Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 07:59 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,176,505 times

Advertisements

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYMU3PG/

Typically, desktop and monitor are two separate pieces. When I look at the link, it looks like it is only monitor.

Does today's technology merge desktop and monitor together? What if I want to play disc, can this product handle it?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 08:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
That is an all-in-one. The computer innards are behind the screen. They have been n the market for quite a while in various forms starting in the 1980's. A lot of people recommend not buying them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deskto...ter#All-in-one

Old 12-25-2017, 09:23 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,176,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That is an all-in-one. The computer innards are behind the screen. They have been n the market for quite a while in various forms starting in the 1980's. A lot of people recommend not buying them.

I don't really understand why not recommend buying them, from the link.

I am considering it for the purpose of home theater.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:30 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Because when you want to replace the computer, you also have to toss a perfectly good monitor, and you often get somewhat less powerful components than you'd find in a tower.

All that said, an all in one can be a perfectly good option. I would have no qualms about owning one.

That model actually has an optical drive so you can play DVDs. It seems like you'd need an external drive if you wanted Blu-ray though.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:45 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
The philosophy behind liking a combination-unit ("All-in-one" computer" is the same as the old combination TV and VCRs. They are convenient at first, because you know they will work well together, but if one component fails, you have to replace the entire system, not just that component.

Other downsides:
You can't just upgrade to a bigger screen, or get a faster CPU, or add internal hard drives.

There are Upsides: Think of it as a high-end tablet.
A screen and keyboard larger than most tablets, and a faster processor. Just as easy to carry and use in the field and travel with.

It just depends on what you want to use if for.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:32 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

I don't know if people are having trouble with all in one computers, but Apple started the trend years ago with the iMac, and these are very reliable, but pricy. All in one computers i would not buy are the ones with touch screens.

I have been using two 21" screen iMacs for photo editing since 2010, and they have been flawless running CS5 and CS6, plus NIK and OneOne apps.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:48 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't know if people are having trouble with all in one computers, but Apple started the trend years ago with the iMac, and these are very reliable, but pricy. All in one computers i would not buy are the ones with touch screens.

I have been using two 21" screen iMacs for photo editing since 2010, and they have been flawless running CS5 and CS6, plus NIK and OneOne apps.
iMacs have historically been laptop parts shoved behind a better than average monitor.

I had a great iMac I ultimately sold. I kind of wish I kept it around now. It wouldn't be my primary system, but it would have its uses.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

I had a large portable computer before the Macintosh AIO came to market. Apple didn't start the trend as it already existed. The flavors had problems and the iLamp had QC problems. Not one of them were easy to work on.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:21 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
I would personally keep the display and the PC unit separate. Makes upgrades easier and also configuration options will be more flexible.

If you are not interested in a big/bulky desktop or even a small laptop, you could go for a micro form PC like Intel NUC.
They can easily be attached/mounted behind the screen or on the monitor wall mount.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
I don't really understand why not recommend buying them, from the link.

I am considering it for the purpose of home theater.
There is no problem with AIO's. Realize that this model is from November 15, 2016, so look for a more current model. For what purpose would you use in a home theater?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers