U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:11 AM

9,569 posts, read 12,509,841 times

Advertisements

Also, never, ever call the numbers listed on the emails as they could be part of the scam process. Look the company up yourself and call that number. It's stories like this that reaffirms why these scams continue to work; people just keep throwing common sense to the curb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 AM

15,233 posts, read 20,182,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
... you still need to consider doing a credit freeze at the three agencies...

I'm not trying to make you less careful about identity theft, but I get many, many of those phishing emails and I dont worry about them. All they have is your email address. They dont have your credit card info.

They're sending you phony emails about various credit card/bank accounts in the hope that you have one of those credit cards/bank accounts and will log in to the credit card/bank site through the phony link provided in the email -- if you do that, then they'll have access to your login information.

So, if you ignore the emails, why should you worry about identity theft from them? Yes, it's a good idea to check your credit with all three credit agencies annually (using one agency every four months), but not because of phishing emails -- just because it's being proactive.

Last edited by TFW46; 01-09-2018 at 12:24 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM

5,562 posts, read 3,842,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I'm not trying to make you less careful about identity theft, but I get many, many of those phishing emails and I dont worry about them. All they have is your email address. They dont have your credit card info.

They're sending you phony emails about various credit card/bank aco****s in the hope that you have one of those credit cards/bank accounts and will log in to the credit card/bank site through the phony link provided in the email -- if you do that, then they'll have access to your login information.

So, if you ignore the emails, why should you worry about identity theft from them? Yes, it's a good idea to check your credit with all three credit agencies annually (using one agency every four months), but not because of phishing emails -- just because it's being proactive.
I would keep in mind the time bomb called Equifax. It was hacked and most people's info is out on the web.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:22 PM

15,233 posts, read 20,182,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I would keep in mind the time bomb called Equifax. It was hacked and most people's info is out on the web.

I agree. But my responses were in reply to the OP's concern about the effect of the phishing email.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:49 PM

11,613 posts, read 20,767,085 times
Exactly (wouldn't let me rep you again TFW46) - I get lots of emails about fraud(s), etc. on credit cards that I don't have - they are all phishing - just ignore them. Not sure why OP responded to one (at least

Old 01-09-2018, 08:37 PM

18,536 posts, read 55,453,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Exactly (wouldn't let me rep you again TFW46) - I get lots of emails about fraud(s), etc. on credit cards that I don't have - they are all phishing - just ignore them. Not sure why OP responded to one (at least
Meh, respond - but spoof the name of your unfavorite politician, the head of the FTC, the head of the FCC, and the CEOs of whatever major corporations you hate.

Extreme attempts at fraud are best dealt with by those who know the ins-and-outs of such stuff and have a vested interest in preventing it from spreading....

I only partly say that as satire. Rattling the cages of those with power can be extremely effective in resolving problems with ankle biters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or