U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:36 PM

4,366 posts, read 3,646,921 times

Advertisements

Everything is so expensive, but I want to learn serious programming, and I cannot seem to stay focused enough to try to teach myself. There's just so much to explore; I don't know which websites to go to if I want more than just a general overview of coding. I want to start working on real projects and earning certification without getting really frustrated, and I just can't seem to find that with free tutorials on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 02:54 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,321,260 times
No idea if this will help, but here it goes:

https://www.inc.com/larry-kim/9-plac...-for-free.html

Old 01-14-2018, 03:17 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,489,851 times
This is such a broad subject and one that changes enormously on a very short time scale.
You might get a better response here if you listed some specifics about what you wanted to do, in which industry.
Data Mining? Code authoring? Website creation? etc. are all very different career paths and knowledge sets.

One tip I heard, was to find The Perfect Job. Say you hear of a job with one company that is exactly what you want to do. Contact their HR dept and ask them, "If you were hiring for that position, what education and credentials would you require?". This gives you some specifics to work for.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
This is such a broad subject and one that changes enormously on a very short time scale.
You might get a better response here if you listed some specifics about what you wanted to do, in which industry.
Data Mining? Code authoring? Website creation? etc. are all very different career paths and knowledge sets.

One tip I heard, was to find The Perfect Job. Say you hear of a job with one company that is exactly what you want to do. Contact their HR dept and ask them, "If you were hiring for that position, what education and credentials would you require?". This gives you some specifics to work for.
I think I want to learn mainly app design, website creation, and game design.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
I think I want to learn mainly app design, website creation, and game design.
From what I know (and that's not all that much), those are three fairly different career paths, taking different skill sets.

My brother is an app designer, spent at least 5 years learning the biz and he's still doing it half hobby, half work because that's such a nebulous career.
A good friends son has lived his life to be a game designer. He has designed actual computer games since he was about 8, and is currently in a collage computer-graphics department, following an actual computer game curriculum. He feels a degree that specific is necessary, and also intends to work to get some pretty tough coding-specific certifications because those are the minimum of the 'dues to pay' to be taken seriously in a field with hoards of wanna-bees hoping to get in.

I don't mean to be mean, or critical, but you sound like someone who says, "I want to work with animals". But doesn't know if they want to be a veterinarian, circus animal trainer, service dog trainer, law enforcement K-9 partner, or animal shelter staff.

Perhaps some research / career counseling or talking to those who already do what you're interested in is would help you refine your goals.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 AM

annnnd you may be in luck. I just read this:

Google just announced a program to "to help give people with no prior IT experience the basic skills they need to get an entry-level IT support job in 8 to 12 months."

https://it.slashdot.org/story/18/01/...ntent=FaceBook

Old 01-16-2018, 01:28 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,419,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Everything is so expensive, but I want to learn serious programming, and I cannot seem to stay focused enough to try to teach myself. There's just so much to explore; I don't know which websites to go to if I want more than just a general overview of coding. I want to start working on real projects and earning certification without getting really frustrated, and I just can't seem to find that with free tutorials on the internet.
Lynda.com is a great resource for learning IT based skills. I think it's about $20/month, but it's well worth it. I get it through my workplace and use it for my hobby skills, but it's a great site for things you might be interested in learning.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:06 AM

2,580 posts, read 1,315,199 times
EdX
Coursera
Udemy
Code Academy

Old 01-19-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
EdX
Coursera
Udemy
Code Academy
Thanks. I'm trying a few Udemy courses now.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Lynda.com is a great resource for learning IT based skills. I think it's about $20/month, but it's well worth it. I get it through my workplace and use it for my hobby skills, but it's a great site for things you might be interested in learning.
What is Lynda? Is it like Udemy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers