll be better off for it.
Love your answers. I do want to ask about this answer regarding the 5ghz versus 2 ghz. Supposedly the router has each of these but the instructions make it sound like only one device can be put on the 5ghz. But is that right? If that is correct, what would I put these devices on if I keep the router?

laptop right beside the router - I'm assuming 2 ghz
laptop in the dining room - furthest away, I do more streaming on this than the TV
TV - which is on dish and I never use Netflix or online streaming or at least it's limited. I can wait on those sports scores.
Smart Phone - I do more streaming from this than any device.

Based on the above, it seems like I should be connecting the smart phone to the 5ghz, and the others to 2ghz.

But what is your opinion? Or should put everything on the 5ghz since it's just me, and I'm seldom using two at once?

Old 01-02-2018, 04:11 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,287,974 times
Quote:
Love your answers. I do want to ask about this answer regarding the 5ghz versus 2 ghz. Supposedly the router has each of these but the instructions make it sound like only one device can be put on the 5ghz. But is that right? If that is correct, what would I put these devices on if I keep the router?

laptop right beside the router - I'm assuming 2 ghz
laptop in the dining room - furthest away, I do more streaming on this than the TV
TV - which is on dish and I never use Netflix or online streaming or at least it's limited. I can wait on those sports scores.
Smart Phone - I do more streaming from this than any device.

Based on the above, it seems like I should be connecting the smart phone to the 5ghz, and the others to 2ghz.

But what is your opinion? Or should put everything on the 5ghz since it's just me, and I'm seldom using two at once?

5gz is for higher bandwidth speed. The downside is penetration. You can not get the range that you can get on the 2.4ghz

You can use 5gz and 2.4 on different devices just long as your device can support it. Just your device can only connect to one or the other, not both. If your device supports it, i would push for 5gz, but if you travel around your house, stick with the 2.4 due to wall penetration and range.

Last edited by hitpausebutton2; 01-02-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 04:27 PM

4,544 posts, read 7,540,487 times
Quote:
As HitPause mentioned, the 5ghz spectrum allows for a couple positives (less congested radio space, faster speeds, better stability when connected) but with the major negative of less penetration through walls so you don't get the same range. Generally, if you can reliably connect to 5ghz, you probably ought to.

Each device can only connect to Either the 2ghz or the 5ghz spectrum, this is what was meant by what you read as "one device on 5ghz".

Only about half of my devices can even do 5ghz, so I run both. In reality, while I have a 60mbps download through my ISP, I only get that with wired connections. 5ghz wireless I can see between 40~50 and 2ghz is more like 30. So there's efficiency improvements with the 5ghz spectrum as well.

Still, we're splitting hairs here. Semantics that don't make one bit of difference in real world usage (for how you plan to use your devices). Is it really "better" if you notice zero difference/change?

Old 01-02-2018, 04:59 PM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:
The router is going to be limited by the slow link in the chain, for the internet your connection speed is going to be far below anything the router can handle. If you have a really fast connection in a lot cases the server for the site/service itself will be the slowest. On the other hand if you have adapters capable of those speeds and are transferring files from one device to another you'll benefit from the faster speeds.

Quote:
You are going to have mmutiple receptacles in your house and there is times you will be using a lot of them. Same thing here.

Quote:
Again the speed of what you downloading will be slowest link in the chain.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:12 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Keep the router. Move on with your life.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Keep the router. Move on with your life.
I returned it last night. Now I'm moving on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or