U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:51 AM

14,569 posts, read 9,065,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Start simple, reseat the RAM.
That's a great comment.

Back years ago I was a navy technician. 1964, in fact. When I first finished school and reported aboard ship the chief gave me a nickle and a flashlight, and told me I was going to be first on site on every single call - day or night.
The nickle was used to open cabinet doors and the flashlight was to be used to LOOK! Then, after I had observed symptoms and evidence I could call an experienced technician to come help me fix the problem. I was amazed at how often I did not make that call. Just fixed it myself and went back to bed.

Maybe I'll get that lucky with this computer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 03:46 PM

1/13/17...

No luck. Re-seated the RAM, looked carefully at what I could see, checked out his monitor by hooking it up to my system.

Decided to replace the full Monty - power supply (what th' heck.. $20), Motherboard (ASRock 97M), and went for the processor (Intel G1860) as well.
Total cost $200.

It's a pain to remember how I did this all 3 years ago, but there is no hope for the BIL figuring it out for himself. Sometimes ya just gotta help out when you can.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:42 PM

7,379 posts, read 8,001,963 times
There is very little chance that you need to replace all 3. I've been building and repairing computers for two decades, and only had one which needed the full rebuild - and that was because a liquid cooling unit sprung a leak and fried everything.

It could be something as simple as a bad monitor cable.

Power supply could be bad. Just because it fires up doesn't mean that it is sending the correct voltage on every leg. I actually had one that showed the same symptoms as yours, and the PSU was dropping voltage on the lines that went to the video card. Yours is onboard, but it could be the same issue. To check a power supply, you need a multimeter and a list of voltages for each leg. These should be on the PSU label, if not check the manufacturer's website.

The chance of your processor being bad is almost nil. Even if the heatsink fan is totally occluded, they don't fry - especially from what us gamer types would call light use. The PC will shut itself down before the processor gets hot enough to be damaged.

Trying to diagnose the computer without actually having it hooked up in a working environment (monitor, keyboard, mouse) is a pointless exercise.

If you or he have $200 to throw at the problem, it's all good. However, I'd be trying to figure out exactly what the problem is and buying only what I needed to fix it.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There is very little chance that you need to replace all 3. I've been building and repairing computers for two decades, and only had one which needed the full rebuild - and that was because a liquid cooling unit sprung a leak and fried everything.

It could be something as simple as a bad monitor cable.

Power supply could be bad. Just because it fires up doesn't mean that it is sending the correct voltage on every leg. I actually had one that showed the same symptoms as yours, and the PSU was dropping voltage on the lines that went to the video card. Yours is onboard, but it could be the same issue. To check a power supply, you need a multimeter and a list of voltages for each leg. These should be on the PSU label, if not check the manufacturer's website.

The chance of your processor being bad is almost nil. Even if the heatsink fan is totally occluded, they don't fry - especially from what us gamer types would call light use. The PC will shut itself down before the processor gets hot enough to be damaged.

Trying to diagnose the computer without actually having it hooked up in a working environment (monitor, keyboard, mouse) is a pointless exercise.

If you or he have $200 to throw at the problem, it's all good. However, I'd be trying to figure out exactly what the problem is and buying only what I needed to fix it.
I hear ya.
Wish I was a bit better at troubleshooting this kind of thing, but I'm not.

Monitor and cable are OK; I hooked them up to my computer and they worked fine.

BIL isn't paying me to do this and $200 is not too much to ask of him. I only want to do the job once, since it's kind of a pain.
A couple of years ago he asked me to fix a lawn mower for his son. When I got the thing all tuned up and humming, he just put it in his own garage! Said his son didn't really need it yet........
So I ain't real fired up about spending a lot of time on his computer. But it is what it is - his wife is my wife's best friend...

Just out of curiosity, how would you detect an inoperative processor? If I had an oscilloscope I think I may be able to see if it's clocking at the right rate of 2.7 Ghz........... is that how you would do it?

Last edited by Listener2307; 01-13-2018 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or